Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #91
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I'm not going to do that as it's not really a statue I like very much from a purely aesthetic stand point. I've already spent more time talking about it today than I'd have chosen to. My original reply was simply to point out the nature of forums and why they shouldn't matter too much to your own opinions. Maybe you'll get lucky and somebody like minded will come along and give you the debate you'd like, but if you expect that kind of thing, you may be in the wrong place. Not to talk down about this community of which there are plenty of great members, but we aren't all art connoisseurs around here. I'm certainly not and I'm sure you're way more educated on the subject than I am. I just like statues of various creatures and characters. I'll debate Gigers "Big chap" with you all day long and argue its case as being the best on screen creature ever designed quite happily as it's something I have a passion for, maybe I am boring, but the original Alien sells and Sideshow haven't really made a decent one in a long time, it wouldn't be a bad business move to do so. I already gave the reasons above as to why I suspect this is a (commercial) flop. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad statue which is always open for debate.

I fully agree about pointless comments calling stuff crap with no reason as to why, I'd much rather see constructive discussion (negative and positive) But you're always going to get that on the internet I'm afraid, I didn't do this. Again, I'm sincerely happy that this statue brings you happiness, enjoy it.

All of that said, there is an art section, maybe start a thread there about there about your opinions of art in statue form or however you'd wish to word it. Maybe you'll stir up some similar thoughts and emotions and find more appreciation for this statue than most of us can give it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
You're more patient than me Matt
More patient than most, I imagine. I’m sure I would have only escalated the situation, were the conversation directed at myself. Very refreshing to see someone take the time to reply with such patience and rarely seen etiquette. Bravo. Others could learn from this example, myself included.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:10 PM   #92
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I'm not going to do that as it's not really a statue I like very much from a purely aesthetic stand point. I've already spent more time talking about it today than I'd have chosen to. My original reply was simply to point out the nature of forums and why they shouldn't matter too much to your own opinions. Maybe you'll get lucky and somebody like minded will come along and give you the debate you'd like, but if you expect that kind of thing, you may be in the wrong place. Not to talk down about this community of which there are plenty of great members, but we aren't all art connoisseurs around here. I'm certainly not and I'm sure you're way more educated on the subject than I am. I just like statues of various creatures and characters. I'll debate Gigers "Big chap" with you all day long and argue its case as being the best on screen creature ever designed quite happily as it's something I have a passion for, maybe I am boring, but the original Alien sells and Sideshow haven't really made a decent one in a long time, it wouldn't be a bad business move to do so. I already gave the reasons above as to why I suspect this is a (commercial) flop. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad statue which is always open for debate.

I fully agree about pointless comments calling stuff crap with no reason as to why, I'd much rather see constructive discussion (negative and positive) But you're always going to get that on the internet I'm afraid, I didn't do this. Again, I'm sincerely happy that this statue brings you happiness, enjoy it.

All of that said, there is an art section, maybe start a thread there about there about your opinions of art in statue form or however you'd wish to word it. Maybe you'll stir up some similar thoughts and emotions and find more appreciation for this statue than most of us can give it.
Guess T.S. Eliot was a little too much? But seriously, no sweat man, I wasn't trying to pin you. To each his own & all that. Just wanted insight, & you express yourself well, as I have a penchant for buying, & absolutely digging statues that people hate.

Take care Python, & may we all be so lucky as to find our ideal Alien, & bask blissfully within the nightmare. It seems I have.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #93
Divo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post

More patient than most, I imagine. I’m sure I would have only escalated the situation, were the conversation directed at myself. Very refreshing to see someone take the time to reply with such patience and rarely seen etiquette. Bravo. Others could learn from this example, myself included.

So, you who hides behind others various posts repeatedly, is really the big bad escalator? And WTF do you know about patience and etiquette shown by some of the members here? Is your prime example of patience & etiquette the childishly vicious, utterly baseless, silly insulting comments spewed within the first few hrs of SS showcasing the piece? Yeah, that shows a lot of patience & insight from you upstanding members. And as for etiquette? Read the fcking posts. Where is this etiquette you speak of? What a fcking joke.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:22 AM   #94
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
So, you who hides behind others various posts repeatedly, is really the big bad escalator? And WTF do you know about patience and etiquette shown by some of the members here? Is your prime example of patience & etiquette the childishly vicious, utterly baseless, silly insulting comments spewed within the first few hrs of SS showcasing the piece? Yeah, that shows a lot of patience & insight from you upstanding members. And as for etiquette? Read the fcking posts. Where is this etiquette you speak of? What a fcking joke.
I was just taking a moment to compliment a fellow member whom I thought was well spoken and considerate of the viewpoints of others. No offense was intended.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #95
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

There's a lot of tension in here for a statue no one asked for in the first place.

Can I appreciate the artistic talent that created this statue? Sure. Doesn't mean it's a statue I want in my collection--and I'm obviously not alone. Most collectors would much rather have a representation of a character that's true to the film/show/comic/etc. that they love. This statue, while perhaps sculpted well, doesn't fulfill that. They can put as many "Giger" qualities as they want in a statue, but it still isn't canon. These artistic interpretations are a tough sell anyway, but as prices rise in this hobby and as the competition from other companies gets tougher, a statue like this is an even tougher sell than usual.

Regardless, everyone should just collect what they like. Don't worry about the resale value or edition size. Don't worry about people not agreeing with your opinion. Don't get irritated if people don't appreciate a statue as much as you do. Who cares? Are you buying it to impress other people or are you buying it because you need it in your collection?
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #96
Divo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post
I was just taking a moment to compliment a fellow member whom I thought was well spoken and considerate of the viewpoints of others. No offense was intended.
I know what you said, just not sure why you said it? What points of view are you championing a defence to?

Again, I have nothing against negative critiques, but vile BS without reason or rhyme, is offensive, on all levels. Especially when the rabid dog/mob crowd spew literally within minutes of a pic being shown. Again, does this type of garbage commentary showcase a lot of patience and etiquette?

No offence meant? You did say you would have escalated the situation if addressed to you. Well now, it's addressed to you. What, and why would you feel you would have to escalate anything? Was my commentary, and praise of the statue more offensive than all the mindless, ignorant posts? Instead you follow the pack? Come on man. You want to champion something, try respectful insights and critiques, objectively, instead of coddling the SS hate crowd.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #97
Divo

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
There's a lot of tension in here for a statue no one asked for in the first place.

Can I appreciate the artistic talent that created this statue? Sure. Doesn't mean it's a statue I want in my collection--and I'm obviously not alone. Most collectors would much rather have a representation of a character that's true to the film/show/comic/etc. that they love. This statue, while perhaps sculpted well, doesn't fulfill that. They can put as many "Giger" qualities as they want in a statue, but it still isn't canon. These artistic interpretations are a tough sell anyway, but as prices rise in this hobby and as the competition from other companies gets tougher, a statue like this is an even tougher sell than usual.

Regardless, everyone should just collect what they like. Don't worry about the resale value or edition size. Don't worry about people not agreeing with your opinion. Don't get irritated if people don't appreciate a statue as much as you do. Who cares? Are you buying it to impress other people or are you buying it because you need it in your collection?
Tension? Man, that started two minutes into the start of this thread. A cacophony of opinions in two minutes flat, (we must be blessed with a slew of accomplished art directors), with a chorus of followers loving, & cheering on the mindless, ignorant, offensive bs.

As for me needing the approval of fellow collectors to justify a purchase? Man, do you have the wrong guy.

Here's some recent purchases, you know, based on the deep & thoughtful critiques/opinions expressed by way too many all knowing on these boards.

1. "Leaning" Astonishing Wolverine

2. "Strutting" Capt. America

3. "Stumbling" Juggernaut

4. "Tripping" Sabretooth

5. "Fcked-up anatomy" Flash

And now this masterful Mythos sculpt, no matter how you define it. So thanks, but I'm Good.

P.S. As for people wanting canon? SS provides plenty, so why the complete senseless outrage when they decide to stretch some creative muscles? Instead crucifying the work mercilessly, senselessly, you should be applauding the effort, even if it's not your cup of tea. There should be room for both. Not a bunch of loud mouths coming off like entitled little sh!ts, under the guise of protecting there all important, life affirming statue collection. Must be, with all that vile passion displayed.

I mean when SS releases canon hulk, spider, wolvie.....etc, people b!tch about the same old, but dare SS venture? Well, they become creatively lost, greedy, conspiring, literally the most vile company in the statue market. Fcking really?

This Mythos is a masterpiece of a sculpt, and don't really care who buys, or has the capacity/interest/time to appreciate it. Just a loss that this level of detailed, quality work was so quickly and ignorantly dismissed.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #98
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
I know what you said, just not sure why you said it? What points of view are you championing a defence to?

Again, I have nothing against negative critiques, but vile BS without reason or rhyme, is offensive, on all levels. Especially when the rabid dog/mob crowd spew literally within minutes of a pic being shown. Again, does this type of garbage commentary showcase a lot of patience and etiquette?

No offence meant? You did say you would have escalated the situation if addressed to you. Well now, it's addressed to you. What, and why would you feel you would have to escalate anything? Was my commentary, and praise of the statue more offensive than all the mindless, ignorant posts? Instead you follow the pack? Come on man. You want to champion something, try respectful insights and critiques, objectively, instead of coddling the SS hate crowd.
I was commending a member on their ability to empathize with the viewpoint of others and respond in a cordial fashion. From my perspective, it felt like there was tension in this particular thread. Of course, that's subjective, as it can be difficult to interpret tone in a post.

I don't believe I've ever felt that I "have" to escalate a situation. The problem is that I can be argumentative at times, only for the sake of argument, which tends to needlessly escalate conversation to the point where it isn't civil.

I'm not sure why you would correlate my previous posts with Sideshow hate. I'm a fan of and own many of their products.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #99
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Tension? Man, that started two minutes into the start of this thread. A cacophony of opinions in two minutes flat, (we must be blessed with a slew of accomplished art directors), with a chorus of followers loving, & cheering on the mindless, ignorant, offensive bs.

As for me needing the approval of fellow collectors to justify a purchase? Man, do you have the wrong guy.

Here's some recent purchases, you know, based on the deep & thoughtful critiques/opinions expressed by way too many all knowing on these boards.

1. "Leaning" Astonishing Wolverine

2. "Strutting" Capt. America

3. "Stumbling" Juggernaut

4. "Tripping" Sabretooth

5. "Fcked-up anatomy" Flash

And now this masterful Mythos sculpt, no matter how you define it. So thanks, but I'm Good.

P.S. As for people wanting canon? SS provides plenty, so why the complete senseless outrage when they decide to stretch some creative muscles? Instead crucifying the work mercilessly, senselessly, you should be applauding the effort, even if it's not your cup of tea. There should be room for both. Not a bunch of loud mouths coming off like entitled little sh!ts, under the guise of protecting there all important, life affirming statue collection. Must be, with all that vile passion displayed.

I mean when SS releases canon hulk, spider, wolvie.....etc, people b!tch about the same old, but dare SS venture? Well, they become creatively lost, greedy, conspiring, literally the most vile company in the statue market. Fcking really?

This Mythos is a masterpiece of a sculpt, and don't really care who buys, or has the capacity/interest/time to appreciate it. Just a loss that this level of detailed, quality work was so quickly and ignorantly dismissed.
It's amazing. Everything you type is condescending and/or an immature effort to convince everyone how smart you are and how much you appreciate art. You're severely overestimating how much anyone cares about what you think.

This piece is a good sculpt, but that doesn't mean Alien fans are going to buy it. Just like most people want established comic or movie statues of Batman, Superman, Predator, Captain America, Spider-Man, etc. A non-canon version of any character is a tougher sell--especially at today's prices. You either understand that or you don't. If you understand it, then none of the combativeness is necessary. You can enjoy a statue without ----ting on anyone who doesn't. If you don't understand it, then that explains your responses in this thread, and there is no point in continuing to talk about it (or anything else) with you.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #100
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
Just like most people want established comic or movie statues of Batman, Superman, Predator, Captain America, Spider-Man, etc. A non-canon version of any character is a tougher sell--especially at today's prices.
This is a big one for me. It's interesting that the creator(s) had different ideas during prototyping and creative stages, and I can certainly appreciate that, but what actually ends up on the big screen is what's cemented in the minds of most fans.

It reminds me of The Death of the Author research paper. Basically, the separation of the creator and the creation once the creation is in the hands of the masses. I believe this was one reason the George Lucas Star Wars "re-masterings" were so poorly received.