Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #101
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post
This is a big one for me. It's interesting that the creator(s) had different ideas during prototyping and creative stages, and I can certainly appreciate that, but what actually ends up on the big screen is what's cemented in the minds of most fans.

It reminds me of The Death of the Author research paper. Basically, the separation of the creator and the creation once the creation is in the hands of the masses. I believe this was one reason the George Lucas Star Wars "re-masterings" were so poorly received.
In a hobby based on popular culture, the source material is almost always going to be preferable to collectors than an artist interpretation. This doesn't mean the artist interpretation is automatically a disappointment, but an accurate Alien Warrior statue will always sell better than a "What if?" version. This shouldn't surprise anyone that's halfway cognizant of the hobby.

Shows, movie, books, etc. are generally the same way. If that media is changed by anyone then fans feel like it isn't being respectful of the original. Even if they like the changes, the thoughts and feelings toward the original will remain superior.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #102
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post
I was commending a member on their ability to empathize with the viewpoint of others and respond in a cordial fashion. From my perspective, it felt like there was tension in this particular thread. Of course, that's subjective, as it can be difficult to interpret tone in a post.

I don't believe I've ever felt that I "have" to escalate a situation. The problem is that I can be argumentative at times, only for the sake of argument, which tends to needlessly escalate conversation to the point where it isn't civil.

I'm not sure why you would correlate my previous posts with Sideshow hate. I'm a fan of and own many of their products.

Look, I wasn't looking to start an argument, but was attempting to make one.

This sculpture was labelled, announced, and clearly presented/offered under the "MYTHOS" banner, which the whole purpose of is to explore, expand on iconic characters in a unique & creative way. So what's wrong with that? To not judge it based on the "mythos" premise, or worse, not even take the time to understand the intentions before judgement, is simply wrong.

With a little research, the more you understand. The more you understand, the more you see. The more you see, the more you can appreciate. Or not. But at least with reason(s), insight(s), context, fairness. We should consider "working" with the home team, rather that skewer them ignorantly/senselessly. Who knows, they may start listening, as we should recognize and accept the reasons their "Ask Sideshow" thread went dark.

P.S. Yes, another "arty" take on this statue. So, what's wrong with that? But seriously, 2 weeks now, and this thing is mesmerizing. What's surprising from my initial reaction to it's sinister, threatening pose, is one of pity/compassion/revulsion, all of it.

I can only think that the more visceral, tangible, more relatable feelings/emotions this work evokes are due to the skull, empty sockets, and the overall feminine vibe and pose, as well as the more human skin tones. My gal actually commented it's sexy!? But sculpt does have an underlying vibe that's hard to describe. "She" seems terrifying, but at the same time pained, anguished. Again, hard to explain, but extremely effective.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #103
generalzodlives

Not surprisingly, this is on sale during Spook. Use code ALIENMYTHOS for $80 off and free shipping.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #104
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

Free US shipping, that makes it possible to use the loop hole of no UK tax. Makes this something to think about. ��

It’s definitely grown on me.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #105
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Torpedo View Post
Free US shipping, that makes it possible to use the loop hole of no UK tax. Makes this something to think about. ��

It’s definitely grown on me.

What is this loophole out of interest?
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #106
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
What is this loophole out of interest?
I’ll pm you the info
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #107
Divo

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
It's amazing. Everything you type is condescending and/or an immature effort to convince everyone how smart you are and how much you appreciate art. You're severely overestimating how much anyone cares about what you think.

This piece is a good sculpt, but that doesn't mean Alien fans are going to buy it. Just like most people want established comic or movie statues of Batman, Superman, Predator, Captain America, Spider-Man, etc. A non-canon version of any character is a tougher sell--especially at today's prices. You either understand that or you don't. If you understand it, then none of the combativeness is necessary. You can enjoy a statue without ----ting on anyone who doesn't. If you don't understand it, then that explains your responses in this thread, and there is no point in continuing to talk about it (or anything else) with you.

Zod, stop being a clod. Condescending & immature? Really? Man, I guess I'm not that smart, as I was aiming to point out the truly premature/immature, condescending, insulting comments spewed towards this magnificent work, and the master sculptors who created it.

As for you and others always trying to give SS business advise is truly condescending, insulting, & immature.

SS/Legacy know exactly what sells, but what you never seem to consider is the creative impulse for these guys/gals. They have decades of history within the industry, started a business, created an industry we all love. So when they want to offer something different, why the visceral hate, insults? That is silly, immature. They should be applauded, for at the very least trying, not vilified.

The owners of SS have earned the right to express different artistic offerings without being crucified for trying. This sculpt, once in hand, is quite obviously a labour of love for the SS/Legacy crews, and whether it's your preferred style or not, we should all be thrilled that SS has the creativity and courage to offer something beyond canon. Now, can you understand that?
Old 10-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #108
Divo

Quote:
Not surprisingly, this is on sale during Spook. Use code ALIENMYTHOS for $80 off and free shipping.
How can it be surprising when this thing was attacked, insulted, dismissed, all within a few hours!? That's what's truly horrifyingly surprising, a work of this quality left to die on the vine.

Great deal though.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:05 AM   #109
generalzodlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Zod, stop being a clod. Condescending & immature? Really? Man, I guess I'm not that smart, as I was aiming to point out the truly premature/immature, condescending, insulting comments spewed towards this magnificent work, and the master sculptors who created it.

As for you and others always trying to give SS business advise is truly condescending, insulting, & immature.

SS/Legacy know exactly what sells, but what you never seem to consider is the creative impulse for these guys/gals. They have decades of history within the industry, started a business, created an industry we all love. So when they want to offer something different, why the visceral hate, insults? That is silly, immature. They should be applauded, for at the very least trying, not vilified.

The owners of SS have earned the right to express different artistic offerings without being crucified for trying. This sculpt, once in hand, is quite obviously a labour of love for the SS/Legacy crews, and whether it's your preferred style or not, we should all be thrilled that SS has the creativity and courage to offer something beyond canon. Now, can you understand that?
Jesus Christ. Get off your cross. We don't agree about this statue. I'm sure we'll both find some way to keep living. You're taking this way to personal and it's making your tone condescending and rude. Why don't you go enjoy a statue that most people aren't impressed with so you can feel like you're so smart that you appreciate something the plebeians don't understand and I'll put you on ignore? I think we'll both be pretty happy with that solution.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #110
Divo

Quote:
Jesus Christ. Get off your cross. We don't agree about this statue. I'm sure we'll both find some way to keep living. You're taking this way to personal and it's making your tone condescending and rude. Why don't you go enjoy a statue that most people aren't impressed with so you can feel like you're so smart that you appreciate something the plebeians don't understand and I'll put you on ignore? I think we'll both be pretty happy with that solution.
Zod, I'm not trying to convince you, or anyone like you, to like or buy this statue. That's was never the concern. It's the condescending and rude manner in which good work was trashed, in record time, and in ignorance. In fact, this type of SS bashing has become way too common, and a sport for some.

Maybe I misunderstand, but what's the payoff for this SS attack strategy? What is the point? Maybe you'll convince me, so I can join the "gang", & start bashing SS for not making the Hulk & Batman version I've been waiting for for years. Which, would be without question, absolutely perfect for my collection, because I read the comics and saw the movies. Really? And guess what? The SS staff and crew read this sh!t, as well as some collectors who may actually be interested in buying something that is beyond the commercial. So what's wrong with that, that doesn't warrant a slew of insults? It's fcked-up, can you see that?