Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
CompEng1
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Statues...Great art display or pile of debris?

I have been looking at many of the threads on the displays of member's collections. For me, the goal is to have a great display of statues/busts that really stand out. I have seen the collections of some of the guys and gals on this board and while impressive in scope, they are so crowded on shelves and bookcases that it looks more like junk than art. At the comic stores etc..they space them out and give each piece enough room to shine on it's own.. this is where I'm headed...one, maybe two pieces per shelf. I realize that space is a consideration often times but I have to say that one great piece, well lit, on a stand alone spot, looks more artistic and draws more attention than having 20 MB's stuffed into that same space. Maybe I'll have to rotate out the pieces every week/month but I think that overall this type of display looks much better. I hope I'm not spitting in anyone's Wheaties here as it's just an observation and not intended to be vicious or overly critical.

Cheers
CompEng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:02 AM   #2
The Watcher
Loki

I agree. A crowded display case doesn't look as good as one that features fewer pieces.

Sometimes less is more.

A room filled with collectibles can be overwhelming. I remember watching a television show about preparing a house for sale. The owners were not able to sell their house so they brought in an expert at staging houses. The owners had a huge (and valuable) collection of crystal arranged throughout the house. It was impressive but unfortunately, it also distracted potential homebuyers from seeing the value of the rest of the house. The rooms looked cluttered and crowded.

The house sold shortly after the owners downsized their collection by placing a few of their pieces in a display case. The remaining pieces were put in storage. The crystal in the display case looked a lot more impressive and it complimented the rest of the room.

Comments from other sources:

http://www.uliveandlearn.com/lessons...lesid=179&pg=1

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1071742.cms

Museums also offer good examples on how to display pieces of art.
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
CompEng1
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I agree, that's what I think I'm looking at doing.
CompEng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

That's the same thing I'm thinking while seeing some members displaying their collections , They have an amazing collection but not nicely displayed , more to own then to display .
T each his ofcourse .
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
revilal
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I totally agree... a display case with well-spaced out pieces is ideal.
revilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
CanadianMachine
I am da law!

I am also leaning in this direction now. I think I have to rearrange the geek room, so that it is more appealing. Its not that culttered yet, but over the next 6 months it will be.
CanadianMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

If you can afford to get one purpose built on site its the best way to go.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I have built in wooden (painted white) bookshelves in my entertainment room, about 5+ sets of shelves altogether. I have one statue per shelf except in some cases where pairs make sense (red and yellow DD) or have the FF all together. I intersperse books (tpbs) and statues and have to say it looks really great. I have about 50 fs statues and the whole thing displays beautifully.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
I have built in wooden (painted white) bookshelves in my entertainment room, about 5+ sets of shelves altogether. I have one statue per shelf except in some cases where pairs make sense (red and yellow DD) or have the FF all together. I intersperse books (tpbs) and statues and have to say it looks really great. I have about 50 fs statues and the whole thing displays beautifully.
Your description is what inspires my thinking WKTF. When you were telling us about it in Boston I thought thats what I need to get.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

My collection consists of:

The Ultimate X-Men line
The Astonishing line
Astlum Art Daredevil
1/4 Scale Thing
40th Anniversary Hulk bust
Art Asylum Hulk statue
Marvel Milestone Cap Bust
X-Men Evolution line
Colossus Memorial Bust

At the moment Im trying to finish a couple of those lines before moving on. They are all boxed.

Ive always envisioned, when I get my new place in the future, of having a den.

Im a graphic designer so plan on having a corner dedicated to my mac and freelance work.

The rest of the room will house all the pieces I have. I imagine soft lighting, black pedestals, musem quality settings.

I will seperate the displays into lines, with the larger statues being in isolated pedestals.

I believe that in a large enough room, this will look awesome, and not excessive. At the moment, the boxes are beginning to pile up, and Im wondering what the hell Im doing buying all these pieces.

But its all for that time when I can display them and dedicate a room to them. When I received the first 5 Evolution Maquettes and briefly put them together, they looked amazing side by side. Imagine the feeling of having all the completed lines in great, spacious display cases - it will all be worth it when that time comes.

I have seen some collections (Im not by any means trying to be offensive) where for lack of space or whatever, display cases are swamped with pieces, the only link associating one piece to another is the company that produced it. That to me is a shame, not for the collector, but for the pieces. We collect these as things of beauty (well, except for the flippers, I smite you all! :-p) and they deserve to have a display area that does them justice.
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote