Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #1161
Viper2005
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by renketsu View Post

Any one else get anything? That Kiani daily print went for a lot ($355)!!

Did one of you win the Lady Mech VIP print - waaaaay out of my finances this month
$355 is insane for that Kiani print! That's almost as much as that Lady Mech print. No wonder Aspen keeps those extras for their auctions.

I wanted that LM print but it was too much for me this month.

Only stuff I got from aspen auctions were 2nd chance Batman and Bat+ Catwoman prints.
Viper2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #1162
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2005 View Post
$355 is insane for that Kiani print! That's almost as much as that Lady Mech print. No wonder Aspen keeps those extras for their auctions..
Yep. They know that at the very worst, they will make 2 times as much and if its a print that has some demand behind it....well, this auction is a perfect example of what can happen. They can make upwards of 7 times the normal price. Again, I have no problem with them auctioning off older prints but new prints that can be sold on the Aspen store, its greed and money grabbing at its worst. What makes it even worse is that they produced that print for roughly 2-3 bucks tops.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #1163
kirthew
Zot

Holy crap.. I have the original print on my wall.. when did this sky rocket?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-TURN...item19d1cb3245
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #1164
Glennfett
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

hey Ren.i bidded early on the print that you won.
I also put $200 on the Grell but missed that one too

oh well...
Glennfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #1165
renketsu
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Sorry mate - I bid and then went to bed and was amazed I won it. That Ekos print was very nice, but SDCC wiped me out... struggled to find $50
renketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #1166
toyzplz
Death is hereditary.

NEXT show I don't know, but at the end of September they'll be out here in Las Vegas for our LV Comic Book Expo! Yes, I'm already squirrelling away some $$ for a couple prints lmao
toyzplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #1167
coolandwarm
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew View Post

This does not make any sense, how in the hell this print sold for that much, it seems that prints sold from aspen on ebay go for outrageous prices that can not be explained. if I put that print for sale I may get $200 for it so how does anyone justify $600+ on it just because its from aspen does it come with a head sketch a year subscription to all aspen comics for a year, what am I missing here. or is due to buyers that just buy from aspen and are willing to throw there money away when the exact print is being sold by another seller for half the amount. I don't know. I hope I didn't insult anyone here.
coolandwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #1168
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyzplz View Post
Those pencil sketch prints remind me of the set of Top Cow prints done awhile back (there's another thread where someone asked about info). They'd be awesome to add to the collection but I didn't see where or how they were sold at SDCC But $300 for an unnumbered print is absolutely crazy when it's more than likely that more will be printed off like the other Muerte prints will be.

Congrats on your pick up OC I think you got a great deal at $35ea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
According to Peter's facebook he will be putting a limited amount of these prints on Aspen.com. I don't know if he did already and they sold out, but it was mentioned. He is also going to print more and offer them directly through his facebook. I snagged two for a friend and myself, with signatures and a sketch. This will be my first Aspen print, I love it.
Aw man, now I feel peeved and feel like a sucker...thanks for the info although I wish in a way I hadn't seen your posts. I (stupidly with the benefit of hindsight) bought one of the muertos prints that was listed on evilbay as I was worried it would never be available again and saw a few come up and then disappear quickly. I paid like >3 times what it's worth as I saw no info on aspen’s store/facebook pages nor here from you guys (who seem to be pretty on the ball). Guess that's what I get for jumping the gun and buying an unnumbered print like you say – I wasn’t thinking clearly obviously.

I’ve collected MT’s stuff from the start and Aspen too but in all honesty it's almost the final straw for me with Aspen, I just can't abide their lack of consistency and information in putting this stuff out there. I know now from looking that Peter's site had info about the print but I didn't know to check it and as I say, there was no info on their Aspen website as far as I could see which I expect to be the one stop shop for all Aspen related info…it’s where there main business / forums are housed and to me it’s an Aspen print (its going to be sold on the aspenstore / its an aspen character) so why not advertise it there as well to keep people in the loop? Because of the lack of info and in my haste to get something I loved the look of I’ve now been burnt to the tune of >$100 . To make things worse I now find out that they are producing an unnumbered run of prints (so unlimited effectively). Overall it seems to me that there is also no thinking behind their their print runs (in this case it seems to be just ad hoc, whatever they decided on the day) and the whole aspen ebay auctions is another matter (I’m in agreement with Orangecrush there – one or the other).

That combined with the fact that they messed up my order by sending it too soon so I couldn’t add extra stuff + I don't exactly trust their ebay auctions anymore (I saw a print a few months back saying 'last one', so I bid on it, missed it but luckily got offered a second chance which was great. But then a month or so later they list another one – what’s going on there?) just makes me not feel inclined to give them my hard earned dollar.

I'll always love Aspen and what they put out but I'm glad I've got just about all the MT prints I wanted to get over the years so probably won't need to buy too many more. I just hope that for the future that they remember how they used to feel when they weren't in the industry and were just fans i.e. approach their prints from a fans point of view and with the same level of professionalism as they do with their statues (the service on the kiani breakages was unbelievably good). They want to be a ground breaking company so why not do something a lot of companies don’t and listen to the fans? In the meantime I think perhaps I’ll save my dough for a company that has a more rigid numbering system and gives better i.e. more timely updates to the fans on stuff that they know will be popular.

Finish on a good note – at least I got the print and it will be amazing I have no doubt, Peter’s work on this one is as good as anything Aspen have put out in the past imho.
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #1169
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew View Post

You have to remember that the amount of money that Aspen gets for "last one available" prints, especially highly sought after prints like this, is not representative of the true market value for that particular print. The previous copy of this print that was sold by Aspen, which was actually sold just a few weeks prior, only sold for roughly $250. Actually, Aspen usually gets higher prices for any print they sell so one could argue that none of the prices they get for prints are representative of true market value. Its just especially true for "last one available" prints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolandwarm View Post
This does not make any sense, how in the hell this print sold for that much, it seems that prints sold from aspen on ebay go for outrageous prices that can not be explained. if I put that print for sale I may get $200 for it so how does anyone justify $600+ on it just because its from aspen does it come with a head sketch a year subscription to all aspen comics for a year, what am I missing here. or is due to buyers that just buy from aspen and are willing to throw there money away when the exact print is being sold by another seller for half the amount. I don't know. I hope I didn't insult anyone here.
I think part of it has to do with the fact that if you buy from Aspen, your basically guaranteed a mint condition print. I have had my fair share of horror stories over the years, in regards to buying prints from misc dealers/sellers. I have seen everything from damaged corners to tape residue left over from non-conservation methods of framing. So even I will admit that buying directly from Aspen has its perks, especially if print condition is important to you. I think the rest of it can simply be scratched up to the whole bidding war thing. Bidding wars have been around for as long as eBay has been a website and it has the ability to double, sometimes even triple, the cost of a particular item. Its basically a pissing contest with money and I openly admit that i have been caught up in a few myself.

As I just stated in my previous post, you just have to realize that the prices that Aspen gets for their prints on eBay...well, they simply do not accurately reflect true market value. From what I have seen over the last 6-9 months, Aspen usually gets anywhere from 25-50% more for their prints. The "last one available" prints usually bring in at least 75%-100% more, sometimes considerably more.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #1170
renketsu
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Aspen usually gets higher prices for any print they sell so one could argue that none of the prices they get for prints is representative of true market value. Its just especially true for "last one available" prints.
Very true.

Also worth noting that prices have been creeping up on Aspen's ebay auctions over the past year (or so it seems) with, I guess, more people buying now and bidding wars breaking out.

I expected the opposite to happen, with the economic downturn, I thought people would have less disposable cash (I do)

I also thought more people would be selling collections off on ebay to raise funds - we've seen a few older/rarer prints but not as many I expected.
renketsu is offline   Reply With Quote