Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #41
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I like the idea of a Lady Thor, but Natalie Portman can't act.
In Jason Aaron’s Thor run she was Thor, not Lady Thor. Hope that’s true here, as well.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #42
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
and just like that I'm excited for phase 4!
Same!
Old 07-21-2019, 12:57 AM   #43
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Natalie Portman as Thor Could be the title of a book about the top ten worst f***ing ideas that could absolutely demolish the MCU franchise.
You know, people had the same sentiment when Jason Aaron made Jane Foster the new Thor after Odinson became unworthy of lifting Mjolnir. Not only was this book a top seller, and yes among males too, but it was an absolute killer of a storyline.

I have high hopes this could make for as terrific a movie as it was a comic book run.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:10 AM   #44
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
So, I'm guessing we will have all those shown plus Black Panther 2, Ant-Man and Wasp 3, Captain Marvel 2, and Fantastic Four before we get another Avengers team up in...2024/2025?
Ant-Man 3 is not so certain.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #45
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
You know, people had the same sentiment when Jason Aaron made Jane Foster the new Thor after Odinson became unworthy of lifting Mjolnir. Not only was this book a top seller, and yes among males too, but it was an absolute killer of a storyline.

I have high hopes this could make for as terrific a movie as it was a comic book run.
Phase 4 is all about Disney being woke. I love solid female archetypes. Wanda, gamora, wasp, and black widow were awesome because it wasnt about them being women. They were just kickass characters.

The characters right now have to push woke narratives. Weaksauce.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #46
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Phase 4 is all about Disney being woke. I love solid female archetypes. Wanda, gamora, wasp, and black widow were awesome because it wasnt about them being women. They were just kickass characters.

The characters right now have to push woke narratives. Weaksauce.
Honestly, I don’t take this as being woke. This is MCU/Disney taking characters and storylines (like Civil War and Infinity Gauntlet/War) that worked, were popular and sold in the original comic book format and portraying them in the films. The Jane Foster Thor storyline ran for years in the Thor comic book, and it was tremendous. Now as of this month, the original Thor is back. But this could make for a powerful film that’s true to its comic book source material.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #47
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Honestly, I don’t take this as being woke. This is MCU/Disney taking characters and storylines (like Civil War and Infinity Gauntlet/War) that worked, were popular and sold in the original comic book format and portraying them in the films. The Jane Foster Thor storyline ran for years in the Thor comic book, and it was tremendous. Now as of this month, the original Thor is back. But this could make for a powerful film that’s true to its comic book source material.
I hope you’re right but the narratives seem to be going that way...

Thor reduces to white trash. Natalie Portman takes the hammer.
Falcon takes the Cap mantle (which is actually the better choice).
Cap marvel villain is the only white man in the movie who gets his ass kicked. Storyline pushes a narrative around refugee asylum.
Panther film narrative entirely based on a potential brewing race war between “colonizers” and black people for current and past injustices.
Valkyrie takes Asgard as an openly gay “king”.
Hawkeye is about his daughter.
Intentional casting around Eternals.
I actually think Peter Parker is the only gender normative white male in his class.

This is just the way Disney properties are leaning. The only “colonizers” left in the SW franchise are either evil or under a chewbacca mask. I’m good with the pendulum swinging to a more realistic portrayal of reality but it has swung and swung very far.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #48
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
I hope you’re right but the narratives seem to be going that way...
I think you're also kinda bleeding your own opinion onto them because there is a lot of different view points that can be taken with all of this.

Quote:
Thor reduces to white trash. Natalie Portman takes the hammer.
I'd say more like a warrior with PTSD from his many battles and losses goes to find himself and Jane takes up the mantle because she is found to be worthy.
Quote:
Falcon takes the Cap mantle (which is actually the better choice).
I agree it is, but we knew it it was going this way with Cap actually finding the end he deserved and wanted. But there still needs to be a Captain America.
Quote:
Cap marvel villain is the only white man in the movie who gets his ass kicked. Storyline pushes a narrative around refugee asylum.
Outside of Agent Coulson you mean, I know it's easy to forget he's there. And he gets his ass kicked because he under estimates her,on multiple levels.
Quote:
Panther film narrative entirely based on a potential brewing race war between “colonizers” and black people for current and past injustices.
Which Black Panther fights to create international peace and bring all nations together, I think the story is a little more hopeful than you portray it as.
Quote:
Valkyrie takes Asgard as an openly gay “king”.
You wanted him to go on a mission of self discovery and hand the reigns over to Korg? It frees Thor up to go other places instead of being tied to a small town in Norway.
Quote:
Hawkeye is about his daughter.
Actually it also will feature Renner and explain some of what he did as Ronin.
Quote:
Intentional casting around Eternals.
Yeah...with Angelina Jolie as one of the main leads. We don't complain about international cast members in other films, (Star Wars, Blade II, etc.) but we will here?
Quote:
I actually think Peter Parker is the only gender normative white male in his class.
We only get to see a few people in his class though. And it's not like we don't still have white male heroes in these films either. Dr. Stange, Peter Quill, Thor, Ant Man, etc. We're doing just fine.

Quote:
This is just the way Disney properties are leaning. The only “colonizers” left in the SW franchise are either evil or under a chewbacca mask. I’m good with the pendulum swinging to a more realistic portrayal of reality but it has swung and swung very far.
You say that, but really in Marvel Comics they've only scratched the surface. Just wait until the dirty muties get involved.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #49
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Don't see any green but I am looking forward to this phase, some new stuff thrown into the mix.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #50
Gruson
Suicide Squad

I miss the serious Marvel movies from Phase 1...they were the most like the comics.

As for this Phase, I’m excited about the shows the most.

I also think Disney is going out of the way to force taking these minor characters into big movies and stay away from more white main characters. I get it, that’s the new thing, but I haven’t heard of Eternals or the Asian one (he looks like a great cast though).

I really want more big name movies though. X-men; Ghostrider, Punisher, etc.

I want to see FF too but hope they keep it true to comics with casting. Also can’t wait for Black Panther 2, surprised it’s not happening sooner.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote