Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #1561
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I don't think the portrait came out as nice as the prototype. Here is one of the prototype pictures:

and here is a production shot:

IMO, there is a notiable difference in the quality of the portrait. I still like the piece and am still glad I purchased it. Its just one of the few pieces released by Sideshow over the last couple years where I saw a very noticable difference between the prototype and the production piece.
It looks close. I can see lighting playing a part, and possibly better paint app around the eye's would help.
The proto appears to be looking forward, not upwards.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #1562
QX403
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Your going back farther than I was. I was talking about statues released from roughly mid/late 2014 onward. You won't get any argument from me whatsoever about legitimate issues prior to the time frame I was talking about, which i made pretty clear in my post, but again this is late 2017 and not mid 2014 or prior and IMO there has ben a massive increase in both the quality of the designs and the overall quality of the statues since that time.

Thats not to say that there hasnt been statues with issues (Red Sonja, Queen of the Dead, etc), but IMO the VAST majority of statues released since that time frame have been home runs and I stand by the list I posted 100%. I have recieved just one amazing piece after another since that time. In fact, I actually forgot a couple statues on that list including Modern Batman which was just another amazing statue that was just spot on with the prototype. Everyone is entitled to their opinions so if you want to disagree with any of the statues I listed, your entitled to do so. Again, I stand by that list 100% and I am not worried in the slightest about the quality of the pre orders I currently have going with Sideshow. They have been kicking a*s and taking names for the last 2 years now and I don't regret a single purchase I have made. The only statue I have been severly disappointed with was Supergirl and thankfully I didn't buy her. I literally have nothing but 100% confidence in Sideshow at this point.

While I still like the piece, I can perfectly understand why some people were very disappointed with it. Its definitely one of Sideshow's weaker statues released the last 2+ years running.
Sideshow doesn't put a lot of effort into their paint application half the time which is sad because the statues aren't that expensive to make. The proto is cast into PVC molds and the polystone is poured into them and sanded, the paint is what takes the most effort at the factory.

This company has some pretty cool tutorials for mold making.
https://www.polytek.com/how-to/tutorials-videos

I'm thinking about doing Captain Marvels head so I can make an open head helmet with Mohawk.
QX403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #1563
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
I am going to put her right next to these two beauties!

I am so on your wavelength!! Those are two of my favorite statues! In fact, nothing I've bought since comes close. I'm hoping The Witcher line from P1 can knock them off their podiums!

RS would so easily complement these two pieces!
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #1564
QX403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I am so on your wavelength!! Those are two of my favorite statues! In fact, nothing I've bought since comes close. I'm hoping The Witcher line from P1 can knock them off their podiums!

Love me some luz, FFG 1/4th statues are somewhat smaller than SS though, not that it really matters.

Luz, lady ninja, captain marvel, guardian girl and xm Witchblade are def my favorite head sculpts.

She would also look good next to HCG Guardian girl and into the fog.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:55 AM   #1565
el_caifan
Doh!

lol yes!!

Lol exactly why i stay off this board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
"Simple" lol as an artist (not a sculptor) this isn't simple. Start your own company producing things like this and come back and tell me how simple this piece is and what kind of prices you can charge while still paying the bills and make enough profit to produce more. It takes me hundreds of hours to paint some pieces I make. To sell just one copy it would be ~$2000 or hundreds of cheaper reproductions to just break minimum wage for the time it takes. Now scale that up to a sizeable company... While not having a crazy base like the previous version I believe this one is more detailed overall.

I'm pretty new to statue collecting (I refuse to call it a hobby), are most collectors entitled princesses? It's really off putting to even come to these forums to find out production info and price when it's an echo chamber of entitled complaints. While I do think everything can benefit from constructive criticism some complaints are ridiculous. It's a piece of art that YOU didn't commission, buy it or don't.
el_caifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #1566
Vallos
Jubilee

Quote:

I miss Shin Tanabe on Yamato's Fantasy line. The line took a hit when he left. Not to discredit the other sculptors, but he was the pinnacle for them and none since measures up. Hence why I no longer collect from them. Although I might get Dead Moon if I can find it below retail.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #1567
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
I miss Shin Tanabe on Yamato's Fantasy line. The line took a hit when he left. Not to discredit the other sculptors, but he was the pinnacle for them and none since measures up. Hence why I no longer collect from them. Although I might get Dead Moon if I can find it below retail.
I agree completely! I wonder who he's working with now?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #1568
Vallos
Jubilee

Quote:
His Facebook page is a good source.
https://www.facebook.com/shin.tanabe1?ref=br_rs

And Sideshow just put this up for Pre-order.
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collecti...cco-co-903167/

Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #1569
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Seems to be doing some things for Gecco right now.
Josado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #1570
QX403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josado View Post
Seems to be doing some things for Gecco right now.
Gecco makes nice stuff. I have a few of their MGS PVC statues.

They should make this into a statue to go with Red Sonja, I'd buy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1839.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	108254