Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

View Poll Results: MK 1:3 line - Fully Sculpted or Continue Mixed Media?
Mixed Media 14 37.84%
Fully Sculpted 23 62.16%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #21
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ant View Post
But, guess who decides whether we do a Kahn on a throne or not......this guy.
Hope that's a confirmation response.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #22
DarkKnight85
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I am a huge fan of the MKX stuff that has been coming out at PCS.

I have the scorpion and subzero 1:4's, their busts, and the 1:3 Goro on pre-order.

Needless to say if they make a Shao Kahn on a throne...................I'm all in. Hell I just took that dive a little while ago pre-ordering the Thanos on the throne by SS. I definitely think throne pieces are kind of hot right now. Not yet too much of a saturation with them, it's a good time to do it.

Prime 1 will most likely do an Arthas/Lich King on the Frozen Throne from World of Warcraft as well so there is another one.

Either way though I want to throw my two cents in. I think if they make this character they really have to make this guy scary and intimidating looking. This guy needs to look like walking Death. I think recent mortal kombat designs have really played up the barbarian conqueror aspect of the character and in the end I think it's taken away some of the demonic presence that I felt Shao Kahn once had.

I'd take a look at the Shao Kahn from the Mortal Kombat 2 video game live action trailer. That design, in combination with the backdrops and lighting was a sight to be hold. Lol that whole trailer was unbelievable.

Also hands down go with the throne with the huge demon skull he behind the chair with the mini skulls at the bottom. It's an instant win.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shao_kahn_trailer.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	108683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaokahnthrone.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	108684   Click image for larger version

Name:	shao_khan___electric_zombie___christopher_lovell_by_lovell_art-d4fxkzn.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	108685  
DarkKnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #23
Indridcold99
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight85 View Post
I am a huge fan of the MKX stuff that has been coming out at PCS.

I have the scorpion and subzero 1:4's, their busts, and the 1:3 Goro on pre-order.

Needless to say if they make a Shao Kahn on a throne...................I'm all in. Hell I just took that dive a little while ago pre-ordering the Thanos on the throne by SS. I definitely think throne pieces are kind of hot right now. Not yet too much of a saturation with them, it's a good time to do it.

Prime 1 will most likely do an Arthas/Lich King on the Frozen Throne from World of Warcraft as well so there is another one.

Either way though I want to throw my two cents in. I think if they make this character they really have to make this guy scary and intimidating looking. This guy needs to look like walking Death. I think recent mortal kombat designs have really played up the barbarian conqueror aspect of the character and in the end I think it's taken away some of the demonic presence that I felt Shao Kahn once had.

I'd take a look at the Shao Kahn from the Mortal Kombat 2 video game live action trailer. That design, in combination with the backdrops and lighting was a sight to be hold. Lol that whole trailer was unbelievable.

Also hands down go with the throne with the huge demon skull he behind the chair with the mini skulls at the bottom. It's an instant win.

Couldn't agree more
Indridcold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #24
qz33
Doctor Doom

If they do Shao on his throne in 1/3 they can't pull any punches.
Similar to 1/3 Goro but more. Gotta go all in on the throne as Shao will be sitting and won't be enough to sell it on his own.

If it isn't someone's passion project then it won't work.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:23 AM   #25
DarkKnight85
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
If they do Shao on his throne in 1/3 they can't pull any punches.
Similar to 1/3 Goro but more. Gotta go all in on the throne as Shao will be sitting and won't be enough to sell it on his own.

If it isn't someone's passion project then it won't work.

100% agree. In the end, the design of the throne and how it adds to the character's presence will either make or break a statue like this. It definitely is an all in statue on everything.
DarkKnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #26
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
PArt of the problem with mixed media is less and less factories want to do it. Its difficult so the few who are willing want to charge a fortune.

Are you willing to pay 30% more for mixed media ?

Im not so sure people are...
When i see how good the clothing/armour has come out on something like Quan Chi then i can easily live without mixed media.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #27
ukshaun
Hercules

Mixed Media appears to be the best option when it comes to pieces modeled using clay.

Fully Sculpted appears to be the best option when it comes to pieces modeled using 3D software.

Any line, 1/4 or 1/3 should stick to one or the other, not be a mixture of Mixed Media and Fully Sculpted.

'QC issues with bad quality cloth' should not be the decider, as PCS should look to fixing the QC issue. Other companies don't appear have issue's with 'cloth'. Maybe PCS should supply the cloth, or is that a too obvious solution?
Compared to the detail Hot Toys offer on 1/6th scale, PCS statues should be a whole lot more straight forward with thair larger scale.

PCS had better make sure Chun-Li 1/3 is 100% spot on!

I guess the bottom line is, if cloth can be achieved using paint, then Fully Sculpted is the better option. Gentle Giant have created some stunning 1/4 Fully Sculpted pieces that look stunning. They avoid detachable heads, arms, magnet issues. GG use 3D renders, which can created cloth like surfaces

Captain America: The Winter Soldier ΒΌ Gentle Giant

The finish on the blue outfit with its rough texture could never be achieved using clay.
I view Captain America as a prime example where Fully Sculpted using 3D software works best.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:13 AM   #28
mkkollector81
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
PArt of the problem with mixed media is less and less factories want to do it. Its difficult so the few who are willing want to charge a fortune.

Are you willing to pay 30% more for mixed media ?

Im not so sure people are...
Nope
They cost enough as is
mkkollector81 is offline   Reply With Quote