Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #61
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I watched the first two episodes last night. It had good and bad points. Not a fan of the Klingon remake but I read they are supposed to explain that. It did feel like it was taking place in the Kelvin timeline and not the Prime.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #62
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Is this not on US Netflix? I just assumed it was a Netflix production given it's premiering in Australia on Netflix.

I enjoyed it. It's a bit like Voyager which I liked. I favour reimaginings like the Klingon. Afterall, it's only fiction.

I stopped caring for the Star Trek movies after the third. That sent me to sleep. Hoping this series will make the franchise relevant again.

One weird thing that I've never seen on any other show, the colour correction of scenes switched back and forth sometimes. I guess they were in a rush.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #63
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
Is this not on US Netflix? I just assumed it was a Netflix production given it's premiering in Australia on Netflix.

One weird thing that I've never seen on any other show, the colour correction of scenes switched back and forth sometimes. I guess they were in a rush.
And the UK, which is good. Although I guess they knew that nobody outside the US would be willing to purchase CBS or whatever it is on there. The US gets way more shows on Netflix than we do also which is strange when you think about it.

As for the colour correction, they must have rushed it as I noticed some seriously strange issues also during the first episode. It kept flickering between being incredibly bright and very dull. Even before the lens flairs got involved. I thought it was my HDMI lead or something at first, but it was the Netflix content as everything else was fine..
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #64
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
And the UK, which is good. Although I guess they knew that nobody outside the US would be willing to purchase CBS or whatever it is on there. The US gets way more shows on Netflix than we do also which is strange when you think about it.

As for the colour correction, they must have rushed it as I noticed some seriously strange issues also during the first episode. It kept flickering between being incredibly bright and very dull. Even before the lens flairs got involved. I thought it was my HDMI lead or something at first, but it was the Netflix content as everything else was fine..
I think the choice of international distribution by Netflix was two-fold. First, Netflix already has international distribution and licensing infrastructure in many countries outside the US that CBS would have to setup for themselves. Second, Netflix gives them a production partner offsetting costs of the show and reducing the investment risk
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:10 AM   #65
junta
Fantastic Four

I watched the first 2 episodes yesterday and I liked them. The show made me think about perspectives and motivations. I, also, liked the parts where plans were made but "reality" made them do something else; it felt dynamic.

As for the Klingons, I dont mind the changes at all.
junta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:38 PM   #66
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I thought the first 2 episodes were well done. They werent great, but good enough to keep me watching and that is the main purpose of every pilot, to keep people interested to the point that they keep watching and I definitely feel the first 2 episodes achieved that. And I am not bothered by the redesign of the Klingons at all. I am always open to change as long as the change actually works and is entertaining and from what I have seen thus far...well, lets just say that nothing I saw regarding the Klingons actually bothered me. I felt they did a good job with the Klingons, at least up to this point. Only time will tell if that continues to be the case.

And IMO, this was definitely the most cinematic of all of the Star Trek tv shows I have seen to date. Much of that was due to the set designs and special effects. The main bridge on previous tv shows always had a very tv set feel to them, but the main bridge in this series felt more like the recent films than any of the previous tv shows. And it definitely appears to be a more action oriented series than series past. I got that feeling as much from the first 2 episodes as I did the trailer they showed at the end of episode 2 that gave us a look at whats to come.

I also like the premise of the main character, Michael Burnham. Sentenced to life in prison for mutiny is definitely a unique start for the main character of the series. Obviously one of the main premises of the show is going to be the redemption of this character. And considering most of the crew was killed, I imagine most of the series regulars will be characters we have yet to meet. So a lot hangs on the characters we will be introduced too in future episodes.

All in all, I thought it was well done and as a pretty big Star Trek fan...well, its been too long since a Star Trek TV show has been on TV especially considering Voyager was the last Star Trek TV show I truly enjoyed. The only thing I don't like is that its a CBS show. I just can't do the week to week wait for TV shows anymore. Netflix has forever changed my TV viewing habits. I VASTLY prefer to be able to watch entire seasons as I see fit. With this season of Game of Thrones, I actually waited for the entire season to air before I started watching it, but much of that had to do with how busy I was with my job. I usually wait and watch tv shows in blocks of 4-5 episodes at a time. Again, I just can't do the week to week thing anymore. It just feels too disjointed for me.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #67
FROBAY
Phoenix

I'm enjoying the new series.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:07 AM   #68
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I enjoy the visual juxtaposition between OC’s and Frobay’s posts.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #69
Python
Omega Red

I enjoyed the first two episodes quite a bit. The other two less so, it has potential..
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #70
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

They dropped the f bomb twice in episode 5. It didn't feel right.

Saru is turning out to be the most compelling character. Doug Jones is amazing at what he does.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote