Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
furie
The X-Men

Pricing of original art?

I love original art and want to start acquiring some select pieces. I'd like to start buying some Kirby and maybe some Colan. Now, from an investor's POV; what is the best way to go about this? Obviously you have to enjoy the piece, but why is one Kirby piece worth more than another? How do the dealers determine a price? It feels so subjective. I understand if it's a popular character and they are all over the page, that is a big selling point. Also, the year of the art. If its a splash or a cover. But what else? Please educate me.
furie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Well alot of dealers know they have you by the balls because there is only one. If the character is out of costume it should be pretty cheap. Any Kirby Thor, Fantastic Four, X-Men Splashes and Covers are near imposible to find. Although you can find a decent pannel page of Wasp and Ant Man for around $600 of Kirby's. If you want an X-Men pannel page with characters in Costume you are looking around $1200 to $2000. Alot more if it is an earlier X-Men issue. The Fantastic 4 pages you can get for around $1500 to $2000 if they are after issue 40 and not a relevant issue such as 49 or 50. I can't quite remember I think he drew those.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
furie
The X-Men

Thanks for the info - could u lease give me the link or names of any art dealers you use?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
furie
The X-Men

Yes, I would like Thor or the Avengers. Capt America too. I found something for around 5 hundred, it was Hulk and the Eternals. Also saw a nice Black Panther for around the same price, but I was never a huge Panther fan.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
gman
Kindly Asked To Leave

Talking

i am working on a deal to acquire IMO a nice page and will post it once it is in hand. check out the signature Heritage auction next month...some killer pieces in there but they will cost ya....depending on the artist check out romitaman.com and mothcomix and fanfare-se.com.

i managed to get on the waiting list recently for a chris bachalo commission piece...i chose batman as my character.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
gman
Kindly Asked To Leave

Lightbulb

i know this page is for sale (not mine)..asking price is $4K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ffdoom.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	3053  
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by furie
Thanks for the info - could u lease give me the link or names of any art dealers you use?
Furie, go to www.dragonberry.com and go to 'Comic Art Sellers'. If you can't find it there, you're not gonna find it at all!
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote