Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-31-2006, 01:51 AM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

New Avengers #24 - Its trash

I think I read what is most probably the worst comic I've read all year. No surprise, over-rated BendiZZZ wrote it. I wish I could say it put me to sleep, but nausea is more akin to feeling I felt reading trash like this.

So, Sentry doesn't want to hurt or kill anybody in Civil War. He doesn't want to hurt his friends. What friendship? I still think the single worst move Marvel made was to try to make us believe the Sentry is indeed some Silver Age hero that EVERYBODY forgot about. The arrogance of such a premise still upsets me. Who really cares what Sentry does or thinks. His role in civil war was relegated to a few panels in Wolverine and this dumb issue in New Avengers. I hope someone can write Sentry back OUT of continuity.

Which brings me to a bigger problem, what good exactly has New Avengers actually done? 24 issues, and all it really did was have spiderwoman walk down a staircase and talk about doughnuts. At least Finch did some good art.

While pasqual Ferry's art definately shined here, too bad he was anchored down by Bendis terrible story. And with Hulk, the Inhumans, and no doubt the Atlanteans taking their turn to attack earth after Civil War (and lets not forgot former good guy Wanda and pietro), why are any villains even needed in Marvel. With sabertooth, Bullseye Green Goblin, and Venom all taking their turns on the side of angels, it seems the villain concept has died.

All I gotta say is this issue sucked, and makes me even happier Bendizzz didn't have his dirty paws writing Civil War.

There, Ive said my peace.

So, to recap in my own style:

The Good: Pasqual's Art, that's IT!
The Bad: Every thing else related to this issue, every plot point, every scrap of dialogue. All trash.
The Ugly: That i can't my money or more importantly my time back. The sooner Thor comes back to take out the Sentry with one blow of his hammer the better.

Last edited by bat_collector; 10-31-2006 at 01:56 AM.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
SuperEgo
Frackin!

Actually I didn't find the issue so bad. I think it helped move certain story points forward, such as the Inhumans' war against humans/Earth. I do find Sentry to be too whiny for my tastes. If he's Marvel's Superman then let's see him start being Super.
SuperEgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
cblakey1
Cyclops

I somewhat agree..

The art however kicked ass!

If you want a good example of trash, pick up Choosing Sides. Except for one revelation that everyone already knows, this one had me shaking my head saying WTF?
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEgo View Post
I do find Sentry to be too whiny for my tastes. If he's Marvel's Superman then let's see him start being Super.
Whiney, yes, and too heavily relying on ret-con. I still don't understand how such a stupid concept and power (the power of a million exploding suns) ever got green lighted.

STUPID
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
firestorm
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I really hope that the end result of Civil War is that there is an other-worldly influence manipulating events in the Marvel Universe and that in the end, EVERYONE will be mindwiped and all traces of this farce will disappear from the everyone's memories in the entire Marvel Universe, and OURS, as well, and things will get back to normal... of course, the Watcher will be the only one who will remember...
firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

New Avengers suck always has IMO.
If Bendis is so good and they say he was on Daredevil try writing a monthly without Wolverine and Spiderman in it and we`ll see how popular it is.
A book with the #1 and #2 characters from marvel I wonder will it sell.
House of M was going to be the mini series that people would always talk about we`ll he got that right.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Mike, you can't really believe these villains are now on the side of the angels. Wait and see. They've been recruited and are forced to track down heroes, it's like a dream come true for them. They are not heroes, though, and I'll bet we see more mischief from them.

As far as this issue of New Avengers, I can't stand Sentry but I don't think it was all that bad, despite his presence. I agree with SuperEgo that it helped advance the plot of Civil War. And as far as New Avengers' being a crappy title, to each his own.
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

I agree that it wasn't that bad... Mike you are such a hater
Old 10-31-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
Wolverine77
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
I think I read what is most probably the worst comic I've read all year. No surprise, over-rated BendiZZZ wrote it. I wish I could say it put me to sleep, but nausea is more akin to feeling I felt reading trash like this.

So, Sentry doesn't want to hurt or kill anybody in Civil War. He doesn't want to hurt his friends. What friendship? I still think the single worst move Marvel made was to try to make us believe the Sentry is indeed some Silver Age hero that EVERYBODY forgot about. The arrogance of such a premise still upsets me. Who really cares what Sentry does or thinks. His role in civil war was relegated to a few panels in Wolverine and this dumb issue in New Avengers. I hope someone can write Sentry back OUT of continuity.

Which brings me to a bigger problem, what good exactly has New Avengers actually done? 24 issues, and all it really did was have spiderwoman walk down a staircase and talk about doughnuts. At least Finch did some good art.

While pasqual Ferry's art definately shined here, too bad he was anchored down by Bendis terrible story. And with Hulk, the Inhumans, and no doubt the Atlanteans taking their turn to attack earth after Civil War (and lets not forgot former good guy Wanda and pietro), why are any villains even needed in Marvel. With sabertooth, Bullseye Green Goblin, and Venom all taking their turns on the side of angels, it seems the villain concept has died.

All I gotta say is this issue sucked, and makes me even happier Bendizzz didn't have his dirty paws writing Civil War.

There, Ive said my peace.

So, to recap in my own style:

The Good: Pasqual's Art, that's IT!
The Bad: Every thing else related to this issue, every plot point, every scrap of dialogue. All trash.
The Ugly: That i can't my money or more importantly my time back. The sooner Thor comes back to take out the Sentry with one blow of his hammer the better.
Talk about donuts. Hilarious. Anyway, wow, is it REALLY THAT BAD? I mean, I have the 1st 2 hardcovers (haven't read 'em yet, so NO SPOLIERS, PEOPLE! ) and I haven't heard bashings like this. Oh, well. Everyone's got opinions. I'll let you know what mine are when I read 'em.
Wolverine77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
As far as this issue of New Avengers, I can't stand Sentry but I don't think it was all that bad, despite his presence. I agree with SuperEgo that it helped advance the plot of Civil War. And as far as New Avengers' being a crappy title, to each his own.
Ditto on all counts. Bats, your hate just stems from your hatred towards the Sentry character moreso than the writing in the issue.

I thought it was a good issue & getting the Inhumans' point of view was interesting.

Agreed KDawg...he's such a hater.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote