Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Sithlord32
New Republic

Ringwraith Polystone Statue ~ Sideshow Collectibles

Nazgûl ~ The Black Riders

Nêbâbîtham Magânanê Nêtabdam dâurad Nêpâm nêd abârat-aglar îdô Nidir nênâkham Bârî 'n Katharâd

Chorus in Adûnaic taken from the soundtrack

translation: 'We deny our maker.

We cling to the darkness.

We grasp for ourselves power and glory.

Now we come, the Nine,

Lords of Eternal Life
'

With the adaptation of the Lord of the Rings trilogy to the big screen so came the flood of collectables in every form. From toys to tea cups collectors everywhere could relish in the moments of the characters of J.R.R. Tolkien. Among the line of statues from Sideshow came the Ringwraith. This menacing figure has since seen several representations since its reveal but lets look into this sculpt of the nine riders.

Product Details
Title: Ringwraith Polystone Statue
License: LOTR
ES/EX (edition size): 1000 (exclusive edition size): 500
Scale: 1:6
Composition: Polystone
Dimensions: 19" H (482.6mm) x 10" W (254mm) x 11" L (279.4mm)
Product Weight: 10.00 lbs (4.54 kg)
Manufacturer: Sideshow Collectibles
MSRP (USD): $249.99 (EX) $249.99 (REG)
Design: Kristafer Anka, Jesse Lincoln (Development), Jed Haigh (Development)
Sculpt: Gabriel Marquez
Paint: Bernardo Esquivel

I was late the game when I started collecting and this statue was already sold out in the exclusive version. Ill have to admit being a greenhorn to statue collecting I was not even aware of the exclusive version of this but was mesmerized by the pictures I had seen of the standard edition. Even after I had become aware of the switch out hand for the exclusive version it mattered not to me I was happy without the extra piece. Now though as I have progressed in collecting I can see the value of the extra hand and wish I had acquired it. It more or less changes the regular version of this representation of a Ringwraith into what we are now accustomed to seeing as not just a Nazgul but the most powerful of the nine The Witch-king of Angmar

Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

When this statue arrived it was with great anticipation. Being among the first of statues in my collection and the first LOTR sculpt to be had I was nothing short of literally smiling while looking at it. Th amount of detail falls short in the Pictures from Sideshow. This is a truly masterful sculpt from base to hood. Though it is amongst the eldest of statues in my small collection it is still one that brings enthusiasm for this hobby every time I look at it. I find it doubtful that I will ever let this piece go. I find it to be the definitive representation of the Nazgul for myself.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Sithlord32
New Republic

Here are the pictures from Sideshow with the switch out exclusive hand holding the dagger. As you can see it really does change the feel of the statue quite a bit. Having this extra display piece is not a must for me as the statue itself is quite rewarding to have in my collection but I stay on the lookout for someone that has that extra hand from a broken or lost statue.

Summary

Sculpt: 10
Gabriel Marquez did a fantastic job sculpting this. It is proportionate to its 1:6 scale and holds an amazing amount of detail from his sword and gauntlets to every fiber that makes up his robes. The flow of the robes themselves in the wind is so perfectly executed and brings a huge dynamic unto itself. The presence of this sculpt is as menacing as the characters themselves from the books and the movies. It calls out from ones imagination without leaving you wanting more from it.

Paint & Mixed Media: 10
No mixed media here to contend with this is a solid sculpt and cast in polystone which does leave more to paint and I have to say its done with some tact.
The variations of blacks and greys throughout the robe give it a supreme amount of depth and feeling as does the parts of the robe that have been drug in the mud and dirt. All the detail of the sculpt is left behind under the paint without being washed out. The rocks on the base look real and you would swear that the base foundation is some rustic metal from just a glance.

Design:10
Overall the design of this is excellent and is carried throughout the sculpting and painting application. The piece looms in its own presence with menace and elegance alike. There is no part of it that seems overly fragile. From every angle your eyes can get lost in this. The switch out hand is a great choice in the design and worthy of being sought after. I really like the base. Its simple but has the perfect feel for this and is executed as such.

Production & Build Quality:10
Well Id have to say Sideshow should use this factory exclusively. I cant find a single flaw in the sculpt or paint app. The sword is straight and solid. Its fits together snugly with minimal effort and there are no seems showing to distract eye flow. Its not an overly heavy piece but its not too light either and If bumped slightly I think it could hold its ground. Not really willing to test that theory though.

OVERALL:10

If your a fan i'd have to say this one of the must haves. It is a grail piece for me for the fact that it brings to the table everything that I could hope for from this character short of the steed. I highly recommend it to LOTR fans and anyone who likes all things dark and sinister. Hope you enjoyed the pics thanks for checking out my review!

Old 08-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

This is perhaps the coolest and eeriest looking character ever to grace the silver screen. Very nice set of pics!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
This is perhaps the coolest and eeriest looking character ever to grace the silver screen. Very nice set of pics!
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

This is definitely an awesome piece. Very impressive! Great review as always, SithLord. Thanks you for your hard work.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote