Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

View Poll Results: Which of these three mini-busts do you like best?
I think the Hyperion mini-bust clearly trumps the other two busts 2 33.33%
I feel Kang the Conqueror is the most impressive mini-bust here 1 16.67%
Without a doubt the Tiger Shark is the most impressive mini-bust of the bunch 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

BUSTed! – Part 1: The Hyperion, Kang and Tiger Shark mini-busts by Bowen Designs

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not.
- Yoda, the Jedi Master; Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Hi guys,
With all those spectacular, grail like full size statues which are released on a very regular basis by more and more companies, it is easy to overlook the art, beauty and appeal of mini-busts.
They are much smaller than full size statues or PF’s, they do not have mixed media attributes or fancy light-up features and are because of this often considered to be less sexy and funky.
I think it’s would be fair to say that in general mini-busts are less popular and less sought after than their bigger polystone brothers and sisters.
In my humble opinion mini-busts deserve much better however. For starters much more known and less known comic book characters have been captured for the centuries to come in
mini-bust format than as full size or Premium Format statues. Characterwise you have a much broader choice in mini-busts than you have when looking at the larger statues or busts.
Furthermore mini-busts are also much more practical and economical since they are (far) less expensive and demand far less real estate in your display room.
Just like there are real gems and grails amongst the bigger pieces, there are also treasures to be found amongst mini-busts and I think they can easily be a very important part of any collection and any display.
The way I see it, mini-busts have a lot going on for them and as such they deserve much more time in the spotlights.
That’s why I have decided to to start a series of reviews under the ‘BUSTed!’-moniker in which I will regularly review two or three mini-busts.
I will try to focus mainly on the pictures and try to avoid long pieces of tekst. In my verdict I will not judge each mini-bust on its own but in comparison to the other mini-bust(s) also included in the review.

Alright then guys, let’s have a go at it!
Have fun with the pics and please let me know which of these three mini-busts you think rules the most!

Background Information

-1. Hyperion
Number: 004/500
Sculpted by: John Cleary
Release Date: September 2009
Edition Size: 500
Order Of Release: Phase IV (bust #238)
Height: this bust is 6.5 inches tall

As the planet Earth within the Marvel Universe has seen the emergence of thousands of Super Heroes, so too have alternate Earths from other dimensions given rise to extraordinary beings whose powers exceed those of any human.
One of the foremost of these super powerful men is Hyperion (Real Name: Mark Milton), who hails from the other world known as Earth-712.
Found as a baby by a Mr. And Mrs. Milton, the infant was adopted and raised by the kindly couple, and given the name Mark. As the lad grew, it became evident that he was no normal all-American boy. Among the powers and abilities that Mark developed was vast superhuman strength, as well as the ability to levitate and, via his atomic vision, to emit eyebeams of intense heat/energy up to 12,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Calling himself after a mighty sun-based titan of Greek mythology, Hyperion (First Appearance: The Avengers #85, February 1971) later joined forces with a group of other super-beings in his world – among them Power Princess and Doctor Spectrum – whereupon the mighty Squadron Supreme was formed.
As a hero, Hyperion drew from the teachings of his adoptive parents by using his great gifts for the betterment of mankind, while at the same time allowing humanity to find their own way.
The moral dilemma was put to the test in perhaps Hyperion’s greatest adventure, the epic recounted in the landmark Squadron Supreme mini-series. After many thrilling battles, both on the physical field as well as in the philosophical realm, Hyperion and the rest of his team dedicated themselves to fighting for the cause of freedom for all peoples, and to champion anyone under the wicked yoke of oppression.

============================================

-2. Kang the Conqueror
Number: 201/2000
Sculpted by: Mark Newman
Release Date: December 2006
Edition Size: 2000
Order Of Release: Phase III (bust #150)
Heigth: this bust is 7.5 inches tall

Kang is an expert in travel through and manipulation of time, and has mastered his future's advanced technology. He is an expert strategist, a veteran of armed and unarmed combat, and has an indomitable will to succeed through struggle.
Kang is over 70 years old chronologically, but has managed to stop his aging completely using his far-flung futuristic technology. Thus he appears to be a man in his mid-40s.
Though it is hard to gauge Kang's intellect given his futuristic origins, his genius is nothing short of super-human by modern standards. He commands technology beyond the most sophisticated designs of Stark Industries and Doctor Doom, and has made breakthroughs in time travel and robotics. Kang is the only known time traveler (other than his counterpart Immortus) who has the ability to travel through time without creating divergences.
Kang is a brilliant military tactician and a peerless general. Using his considerable charisma, Kang was able to raise an army and conqueror his first world within weeks of building his armor. He has conquered everything within 100 light years from Other Earth, including the counterpart Badoon and Shi'ar empires of his reality. Though he considers it a chore, Kang is also a capable statesman.

Kang is a master of both armed and unarmed combat.
He has managed to go toe-to-toe with Captain America, and single handedly held back Immortus's time-tossed army for several minutes during the Destiny War.
Through sheer force of will, Kang managed to separate himself from his future counterpart Immortus. Kang is absolutely fearless, and will stop at nothing to accomplish his own goals.

Kang typically carries various weapons, such as an anti-matter defense screen generator, a "vibration-ray" projector, an electromagnetic field-amplifier, neutrino-ray warheaded missile launcher (hand-gun size), electrical paralysis generator, nerve gas sprayer, and a molecular expander. Kang commands a vast armada of warriors from across the galaxy of his future era. He uses numerous robots, most notably his Growing-Man stimuloids, packed with the "Growth Pollen" of the world Kosmos, which causes them to grow in size and strength by absorbing kinetic energy.
Kang's primary base in 40th-century Other Earth is the Center, but he also maintains a secret dwelling in the realm known only as Purgatory, as well as strongholds in various alternate realties. His former base Chronopolis, powered by the Heart of Forever, served as a crossroads into virtually every era in human history, but lay just out of phase with the timestream and was therefore undetectable. Its palace and inhabitants were unaffected by temporal divergence or the passage of time. Kang formerly employed a 20' long space-worthy vehicle housing his time machine, which could reach all eras of all timelines by accessing the transtemporal realm of Limbo. Kang has used a number of other vessels, such as his Sphinx ship and Damocles Base, an immense sword-shaped orbiting headquarters.

============================================

-3. Tiger Shark
Number: 173/1500
Sculpted by: The Kucharek brothers & Randy Bowen
Release Date: March 2008
Edition Size: 1500
Order Of Release: Phase III (bust #200)
Heighth: this bust is 8 inches tall

A champion Olympic swimmer, Todd Arliss earned nearly half million dollars in advances for public exhibitions, but his dreams came crashing down around him when he injured his back and legs while rescuing a man who had fallen overboard from a private craft. He was told that he would never be able to swim again, so he spent his fortune in seeking any kind of medical help. Dr. Lemuel Dorcas promised Arliss he could help, and, despite the pleas of his sister, Diane, Todd agreed. As part of the process, Dorcas hoped to use his "morphotron," which could imprint the genetic pattern of an animal onto a human. In seeking tiger sharks to use on Todd Arliss, Dorcas accidentally captured the Sub-Mariner as well, and Namor’s genetic pattern was transformed as well as the sharks’, transforming Todd into a superhuman, amphibious creature with shark-like abilities.

Dorcas, a criminally-motivated marine biologist, gave Todd the costume and codename of Tiger Shark, hoping to use him in his own criminal ambitions. Tiger Shark, however, had other ideas. Even though he was weak from the morphotron, he bested the Sub-Mariner and escaped for the open sea.
As Tiger Shark, Todd now possessed the same superhuman strength, stamina, water speed and durability as Namor, although he must be immersed in water to achieve his full strength; on land, he must wear his special costume containing a water circulation system which bathes him with a thin layer of water, to retain his strength.
Tiger Shark also possesses an innate hunting instinct inherited from his shark genes, as once he locks onto prey he cannot stop tracking it until it has been captured or he has been forcibly repulsed. He has the ability to survive indefinitely underwater, and has gills on his cheeks and razor-sharp pointed adamantium teeth.
His augmented fish can withstand the pressure of the deep ocean and therefore other forms of damage. His skin is particuarly resistant against cold. He possesses superhuman strength and endurance and can swim up to 60 miles per hour.
More recently, Tiger Shark’s body has mutated further into a monstrous form, heightening his superhuman strength and speed.

You can find my verdict about these three mini-busts in post number 7 down below; for each of the four criteria I will mention one winner and also explain why the bust in question outranks the other two busts in this regard.
Get ready to rumble!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

BUSTed! – Part 1: The Hyperion, Kang and Tiger Shark mini-busts by Bowen Designs

I chose Earth because it was weak...and in need of saving!
- Hyperion

Rainer

Old 10-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I am not human? Phah! As if being human was desirable! I am KANG! And that is better than being human!
- Kang the Conqueror

Rainer

Old 10-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

As long as I live, I’ll never rest… until Tiger Shark is ruler of the deep!
- Tiger Shark

Rainer

Old 10-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Brothers in Arms...

Rainer

Old 10-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Love your pictures, Rainer!
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi Riteguytu,
thanks for the kind words and for visiting this thread; I appreciate it!
I will add a poll shortly as well as my verdict regarding these three busts so please feel free to drop by again in the near future.
Of these three busts which one do you like best?

Rainer

Old 10-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

My Verdict

As different as these three busts are from each other, they also have a lot in common. All three busts are in their own way great representations of the respective characters and each of these busts could rightfully and proudly take their place into the collection of any fan or collector out there.
In my verdict below I will not so much comment on the strengths and flaws of each bust separately but much more compare the busts with each other to see how they score in comparison to each other.
The goal is not to conclude which bust is best (that may be different for all of us) but only to indicate what I like about these busts and where I feel there is possibly room for improvement.
For each criterium I will, if possible, point out one bust which scored the highest and explain why in relation to the other busts.

Of course there is nothing more personal than pointing out the merits and flaws of any statue or bust and your mileage may vary from my scores below.
I will give it my best shot however and hope you will find my views understandable and useful even if you’d feel differently than I do.
With that in mind and without further delay ladies and gentlemen, please find below the verdict of the jury:

Sculpt: Tiger Shark
The MB of Tiger Shark struck me with its ferocity and its powerful presence. When looking at the bust it is clear to see the danger which Tiger Shark presents to the people of Atlantis and Namor as well as to of of the ‘suface-dwellers’in the MU.
Tiger Shark is a dangerous foe with incredible powers and the threat he poses to everyone standing in his way is captured masterfully in this bust.
Compared to the Tiger Shark bust, the sculpt of the other two busts is great but not of the same level.
I like the sculpt of Kang the Conqueror since in my imagination he is portrayed in a victorious pose after conquering yet another world. The pose suits Kang very well but the sculpt is not as eye-catching as that of the Tiger Shark bust.
The Hyperion mini-bust is third in line sculpt-wise: Hyperion is caught in what I call a ‘bodybuilder’-pose which shows his formidable strength. His impressively muscular torso and arms are captured spot-on but the sculpt would have benefitted it a bit more details and ‘finesse’ would have been added. The sculpt reminded me a little bit of the Strong Guy MB and that is the weak point of this sculpt: the bust does not show Hyperion in a unique way but instead the sculpt is a bit bland and a bit too much interchangeable with other physically strong characters in the MU.

Paint & Mixed Media: Hyperion
None of the three busts have mixed media elements so I will leave this out of my evaluation here.
When it comes to the paintjob all three busts have a good, solid and beautiful paintjob.
I liked the paintjob on trhe Hyperion bust the best however since I love the shiny, metallic red of his uniform and the yellow gold color of his cape, belt and symbol on his chest.
Hyperion is so well painted that he really looks the part as the powerful, confident hero who is going to save the day.
I also like the paintjob on Kang’s face (nice blue color) but other than that Kang’s costume looks a bit flat. I am not saying this is bad per se since I think it’s comic book accurate but it does make the paintjob on this bust less appealing than the paintjob on the Hyperion bust.
The same goes for the paintjob on the Tiger Shark bust: it’s well done and absolutely cool but it is a bit flat compared to the shiny and eye-catching finish of the Hyperion bust.
Again I believe that Tiger Shark is painted correctly according to his appearance in the comic books so the paintjob really does do him justice just like is the case with Kang if you look at it that way.
Paintwise the Hyperion bust is the most beautiful bust here however.

Design: Kang
I like the design of Kang the best because of the display options which you have with this bust: you can display Kang both with as well as without his cape.
I think it’s great that you are presented with a choice how you would like to display the conqueror of countless worlds in your collection.
The busts of Hyperion and Tiger Shark are not as sophisticated; there are no parts here which you can add or remove to your liking.
What I like very much of the busts of Kang and Tiger Shark is the fact that they have cool and clever bases: Kang is displayed on top of a piece of technologically advanced machinery whereas Tiger Shark’s base is decorated with four shark fins. Little details like this really add a lot to the appeal of a statue or bust in my opinion.
In comparison the base of the Hyperion bust is a bit unimaginative and boring since his base appears to be nothing more than a fancy pedestal.

Production & Build Quality: Tiger Shark and Hyperion
I am certain that with a bit of TLC all three busts will proudly take their place in your collection for the rest of your life.
They are all solidly built and should not break unless a disaster would happen and they’d be dropped on the floor for example.
This especially goes for the Tiger Shark and Hyperion mini-busts since they do not consist of any loose parts.. The Kang mini-bust is a bit more fragile because of the removable cape.
In itself I think this is an advantage since it gives you an option how you would like to display Kang but the downside is that the cape could possibly fall off and get damaged.
On my bust I had a bit of trouble attaching the cape to the bust and sometimes I still wonder if the cape is attached securely enough to the bust.
Not that it will fall off at the slightest touch but it is wise I think to be a bit extra careful with this bust.

Please feel free to let me know in case you agree or disagree with my views and thank you for reading this review. More of these reviews will follow in the (near) future so please drop by to check out the review section regularly!

Rainer