Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 08-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Storm Lover
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Is Bowen the Problem???

Can someone tell me if Sideshow, Koto, Gentle Giant, etc.... also having contractual problems with Marvel? As I read through these forums I don't see other companies having these issues. This leads me to believe perhaps Bowen is the problem with their negotiation dealings.

Thoughts please.

SL
Storm Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
SNIKT
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I think the issue is the money for the license. Those other companies you listed have different licenses and have more money to "throw around" than Bowen does. That also coupled with the rising costs of producing statues, I feel Bowen is weighing his options to see if he can churn a profit. Just my opinion.
SNIKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
WarMachine
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I am not sure what the problem is

but I have a feeling its related to money

WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

If I were to hazard a guess, and of course it's all speculation since there is no news or updates coming out of the Bowen camp, is that Marvel has raised it's licensing fee to a point where Bowen doesn't feel they can price their product to a point to cover the additional cost. Since Bowen only has one license and GG/Koto/SS have many licenses where they can spread the costs over many pieces. I'm sure it's all financially motivated.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
If I were to hazard a guess, and of course it's all speculation since there is no news or updates coming out of the Bowen camp, is that Marvel has raised it's licensing fee to a point where Bowen doesn't feel they can price their product to a point to cover the additional cost. Since Bowen only has one license and GG/Koto/SS have many licenses where they can spread the costs over many pieces. I'm sure it's all financially motivated.
I completely agree with your assessment. Bowen has shot itself in the foot by only maintaining one franchise under its belt. That is not a problem for other companies that have various streams of revenue.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
actionjackson83
Midnighter

I don't think Bowen is the only company that is having licensing issue, it seems industry wide. Really stupid of Marvel if this were really the case to do this, they stand to lose more revenue than gain from it this way.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
I don't think Bowen is the only company that is having licensing issue, it seems industry wide. Really stupid of Marvel if this were really the case to do this, they stand to lose more revenue than gain from it this way.
Maybe, maybe not. Marvel and Disney have some very smart people running the companies and they know a lot more about marketing and finance than most here do. Handing out licenses to any Tom, Dick, or Harry is a lot to manage. Whittling it down to select few has it's advantages as it's easier to manage. What we perceive as what is the best from an outsiders perspective is typically looked at as fans and not from a financially astute position.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that view. Yes, Marvel has up its license fees substantially over the last few years; but the demand for merchandise bearing its name is at its highest. The Marvel universe is more popular than ever, and the movies and animated shows are a big reason for that. Everybody wants a piece of the multi billion dollar pie and Disney knows it. Company executives are going to exploit it as far as they can. It is business as usual.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Marvel and Disney have some very smart people running the companies and they know a lot more about marketing and finance than most here do. Handing out licenses to any Tom, Dick, or Harry is a lot to manage. Whittling it down to select few has it's advantages as it's easier to manage. What we perceive as what is the best from an outsiders perspective is typically looked at as fans and not from a financially astute position.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
Storm Lover
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Thank you my fellow collectors for your perceptive responses. At this late stage in the negotiation game I would be very surprised (and pleased) if this deal goes through.

We go through this nail biting experience every year, but this time it's really critical. Getting tired of it.

Before I'm done with Bowen I was hoping to get Domino (X-Force version), Spiral, Longshot and Kazar/Zabu. If not, oh well.
Storm Lover is offline   Reply With Quote