Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 08-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
travis
A.I.M.

20" Man-Thing statue

Just saw this one went up for sale. I really like it a lot but am not getting it. I just bet it will have a real low ES.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Of all the Marvel characters, I can't see this one being high on too many people's wishlist. Sometime I wonder what the process is for selecting characters to produce.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Cyber-Lip
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Of all the Marvel characters, I can't see this one being high on too many people's wishlist. Sometime I wonder what the process is for selecting characters to produce.
I'm all about the Man Thing, but the choice to re-create this particular cover w/the clown is an odd choice. If there was a ton of Man Thing product out there and a few dozen statues had already been produced, OK, but I'd think in Man Thing's case, just a solo iconic pose would be more well received. I may still buy it as I'm a huge MT fan, and also have the SS and Bowen MT's. So for my personal collection, the clown rendition makes sense. I think I'm one of maybe 5 people that might feel this way though. It's also an odd looking piece to someone who's not familiar with that very obscure particular book (Man Thing #5). People will look at that and think, "what's with the clown?" or "why is he holding a clown?". You'd pretty much need to display it with the book, or the book/record set. And even then it's kinda like "huh?"

EDIT: just noticed this has their usual clear disk base, which doesn't work that well for this piece being that it's a cover re-creation and not a typical museum pose. That may be a deal breaker for me.

I also think the piece is too clean looking. On the comic cover, the clown is dripping w/swamp water. On the statue he's clean and crisp looking. They should have dirtied him up a bit. MT too, he's too pristine looking, like he just got a bath and grooming
Cyber-Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Love Manthing. Love him. The Bowen piece so underrated it's so amazing.

Not feeling this at all. I would have gone for a 1/4 ManThing totally and while the scene is pretty classic in the comic, as a statue it doesn't work.

Also again the clear base...if this was a muddy swampy base with clear resin water....i might have been pressing the order button.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Love Manthing.
That's what she said.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Why would they put a clown on this one? I understand this is a cover but was that really the best choice or the best cover?
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Cyber-Lip
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomatrix99 View Post
Why would they put a clown on this one? I understand this is a cover but was that really the best choice or the best cover?
That issue was also one of the Comic/Record sets, so besides Man Thing #1 it's probably considered the most classic or famous Man Thing cover. In the story, the clown had committed suicide in the swamp and MT finds his body face down in the swamp and picks him up and carries him around. So to be comic accurate, the statue should have a gun-shot wound on the clown, presumably on the head. It's not shown in the comic where the clown shoots himself.

Cyber-Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
travis
A.I.M.

I love this piece. The Marvel monsters have always had a big place in my heart. When I was making good money at one time I woulda got this in a heartbeat.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
MrYac
Hercules

ok if they'll make Man-Thing lugging around a dead hobo clown perhaps my dreams of a Hit-Monkey statue may have some likelihood after all
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
ok if they'll make Man-Thing lugging around a dead hobo clown perhaps my dreams of a Hit-Monkey statue may have some likelihood after all
True. But it might take 20 years for release.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote