Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 06-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #701
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Well I'm again taking the summer off of the schooling I do for me job... that whole continuing education thing, so that means I get to enjoy some leisure reading opposed to text books.

Working my way through the Trial of Capt America Omnibus as well as finished "The Last Wish" by Andrzej Sapkowski and now continued right into "The Blood of Elves" (also Andrzej Sapkowski). Both books are part of The Witcher line of books. I kind of lost interest in fantasy novels but I'm really enjoying these stories and the world and mythos that has been created. If you have any interest in fantasy novels I would recommend.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:53 PM   #702
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just picked up the Gisele Bündchen book, the one that originally was released as a limited edition and sold for $1200 a pop.

I gotta say, Taschen America Llc make some of the nicest art books I have ever seen and this one is one of the nicest I have seen to date from them. Its a big book (10.3 x 2 x 13.7 inches & 536 pages) and its absolutely stunning. I picked up a copy through an amazon seller for just $41 shipped.

Honestly, I have only gotten about 75% through it thus far and its without question one of the best model/photography art books I have seen to date. I forgot how many amazing fashion editorials Gisele has been in to date. If your a fan of this type of photography, this should be the next purchase on your list. The fact that it can be purchased for just $45 right now on amazon is just a steal. I have purchased books for double that price that weren't even close to matching the quality of this book. And when this goes out of print, I guarantee the price is going to skyrocket.

Now if I could only get a book like this for Paulina Porizkova!!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #703
Babytoxie
Ghost

I normally like Richard Matheson's work, but I just finished a novel of his that was absolutely awful: Hell House (1970), where 4 people try to uncover the secret behind a haunted house. The characters are one-dimensional, the "horror" is not all that horrifying, and the conclusion was very abrupt and unsatisfying.

I've been told that Matheson essentially ripped off Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, which is much better. After reading this crap, ANYTHING would be better...
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #704
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

I got in to Warhammer 40k lately. Currently reading Warhammer 40k Ultramarines series: The Killing Ground by Graham McNeill. It's 420 pages or something like that, i'm at page 138, pretty good so far.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #705
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Currently reading - The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a F@ck !!

Very funny but a great message for anyone who feels overwhelmed with all the crap we unwittingly take on every day.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #706
Python
Omega Red

About to start this, right up my street. And another reminder of how I so wish I'd worked harder at school Not that the UK operates F-16's of course. Military aviation is my biggest love for sure.

Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #707
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just finsihed re-reading Clive Barker's "The Great and Secret Show". I read it when I was younger and absolutely loved it so I figured I would pick it back up and give it another read. I am glad I did as its just an outstanding book by an amazing author. Clive Barker is usually known for horror, but Great and Secret Show is really more a fantasy book than a horror book.

Highly recommended for those that haven't read it.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #708
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I just recieved a signed copy of Michael Lights's photography book 100 Suns. Here is a pic of the cover:

Its basically pictures dealing with nuclear explosions. I just finsihed looking through it last night and I was absolutely blown away. 95% of the pictures are pictures I had never seen before and many of them are truly beautiful and extremely artistic in nature. Who would have though such a destructive and terrifying weapon could be so beautiful at the same time? In particular, the close up pictures of the epicenter of the initial blast are truly spectacular.

Some of these images would make incredibly dynamic prints so I sent Michael and email earlier this morning asking his permission to make a few prints from the book. He gave me permission to make prints from his last book, Full Moon, so I am hoping he says yes this time around as well as I would absolutely love to add a few of these pictures to the rotation of prints I keep up on my walls. All in all, this was easily one of the more unique and beautiful photography books I have purchased in a very long time. If you find this subject matter facinating or just enjoy really beautifu photography, you should seriously consider picking a copy up. Trust me, you won't regredt it. The size of the book is 10.8 x 13.6 inches and is 208 pages. Here is the link to Amazin in case your interested:

https://www.amazon.com/100-Suns-Mich.../dp/1400041139

Here are a couple of examples of the images:

Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #709
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Here are a few more images from the book:

Again, truly one of the most beautiful photography books I have seen in some time. I couldn't possibly give this book a higher recommendation!
Old 10-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #710
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

One last thing for today, does anyone in here have an expereince with Barnes and Nobles collectible editions? Thier basically classic books done in a really beautiful leather hard cover. I have zero expereince with this line of books, but I have been tempted to buy a few for quite some time. I have learned many times over that just becasue a book looks nice doesnt mean its a high quality book in regards to things like the binding, paper, printing etc. So again, I was hoping some members in here might have some personal expereince or some insight on the overall quality of this line of books.

A few of the books I am interested in:

Jurasic Park/Lost World Duo:

Star Wars Trilogy:

The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:

Wrinkle in Time:

War of the Worlds:

Stephen King:

Any info on this line of books would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!