Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #2041
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Who is the best painter on earth and how was this determined?
Haha! That was pretty funny, man! Great post.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #2042
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
When their proto pics get more clicks than Kate Upton's SI spread.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #2043
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
Dont underestimate the impression you get by an awesome paintup. Sideshow has the best painter on earth to paint them. One single painter, the best of all, spending days to paint it to perfection ! Thats the reason the mass product coming from china will never ever look like the prototype you have seen. Hope this helps...
Quote:
I saw these and just out of curiousity I went to the website to see who the painter was and oddly they have 3 painters listed. I am familiar with the work of all 3 and all 3 are excellent but I agree with Bullseye that I don't know if I would call any of them clearly the best IMO but I also know people that would and do have that opinion (that at least one of them is the best).
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #2044
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I saw these and just out of curiousity I went to the website to see who the painter was and oddly they have 3 painters listed. I am familiar with the work of all 3 and all 3 are excellent but I agree with Bullseye that I don't know if I would call any of them clearly the best IMO but I also know people that would and do have that opinion (that at least one of them is the best).
It really doesn't matter as its all 100% purely subjective. "the best painter in the world" only exists as individual opinions, nothing more and nothing less. As a collective whole (speaking in regards to the population), "the best painter in the world" simply doesn't exist. Its right on par with saying the best painting in the world or the best movie in the world or the best videogame in the world. Those only exist as individual opinions and they will change depending on just who you ask.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #2045
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
It really doesn't matter as its all 100% purely subjective. "the best painter in the world" only exists as individual opinions, nothing more and nothing less. As a collective whole (speaking in regards to the population), "the best painter in the world" simply doesn't exist.
Well, one could critique an artist depending on the media and subject matter.

For instance, there's not a whole lot of competition when it comes to Boris Vallejo's mastery with painting fantasy figures, especially his women.

As for statue painting, I would love to see someone post a poll on this and gauge whose the cream of the crop at the moment.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #2046
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Not a big Red Sonja fan but I'm big on barbarian type stuff. I had the Hard Hero Red Sonja years back and sold her for a bundle. I bought this one to go with the ARH Barbarian I ordered and because it's just that good. I'm telling you that the pictures do this thing no justice. You think she looks good in pictures? Nothing compared to in person. Simply stunning.
The Hard Hero Sonja is one of the few Sonja's I don't own. Not sure why, but that piece just never did anything for me. And it doesn't surprise me at all that the pictures do no justice to this version of Sonja. At least for me, pictures rarely ever convey just how nice a statue really is. When you take a 3 dimensional object and represent it in a 2 dimensional medium....well, a lot gets lost in the translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Well, one could critique an artist depending on the media and subject matter.

For instance, there's not a whole lot of competition when it comes to Boris Vallejo's mastery with painting fantasy figures, especially his women.

As for statue painting, I would love to see someone post a poll on this and gauge whose the cream of the crop at the moment.
Of course one can critique an artist and that critique in itself is 100% purely subjective. There is no right or wrong when it comes to subjectivity. Its all just opinions. And your choice to bring up Boris Vallejo is actually a perfect example of just what I am talking about as I personally rank Lucio Parillo above Vallejo, especially when it comes to painting women. In my opinion, Lucio Parrillo created the single sexiest comic cover in the entire history of comics (Vampirella #19). Of course, thats just my opinion and its no more valid than any other comic fan. Its all subjective and different people have different opinions. Its as simple as that.

And even if you took a poll and 99.9% of the people voted on a particular painter, it still wouldn't change anything in regards to what I said as in the end, the opinions from the .1% are just as valid as the opinions from the 99.9%.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #2047
Spam Filter
The Herculoids

So my wife decided to get this for me for Christmas (actually for next year's Christmas). I did spend all the points I got in the Spooktacular which was worth about $50.

Still not happy about these prices, I'm probably going to hold back to buying no more than one a year from this point on.
Spam Filter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #2048
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:

Paul Moore, see his Conans...
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #2049
SpawnDude
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Well, your entitled to believe that if you so choose. Me, I'm not buying that at all. IMO, this is one of the top 3 sculpts I have ever seen before, in the entire history of the statue industry. It absolutely blows away every previous Sonja statue produced. Statues of this quality are rare enough. Add to that the absolutely perfect rendition of the character itself and....well, again I am just not buying it.

We will no doubt see more Sonja statues as the years go by, but I don't see this statue being topped for a VERY VERY LONG time. If you want to wait for that "awesomer" version, then by all means wait away. Myself, I am buying this one as again I don't buy for a second that we will see a superior version anytime soon, and by soon I am talking 5+ years.

Same here. I actually really like the last PF. I think this new one is a much better version overall, but I still loved the last PF and will definitely be displaying the 2 side by side.

There ya go! It was on the tip of my tounge and just couldn't pull it out. Thanks for clearing that up.

Just have to add my 2 cents, The original SOnya EX with head is available to me for $400 and there are a few I can pick up locally as people are unloading these.

If you have no body sense and dont know a skinny chick from a soft useless chick to a female fighter the original is OK but if you can see what type of person you are looking at you can see the original is the palace play toy and has a soft weak body made for pleasure and could not fight her way out of a paper bag. The body type of the original sucked and my girlfriend is more hard bodied and built than that soft skank. She looks good for a sex object but as a Red Sonya a total fail.

Hard Hero BLOWS away the last PF and has the same body type as the new PF almost exactly down to the arms and abs and legs.

The new one is a fighter, A warrior, A woman to be feared and respected. I am into MMA and a woman can fight a man and does not have to be huge but in training you can see clearly who has it and who does not. Just like I knew Holly Holms would be too strong for Rousey to take down or hold down and would get beat up. It is easy to see these things if you are aware of body types and what they are capable of.

The new Red Sonya is a sexy killer, the original is softer than anything I have ever seen in any gym or fight club and is good for pleasing men.

If you think both woman are hot buy them as hot chicks but if you think the original represents the She Devil with a sword please dont even reply as she is hot but anything but a warrior.

And what got me ranting is that statues are not comic books, the 1st one made means nothing at all or the most valuable statues would be the first ones from Applause Marvel universe made of polystone. In the statue world they always get better and the originals seem to climb as lemmings drive up the value but new collectors want the newer better version. Perfect example, Original Applause Hulk statue worth nothing and Sideshow Hulk moving slightly down as the new EX is out and wait for an even better Hulk and you will be lucky to get 1200 for that thing down the road.

They always get better as they just look at what was made in the past and improve on it.

Everything gets better every year and the best ever male and female statues will be made next year and even better ones the year after, already people are looking at there Wonder Woman and saying "this is not that great" when a year ago it blew peoples minds.

The only thing that holds statues value is lemming effect and buying what other collectors say is the best, left to new buyers all the old stuff is forgotten as better comes out, Just waiting for a Doom on throne by XM or somebody and watch the original slide fast.

Nothing wrong with that, it is the nature of sculpting, it always gets better, Spawn toys proved that and always got better and statues are no different, we can learn a lot about statues futures from Mcfarlane toys, Awesome one day and forgotten the next. Always something cooler coming down the pike.

That said, the new Red Sonya is amazing and hope the production piece is as nice, they are charging $150 extra for her over statues her size and she is the same price as HULK so I hope that money is for quality control and paint. One can only hope as $550 for a female statue is a new all time high for Sideshow and opens the door to $700 for big men.
SpawnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #2050
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

If the QC on this Sonja comes through (the paint apps don't even have to be phenomenal), it will crack the all time Sideshow Top 10
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote