Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-26-2015, 03:35 AM   #591
federico
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
Is the cape supposed to make physical contact with the left boot? I've seen some pics where it doesn't look like it and was wondering if the hole for the cape peg might be a little too far back on mine. My cape definitely doesn't rest as far down the chest as other pics I'v seen (unless my bat emblem is just sitting further down). Not that I care as long as the cape resting against the boot isn't going to cause any damage.
No, the cape is not touching either boot!
federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #592
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

edit.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #593
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post
No, the cape is not touching either boot!
Thanks for the response. I can't believe I didn't notice it before, but I basically have no peg on the cape, which pretty much explains all the hours I've spent trying to get the base level. I've been moving the pads around trying to get them to a place where all 4 touch the surface it's resting on when the cape is in place since adding the cape pulled the statue back and lifted one side of the base slightly higher. It wasn't until I noticed the cape touching the leg that I thought something might else might be wrong.... Great.
BrandonJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #594
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Got this yesterday and the box is smashed up really bad with the foam getting crushed inside. Will have to see if all is ok inside for sure. I better ask ss for a new styro otherwise I can't repacking this back up for box up or sell reasons if it comes to it.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #595
Jase
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Can't wait for this one to arrive! This version *IS* Batman to me.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #596
Khufu
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
Can't wait for this one to arrive! This version *IS* Batman to me.
I agree - this version reminds me of the oldie TV show with Adam West.

I do have a question for anyone... Why is this one called "Modern"? I would think the all black/gray one would be modern, but I'm not really knowledgeable about Batman or DC in general. I just wanted a Batman statue since the I loved the old TV show and recent movies, and I always thought this color pattern and cheesy utility belt was the old school Batman.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #597
decoyoctopus10
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
I agree - this version reminds me of the oldie TV show with Adam West.

I do have a question for anyone... Why is this one called "Modern"? I would think the all black/gray one would be modern, but I'm not really knowledgeable about Batman or DC in general. I just wanted a Batman statue since the I loved the old TV show and recent movies, and I always thought this color pattern and cheesy utility belt was the old school Batman.
I think it refers to the "Modern Age" in comics starting in the 80s.
decoyoctopus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #598
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
Judging from SEVERAL pictures I have seen from that angle the head looks off, but I am willing to bet that the piece looks awesome when viewed from the selected angle. So in the end as long as people enjoy the piece that is what matters. Edit: I will say I think it needs a straight on looking head though
But thats my whole point, every statue has angles where you can make certain aspects of the statue seem....well, just off or weird. Clearly one of those angles with this statue is that angle taken from the left side as it makes his neck look longer than normal and that is only exaggerated when your down low and use a wider angle focal length. I'm not arguing that it doesnt look weird from that angle. I'm arguing that it's an angle that is irrelvant as nobody is actually going to view or display the statue from that angle.

Again, I can pretty much guarantee that I could take any statue Sideshow has ever created, even thier most beloved pieces, and find similar angles to take pictures from that make one aspect or another of the statue seem off. And again, that is only amplified if one doesnt use a proper focal length when shooting.

One should never go outside the 50mm to 85mm focal length range when shooting statues. Anything above 85mm is going to flatten out the features and anything below 50mm is going to stretch out and distort the features. And while 50mm is more in line with what the human eye sees, 85mm is a more natural portrait lens so statues are going to look a bit nicer when photographed with a focal length closer to 85mm. This is definitely one of the more common problems I notice with the pictures many people take of thier statues.

At least for me, the only thing that is important is how the statue looks from normal viewing angles and this statue was definitely not designed to be viewed from that left side angle, especially down low. The fact that he is looking away from that side should make that clear enough. This statue is clearly meant to be viewed straight on or from a more right sided angle like the picture I showed before.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #599
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Decided to part ways with my (black) Batman EX last weekend before its value drops. Nearly doubled my money so I'm happy and paid off my Prime1 Raphael statue with the cash

This one looks great though. Think I'm content with the life-size bust for my larger Batman fix for now though. Still debating the the Bale Batman PF
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #600
Khufu
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoyoctopus10 View Post
I think it refers to the "Modern Age" in comics starting in the 80s.
Ah, okay that makes sense. Thanks!
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote