Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 07-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sideshow – Batgirl Premium Format Exclusive - The StatueForum Review

Batgirl Premium Format Exclusive – The Statueforum Review

Sideshow Collectibles presents the eagerly awaited and much anticipated Batgirl Premium format statue. And, let’s just come right out and say -- it does not disappoint. Batgirl fans should be thrilled with this beauty. This stunning premium format statue is a remarkable addition to Sideshow’s fabulous line of Batman universe statues, busts, props, and other memorabilia.

The Barbara Gordon Batgirl’s first appearance dates back to Detective Comics #369 published in January, 1967. The sought-after key issue was written by Gardner Fox and pencilled by Carmine Infantino. Batgirl’s remarkable attributes include expert martial arts, genius-level intellect, superb hacking skills, photographic memory, and an investigative savvy and prowess likely only surpassed the caped crusader, Batman. She was enough of a hit to prompt Desilu studios to include her as a regular cast member on the third season of the Batman live action TV show.

Click on the banner above the images to expand pic for clearer viewing.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 07-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 07-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 07-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 07-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Here are some pics of the shorter hair exclusive portrait:

Old 07-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 07-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Really nice detail on the base.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sideshow Collectibles – Batgirl Premium Format Exclusive - The StatueForum Review

The Batgirl stands a towering 22 inches tall, weighs approximately 11 pounds, and should display without issue in an IKEA besta and/or detolf cabinet. The retail price for both the exclusive (edition size of 1500) and the regular (edition size of 2500) is $399.99 plus shipping. Sideshow began shipping out this statue to collectors and retailers on July 8, 2015.

The impressive team behind the design and development of the Batgirl Premium Format are as follows: Stanley "Artgerm" Lau (Design), Ian MacDonald (Design), Dylan Forman (Design), Andy Bergholtz (Design, Sculpt), Walter O'Neal (Design, Sculpt), Mark Newman (Sculpt), Matt Black (Sculpt), Mike Allen (Mold & Cast), Chadwick Andersen (Mold & Cast), Mireya Romo-Bowen (Paint), Kat Sapene (Paint) and Jennifer Johnson (Costume Fabrication).

Sculpture: Sideshow did a really nice job capturing the look of Batgirl. At first glance, it actually comes off as a nice blend of the various historical Batgirl interpretations which should satisfy fans of both the silver age and New 52 eras. While I admit to having a preference for the silver age era, I’m certainly pleased with this interpretation as well. The coloring is quite dynamic in the sense that the contrasts work really well, i.e., black and gold. I absolutely love the folds on this costume as it accentuates what most artists and sculptors seem to forget, i.e., that these are costumes and not a painted on full-body-sized tattoos. However, I would have preferred a more muscular build. From certain angles, she looks more slender than athletic and thus arguably less superheroine or crimefighter.

The silver batarang is a certainly a nice touch, although I would have preferred she held it less like a compact make-up kit and more like the deadly weapon that it is. I would actually have preferred a chrome or metallic version of the batarang, but that didn’t seem to be in the cards. The base is smaller than the other bases in the Batman line of PFs, though it does keep in line with the general wood-theme with bat insignias. It looks really nice. Incidentally, the artistic tile-like pattern on the flat side of the base is meant to appear like something we might see in a library, i.e., in tribute to Barbara's Gordon's day job as librarian. It's a nice touch as well.

The statue comes in 5 pieces: The Batgirl body, the base, two portraits, and the posable cape. Alas, the two portraits resemble one another far too much, i.e., the difference being the length of hair. While the portraits are certainly pleasing to the eye (I prefer the longer haired portrait), this nonetheless struck me as a lost opportunity to do something more with the second portrait, e.g., an unmasked portrait.

Rating: 8/10
-------------------------------------------------------

Paint/Mixed media: The paint applications on the polystone are definitely above average. While the paint applications do not appear to be attempting to break new grounds, there is something to be said for producing a product which resembles the promo pics, which many collectors have argued hasn’t been Sideshow’s strong point of late. Thankfully, this time around, it appears fans are getting what they paid for. There’s solid attention to detail and there’s just enough of a mix between polystone and cloth to keep things looking classy. Furthermore, no googley eyes, paint splotches, or painting over lines to report. This piece is worth the money.

Despite what some pics might show, the paint on the lips are full. The portrait could have used a bit more shading, if only to give the face a greater sense of definition. Extra points definitely go towards the eye shadow make-up. It looks really good. It certainly adds to the appeal of the piece.

The posable cape does require some patience and fine tuning. However, I suspect people are aware of what awaits them in this regard. Fortunately, the cape is relative easy to position in one’s desired fashion.

As a collector who shared concerns regarding Sideshow paint applications in the past, I think fans may rest assured with this release. Nicely done, Sideshow. This is a well deserved nine point five out of ten. Keep it up!

Rating 9.5/10

Production and Build quality: This is a good, solid piece, even if lighter than most premium format releases. Very easy to put together. There’s no tilting or imbalance to it. While not an exact replica of the promo pics, it’s certainly closer than we’re used to receiving. This is a step in the right direction.

Rating 9/10

Design: While this piece will undoubtedly display well alongside the other Batman universe premium formats, I think the pose lacks a certain wow factor. She looks too relaxed, coy, almost too playful and posey (i.e., not quite Barbie though) and as a result, perhaps loses points in the ready-for-action department often seen in male statues.

While I don’t typically mind the standard museum type poses, I feel like there’s something left to be desired here. I’m just not excited by the design of this Batgirl statue. For me, a genuine hit is when I feel I may not need another statue of the character (e.g., the Spiderman comiquette). I just don’t feel that here. I would have preferred a Batgirl more poised for battle and looking more serious. I didn’t feel this piece expressed the character’s attributes as much as it could have. However, this is the only negative I can think of regarding this piece, although it isn't a small one, which could have just as easily been explained or justified by artistic license and interpretation.

Rating: 7.5/10

Overall, I think this piece is a success despite the noted few shortcomings. However, I think there’s an opportunity here for Sideshow to eventually revisit this character and produce a piece which looks more heroic and less cutesy. For now though, this one is certainly more than good enough to grace your shelves. I really like it. This ¼ scale Batgirl statue definitely has its place in your collection. Recommended.

Overall rating: 8.5/10

Pictures taken with the Nikon D5300 with 18-140mm lens.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Are a Sideshow at last getting their act together this looks nice.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote