Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
What difference does that make?
https://youtu.be/4xgx4k83zzc
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:06 AM   #32
ukshaun
Hercules

Neat piece. Not too sure about the pose. I can't wait to see Big Chap from Prime 1.

One aspect i do like about the Mamegyorai 1/3 Big Chap Alien, is it looks like a human wearing an Alien outfit, in the leg(s) hip area atleast, as there appears to be creases.

I've been holding out to add an Alien piece to my collection for ages.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:28 AM   #33
pdenham
Teen Titans

I'm in the minority for whom this is a damn near perfect pose for this particular character from this particular film.

Even though I realize this is taken from a pretty well known BTS photo, I think it channels the personality and M.O. of the character better than anything I've seen.

It almost like he is trying to hide from the viewers gaze, and be as inconspicuous as possible. It's such an odd and untraditional way to pose any character - but that is exactly what this thing was when he first came on the scene (long before his design would be commonplace and taken for granted)- odd and untraditional.

For me, it's a toss up between the Nostromo (I believe it's HCG doing it) and this.

I'd really like to get the latter in a kit, but if the finished product looks good and it comes in around the same price as this, it's going to be a hard choice.

I'm figuring that this is going to be more than the $1800 it's going for on Amazon when SS gets it's percentage. It will probably get priced like one of their LSFs.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #34
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
One aspect i do like about the Mamegyorai 1/3 Big Chap Alien, is it looks like a human wearing an Alien outfit, in the leg(s) hip area atleast, as there appears to be creases.

I love this aspect. Many companies, especially Sideshow (even CM were guilty) seem to be almost embarrassed by the fact that it was a guy in a suit and often make him overly skinny. In fact I seem to remember a behind the scenes video of the SSC Maquette in which it was almost used as a selling point that they'd disguised this fact by making it skinny and using the Nosferatu pose. He wasn't called "Big chap" for nothing.

Koto recently put out a dainty little 1/10 Big chap that really embraced the man in a suit look. It was a lovely little piece and this thing has taken it to an entirely different level. You can make it skinny and stylise him all you like, but you can't improve on perfection. And the Big chap is still to this day the perfect on screen monster imo, warts and all. It's so nice to see some companies embracing that and going all out recently. I have been so close to ordering the Coolprops maquette, but this really has thrown a spanner in the works. We'll see what Prime 1 can do....
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #35
ukshaun
Hercules

At $1738.87 he doesn't come cheap
The price and pose is enough to put me off

I'm guessing the Prime 1 Alien Big Chap will be between $1100 and $1350
(..and come with a base ..and possibly something extra, like a swap out head, mouth open maybe?)

http://www.mamegyorai.co.jp/html/alien_project/

Good work.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #36
Python
Omega Red

Well no, but what is these days. I suppose you'd have to justify said cost by treating this as a centerpiece, the ultimate example of the character.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #37
ukshaun
Hercules

I'm not familiar with Mamegyorai
What is their QC record like when it comes to production vs prototype?
Old 08-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #38
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I'm not familiar with Mamegyorai
What is their QC record like when it comes to production vs prototype?

I have no idea, I was going to ask the same question....
Old 08-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #39
pdenham
Teen Titans

As someone else said somewhere else, the are a Japanese company. I would assume they take living up to their solicited prototypes as a point of honor as businessmen and therefore they'll strive to achieve that rather than take the cheap and easy way out or cut corners.

I'm sure there are exceptions to that, but of the Japanese products I've bought in my life, that seems to be the rule rather than the exception- no matter what product it is.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #40
Python
Omega Red

The question however is whether these are actually made in Japan or not? Coolprops are a Japanese company. Their production quality is often lacking sadly.