Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 02-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #71
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
I think this is a great rule to follow.

I'm currently selling off a bunch of 'portfolio' pieces. They were nice to have, but ultimately just sat hidden in a portfolio, which I end up questioning why even bother?
If you never look at them, I understand what you're saying. But if you take out your portfolios and look at the artwork once in a while, it's no different than having books on the shelf, comics in the closet, or ANYTHING really. They're there for when you want to enjoy them.

Personally, I don't frame anything. I live in an apartment, space is at a premium, and if one of the shmoes who lives in my building decides to set it on fire, with the exception of making sure my wife and I get out, the first thing I'm grabbing is my portfolios. I don't want to have to worry about juggling frames running down the stairs, LOL.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #72
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
I think this is a great rule to follow.

I'm currently selling off a bunch of 'portfolio' pieces. They were nice to have, but ultimately just sat hidden in a portfolio, which I end up questioning why even bother?
Eh, different strokes. I love flipping through portfolios of great art. It's like opening presents multiple times a year.

I don't knock the "gotta frame everything" collecting stance but don't buy into it personally

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:16 AM   #73
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I wish I could provide something to this board, but the hobby got way too big for me and I had to leave it =/ And even though I have some really good pieces, my last batch of purchases were just too expensive and too hard to get for what I got. With a SDCC comic badge and some fine planning to get to people's tables early enough, I paid $600 for Cheung head sketch, $600 for a Stanley Lau blank cover copic sketch, $1000 for a published V Ken Marion splash piece, a waste of 5 hours to get a rushed, basic Roccafort sketch after he spent a couple hours doing a sketch for someone before me, and another 3 hour waste to get a blank cover head sketch in sharpie from Marc Silvestri (he even forgot who he was drawing for me in the middle of drawing and gave me a weird mix of a character, lol)... and those were all back in 2015 =(

I can't afford $4000-$10000 to buy published pieces online from artists I want to collect (on top of me even liking the pieces that are available to buy), I can't afford the time or the costs to try and attend convention shows to try and convince an artist to hopefully create a commission for me, and I can't afford the prices other collectors are asking to let go of pieces that I have an interest in buying =(

I'm very happy with the pieces I own, so I won't be getting rid of them. But unless there's some sort of "art collector burst" and pieces become more readily available and affordable I don't think I'm going to be adding to my collection any time soon =(
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #74
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
I wish I could provide something to this board, but the hobby got way too big for me and I had to leave it =/ And even though I have some really good pieces, my last batch of purchases were just too expensive and too hard to get for what I got. With a SDCC comic badge and some fine planning to get to people's tables early enough, I paid $600 for Cheung head sketch, $600 for a Stanley Lau blank cover copic sketch, $1000 for a published V Ken Marion splash piece, a waste of 5 hours to get a rushed, basic Roccafort sketch after he spent a couple hours doing a sketch for someone before me, and another 3 hour waste to get a blank cover head sketch in sharpie from Marc Silvestri (he even forgot who he was drawing for me in the middle of drawing and gave me a weird mix of a character, lol)... and those were all back in 2015 =(

I can't afford $4000-$10000 to buy published pieces online from artists I want to collect (on top of me even liking the pieces that are available to buy), I can't afford the time or the costs to try and attend convention shows to try and convince an artist to hopefully create a commission for me, and I can't afford the prices other collectors are asking to let go of pieces that I have an interest in buying =(

I'm very happy with the pieces I own, so I won't be getting rid of them. But unless there's some sort of "art collector burst" and pieces become more readily available and affordable I don't think I'm going to be adding to my collection any time soon =(
You're not at all alone in this situation. I RARELY purchase anything these days, and I haven't gotten a commission (with the rare exception of something from Ron Lim, who I'm friends with) in I can't remember how many years, all for the reasons you've stated. Prices are just too high, especially when I consider how much I was paying for things 10-15 years ago.

Remember, it's not quantity, it's quality. Have some money in reserve in case something pops up. Browse ebay, the auction houses, Comic Art Fans, etc...and just enjoy seeing what others get. You never know when something will pop up that you like AND can afford. If you have some nice pieces you don't mind parting with, offer some trades as well. I know that I'm MUCH more likely to trade than sell things I have.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #75
prizzy726
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
$600 for a Stanley Lau blank cover copic sketch
Is that really what he’s charging?? was hoping to get him in a sketchbook at C2E2 but I don’t know now. I guess it’s not that surprising.
prizzy726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #76
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizzy726 View Post
Is that really what he’s charging?? was hoping to get him in a sketchbook at C2E2 but I don’t know now. I guess it’s not that surprising.
I want to know what he charges for quick 5-7 minute line art. Is $100 to low to expect?
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #77
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I want to know what he charges for quick 5-7 minute line art. Is $100 to low to expect?
Yes
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #78
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Let's keep the momentum going.

What new purchases has everyone picked up lately?

CAF
Old 04-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #79
IG-64
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Let's keep the momentum going.

What new purchases has everyone picked up lately?
Sadly nothing. Have budgeted for some potential things, some more theoretical than others, but who knows if any of that "hits". If the budget still stands towards the end of the year, may throw some offers at stuff in other people's CAF galleries that I've long been watching and see if I get any hits.
IG-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #80
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG-64 View Post
Sadly nothing. Have budgeted for some potential things, some more theoretical than others, but who knows if any of that "hits". If the budget still stands towards the end of the year, may throw some offers at stuff in other people's CAF galleries that I've long been watching and see if I get any hits.
good luck on the hunt!

CAF