didn't realize this was a thing, pretty stupid
Yes. Yes it is.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #32
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
not a bad idea, you get a free acrylic display case that usually cost $50-$100 to display your statue in. Unless the grading fee is more than that.
Or the statue when put all together ends up being larger than the case. But still not a bad thought.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #33
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
Leaving a statue in the box defeats the purpose of owning a statue.
Not necessarily. It just depends on the kind of collector your dealing with. Some people buy statues to display them and some people collect them just to own them and keep them sealed. Displying it just wasn't one of the reasons they purchased it to begin with. Its just different collecting methodologies and since its all subjective, one is really no more right than another. Again, it just depends on the individual collectors and thier purpose for collecting in the first place.

Buying a statue and keeping it in the box is really no different than buying a slabbed comic or buying a comic and having it slabbed. The purpose of a statue is to display it and the purpose of a comic is to read it. Keeping a statue sealed prevents you from displaying it and slabbing a comic prevents you from reading it.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:17 AM   #34
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

first time i ever seen an AFA graded statue...much less a SSC statue. Would make more sense to send in something that is already open that qualifies for the "Q" or "AFA Qualified" rating. That way the contents can be inspected before rating. The MISB statue grading in this case works against it. I would rather get an AFA graded statue that's been opened and inspected.

LOL...Imagine an AFA graded XM Studios statue like the Phoenix with that ginormous box. I don't think there is an acrylic case that would be strong enough for that box.
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #35
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
not a bad idea, you get a free acrylic display case that usually cost $50-$100 to display your statue in. Unless the grading fee is more than that.
Its more than that most likely when you add in shipping both ways and insurance on the return. For a box whose three dimensions measure 50-59 inches the costs for grading range from 160 - 350, add another 75-100 for return shipping/insurance, plus the cost to ship to the grading company. Larger than 60 inches they don't even publish prices.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #36
risingstar
Jedi Order

Wow - Only $300US shipping to Canada. Good grief. I ship to the US rather often. It costs no more than $50-$75 to ship that statue from his to my location.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #37
Shadowfax
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Wow - Only $300US shipping to Canada. Good grief. I ship to the US rather often. It costs no more than $50-$75 to ship that statue from his to my location.
P.T. Barnum was indeed correct
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #38
ChromeColossus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I am so looking forward to NOT getting this, HAHAHAHA
ChromeColossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #39
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

That's been up for a while now...I guess the whole graded statue box thing hasn't caught on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Buying a statue and keeping it in the box is really no different than buying a slabbed comic or buying a comic and having it slabbed. The purpose of a statue is to display it and the purpose of a comic is to read it. Keeping a statue sealed prevents you from displaying it and slabbing a comic prevents you from reading it.
But you can see the comic when it's slabbed...you can't see the statue. Same with figures. Collectors are going to collect how they're going to collect, but this makes no sense to me...unless you're looking to flip the statue as new. Even then, no one cares if the box is "graded".
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote