Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-16-2023, 05:51 PM   #211
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forps is back View Post
Bye, my fellow collectors!!! See you in 6/7y or when Sideshow announces her entrance in the 1/3 comic scale!!!
So what are the odds Sideshow will do 1/3 comic statues...have they ever done something in 1/3? It will be the harbinger of the return of Forps...yet again But I get the sense Sideshow wants to keep their statues in the more budget-friendly realm, and 1/3 isn't exactly conducive to such a thing.
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:12 PM   #212
qz33
Doctor Doom

Few people consider that businesses like all living things have a finite lifespan. It is entirely possible Sideshow is content to operate within their current parameters or cease altogether.

Bowen didn't have to quit and could have come back. He had reasons not to.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:38 PM   #213
67L88Stingray
Alpha Flight

Sideshow doesn't even want to make their own stuff anymore, just be a distribution hub. They are a lazy company and they let the Chinese factories rob them blind doing knock offs. I can't say I would miss them; they haven't made anything I own in probably 5+ years(and even those were mostly colabs with other studios)
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:45 PM   #214
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Sideshow doesn't even want to make their own stuff anymore, just be a distribution hub. They are a lazy company and they let the Chinese factories rob them blind doing knock offs. I can't say I would miss them; they haven't made anything I own in probably 5+ years(and even those were mostly colabs with other studios)
I think more Sideshow can easily see the writing on the wall and also know what a fool's errand trying to enforce any contract in China is especially concerning IP and China's off brand market.
Old 08-16-2023, 09:49 PM   #215
67L88Stingray
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I think more Sideshow can easily see the writing on the wall and also know what a fool's errand trying to enforce any contract in China is especially concerning IP and China's off brand market.
No, that isn't right, they don't even oversee them like other companies. You need people on the ground there as the Chinese will always cut corners or rob you blind otherwise, and SS don't even bother.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:28 PM   #216
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Even Chinese companies have to meet certain standards imposed by their clients/customers; but if the standards aren’t enforced by either penalties or by losing said work; that’s more to do with Sideshow than the factory.

As many business, even in our own backyards would do the same to save a buck.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 12:16 AM   #217
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
No, that isn't right, they don't even oversee them like other companies. You need people on the ground there as the Chinese will always cut corners or rob you blind otherwise, and SS don't even bother.
I see tons of recasts from Kotobukiya, Cinemaquette, XM, Prime 1, even Queen Studios based in China. They don't have "boots on the ground" either?
Old 08-17-2023, 12:30 AM   #218
67L88Stingray
Alpha Flight

Quote:
I see tons of recasts from Kotobukiya, Cinemaquette, XM, Prime 1, even Queen Studios based in China. They don't have "boots on the ground" either?
I am not talking about recasts. That is a different kind of Chinese scum. I am talking about the original factories where their own stuff is made.
Old 08-17-2023, 01:03 AM   #219
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
I am not talking about recasts. That is a different kind of Chinese scum. I am talking about the original factories where their own stuff is made.
Okay so I was addressing this. Am I missing something?
As far as quality I get that Sideshow may be more hands off than say PCS but I do not see the extra effort in the results. I see literally every company suffering from poor QC and Sideshow has had as many good as it gets as anyone.
Generally the only thing the factories respect is a higher commission as they know there are few alternatives for any of these producers.

Quote:
Old 08-17-2023, 07:47 AM   #220
67L88Stingray
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Okay so I was addressing this. Am I missing something?
As far as quality I get that Sideshow may be more hands off than say PCS but I do not see the extra effort in the results. I see literally every company suffering from poor QC and Sideshow has had as many good as it gets as anyone.
Generally the only thing the factories respect is a higher commission as they know there are few alternatives for any of these producers.
Yes, by not monitoring their own factories they let them do overruns and kits right from the actual SS molds. They sometimes have a "night shift" come in and make them right on the same line. AFAIK the only ones who actually own their factories are Cinemaquette/ECC and Infinity, everyone else needs reps there. Chronicle went into detail here years ago about how they were getting screwed over when they didn't have someone there to physically monitor them.