I'm going to reply to this q later.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Machismo View Post
To reiterate what Dave said, find your focus and start small. I made the mistake of going big, fast, across any art that I liked across Marvel, DC, etc. I had no focus and when the appeal of the art wore off, I wasn't happy with the piece. As a result, I've sold every non Batman piece I bought. On non-Batman stuff I came out breaking even, or at least close, I believe -- but it was a headache. Great learning experience, but if you don't have to do it...

Now, it's only about 5% of the time I'll buy a piece just for the art. Otherwise, it has to be one of my favourite comics/runs, else I know I won't hold on to it.

Also, it can be a black hole. So there's that.
I'm jealous of anyone that can stick with a focused collection. It would make my life a lot easier. I'm still all over the place in what I collect but I just can't stay in one lane.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #13
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Focus is so very difficult. A lot of people think that it must be easy for me based upon my art collection. Couldn't be farther from the truth actually. I am always fighting the allure of stuff outside of my focus and occasionally drift a bit (bought 3 Pitt pieces very recently as an example). I am focused these days based upon learning in other hobbies. I have 50+ boxes of comics with maybe 10% being Hulk. I have boxes of figures and other collectible items that are outside of my focus. I learned in these hobbies what I get the most enjoyment from and have learned to keep this in mind then the next shiny object pops up on my monitor. I don't regret it however - all my hobbies have been an enjoyable ride, with art easily at the top.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #14
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I'm feeling compelled to reply to this thread from a novice collector point of view, as all the replies given here have been great, but are coming from an aspect of collecting art versus collecting artists.

I collect artists, and my collection is actually small but has some very popular names because I was lucky. And it's in that gamut that I think you need to figure out what you want to collect before anything else, otherwise this hobby will drive you mad.

Is it that you like Batman, or that you like Batman drawn by Jim Lee? (I like Caitlin Fairchild from Gen13, but only drawn by J Scott Campbell.) Do you want one character drawn by many artists, or only a select few artists? (I like Superman, but I'd rather pay for a Jim Lee or Michael Turner or Bruce Timm piece than have twenty other artist pieces.) Do you want published pages that you're fond of (maybe grew up with) or are private commissions what you're looking for? (A lot of older published pieces have been sold over the years, and if they haven't then more than likely the artist kept those pieces in their own private collections.) Do you only want private commissions that you came up with, or would you mind buying someone else's commission that's for sale? (I'd love to own a Mara Jade Star Wars Adam Hughes piece, but I'd take any drawing of her that anyone would be willing to sell.) Etc etc.

What a lot of the replies in this thread have been about so far is getting you to realize a budget and where you can look to find art for sale. But for me, I would want to know what it is, or who it is, that I want to collect first. After you've got that figured out, then you can start the long process of trying to find art, hoping to find art, hoping to convince the owners of art you like to part ways with it and sell it to you, getting to know artists so they would be willing to do a commission for you, figuring out which artists are drama queens and which ones are decent people, trying to find seasoned artists who still do commissions, and trying to find younger artists who want to do commissions.

And like said already, CAF, eBay, sometimes pedigreecomics, sometimes artists personal websites, and DeviantART are great places to look. Cuz it doesn't always have to be about older/established art for sale if you don't mind collecting commissions from talented people who would give you good custom pieces =)

Good luck!
DiscoCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
BillC
Hellboy

I'll give you the best advice possible:

Turn and run.

And if the spirt of original art purchasing comes near you, trap it in a pentagram and kill it with fire.

...but in all seriousness, don't assume the artists themselves don't have what you want (even if their dealer tells you otherwise). Social media can be your friend in this regard.

Also network my man.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #16
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Best advice i can give is find people with similar likes and become buds with them. Its always best to have someone you can trust in this hobby that u can bounce things around and get honest opinions on if u are nuts or not.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

My two cents

Let me preface things by saying that collecting original artwork is unlike anything else I've ever collected in my life. It has a sense of history and meaning to it, and depending on the piece you acquire, you can sometimes actually feel a surreal connection to the writer/artist team associated with the page. If you're not careful, that feeling can become quite intoxicating.

Romanticisms aside, original art is largely a one-of-a-kind business which means it has the stench of exclusivity to it. I have a love/hate relationship with that. The hobby can sometimes feel like a who-do-you-know and how-much-cash-do-you-have hobby especially when it sometimes feels like you never had a shot and some really cool artwork whereas some people seem to have repetitive opportunities to do so. Rather than get frustrated or conspiratorial, what that often means is that you need to be plugged into the community more. I think it's worth the time to do so if you're looking to join. It isn't a huge community so you can get to know the regs rather quickly.

When it comes to buying artwork, my suggestion would be to have rules to the way you buy/collect and to only buy/collect within your financial means as you can easily be drawn to buying big ticket items once you tread down that narrow path.

This is what generally works for me:
1) If it is not going to be displayed (framed), I'm not buying it. My tastes are too pricey for me to collect like baseball cards.
2) I generally only buy paintings so unless a really cool pencil/ink piece comes along, I typically pass on it. I recently acquired an Arthur Adams X-Men cover which justified breaking this particular rule.
3) I should be able to resell what I bought for what I originally paid.
4) Watch the market. Don't get drawn into buying agent prices who are out to lunch. Case in point: Alex Ross. His agent lists some of his work at 25k. You'd be lucky to get half that in a resale. Buy smart.
5) Limit one piece per character. Unless it's a costume variant, or something else that distinguishes it from the piece you already have, don't let your cash burn a hole in your pocket. If I feel the newer piece is better than the one I already have, I will sell the older one.
6) Try not to get drawn into the hype of an artist if you do not like their work. There's this one artist whose artwork I feel looks like it was dipped in water, yet others love his style.
7) Share pics of your artwork on comic art fans pages. It's a great way to meet others who share your love for the hobby as well.
8) If there is a piece of artwork you want, feel free to approach the owner and inquire in a very polite way. You would be amazed at how many pieces can be had especially if the owner finds himself in a sudden need for cash to buy something else he wants.
9) If you're unsure about a purchase, ask for a second opinion. Most people should offer you better advice than simply saying "if you like it, buy it".

I'm sure I have other rules I follow but those are the main ones. Hope it helps!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #18
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Every time you think you're out, they pull you back in......
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #19
SONICobra
Batman

all good advice and tips guys, I really do appreciate it - I have read every comment and learned quite a bit. im really glad I posted the thread and asked the question. I had thought about posting it several times but didn't want to come off as someone who hasn't done their research but aside from doing basic searches on ebay and finding numerous listings for which only a small percentage reflected what I was looking for - I honestly had no idea where to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
Is it that you like Batman, or that you like Batman drawn by Jim Lee? (I like Caitlin Fairchild from Gen13, but only drawn by J Scott Campbell.) Do you want one character drawn by many artists, or only a select few artists?
yes this seemed to be the best approach to me as well. focus on three characters then try to find one piece for each character drawn by an artist I mostly associate with said character. the only bad thing is most of the artists are very high profile and super expensive...

i did find a really nice daredevil pin up by Jerome opena for $1000 but hes not an artist i associate with DD

ironically something he posted on his instagram is kind of what catalyzed this whole thing. this picture of cable and deadpool which had a nycc hashtag on it, so i don't know if it was a commission or what but i was just awe struck by it. his run on uncanny x-force was my favorite comic of all time. so now ive kind of decided i would like to either hunt down an uncanny x-force panel or commission him for something (no idea how to do that)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ9BpYkn...n-by=jomeopena

also ive been creeping in this section more and more lately and seeing some just absolutely incredible items people have obtained. things i remember drooling over when i was studying them in the comic i bought - and here someone owns the original drawing the artist made themselves. a true one of a kind piece of art, replicated but never duplicated. something about it is just very sexy to me
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #20
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

That's a really cool Cable/Deadpool piece. Maybe try reaching out to him to see if you can set up a commission. I believe he is still repped by Kwan Chang so that may be an option as well to set something up.