Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > IT Department

Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
cblakey1
Cyclops

Damn.. missed the deal of the century on HP Touchpads

They reduced the prices of Touchpads this weekend to $99 for 16GB and $149. for 32GB and I thought it was a rumor or joke.

Then my buddy came in today and said he was in line at Best Buy on Saturday and an employee came out with a stack of 32s and he nabbed one. Then the employee said he has 16s as well and my buddy nabbed one of those as well.

Anyway.. he ran home and threw 'em on the 'BaY and got $230 and $260 for them.

Did anyone get one?

I'm trying CDW and MAC Connection to get one and their sites crash now because there's such a run on these. It's the number one selling item on Amazon right now.

I have an iPAD2 and I think it's a POS. I think $149.00 is the right price to take a chance on any other tablet even if it ----s the bed in the first month of use.

I can't believe I missed this deal.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
ratchet
Mandarin

Wow - I had no idea that this deal was going on...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
dr_teng

I grabbed one and so did most of my pals that were interested. If you haven't got one yet, don't worry about it too much, there's going to be more stock at other stores. They had hundreds of thousands of these that weren't sold, that's why they were discontinued.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Wow - I had no idea that this deal was going on...
Yeah, well since HP is getting out of the PC business they gave all the retailers the go-ahead to dump their inventory.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
I grabbed one and so did most of my pals that were interested. If you haven't got one yet, don't worry about it too much, there's going to be more stock at other stores. They had hundreds of thousands of these that weren't sold, that's why they were discontinued.
Wonder if I could get on a list somewhere?

So what do you and your pals think aboot it?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
dr_teng

Haha, well mine hasn't arrived yet, it's still in the shipping process. Everyone else I knew went in with pretty low expectations (one wanted it for comics/image viewing, one wanted it for media viewing on the go, can't remember what the other one wanted it for), so far they seem to be happy.

Although it's hard to go wrong with it for $100/$150, the OS is pretty polished and it's good hardware. I'm just hoping they release a Netflix app or someone hacks Android onto it.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Although it's pretty hard to go wrong with it for $100/$150, the OS is pretty polished and it's good hardware. I'm just hoping they release a Netflix app or someone hacks Android onto it.
Exactly. Hard to go wrong.

Can't you just view Netflix through the browser? I've never tried to stream online. You think you'd like Android over WebOS before ever trying it? Man, I loved my Palm back in the day.

Like I said, I am unimpressed with the iPAD and feel like a foll for jumping in and paying 6 hunge for it without exploring the options.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
dr_teng

I've heard that viewing Netflix through the browser has some issues on the Touchpad. I like WebOS, I've messed around with it a bit before, but if app support completely dies (it might not due to the massive sales) then Android might be the better option. We'll see!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

I missed it!!! I even called places to try and see if anyone had any...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
I've heard that viewing Netflix through the browser has some issues on the Touchpad. I like WebOS, I've messed around with it a bit before, but if app support completely dies (it might not due to the massive sales) then Android might be the better option. We'll see!
I'm not sure, but the HP PC division might be up for sale. Wish Google or a company with clout would buy it.

Also, they probably have to honor warranties/support for a few years to come (I say as I'm banging away on a HP G60).