Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #871
Canadaguy705
Sailor Moon

Change the head and the left arm and you're good to go.

Should be easy to do with the resources SS has.

It's not like we're re-designing the Space Shuttle here.
Canadaguy705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #872
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
I can understand the disappointment about the statue as it stands because I share it. I don't consider the portrait horrible, just not how I picture the character. I also don't think the tweak on the hand position is enough. I am also somewhat underwhelmed by the base, but that is the least of the issues. Supergirl is a major character in the DC pantheon who has been around for decades, so it is a letdown that after the announcement and anticipation this is what they came up with. I hope Sideshow makes some more improvements, but with no real competition in sight, I think they are figuring that it will sell out regardless. So from their standpoint they may not feel it's in their interest to spend a few thousand more dollars to try to please collectors who seem to complain about everything. Hopefully portrait #2 is more than a change-o hair. If that turns out nice, most folks will be happy and there will be a rush to pick up the exclusives.
Wells said my man.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #873
doeboy
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Oh, please, don't preach at me. I'm perfectly "used to the idea that there is no right or wrong with subjectivity" and I do "respect other people's opinions", just as long as they're reasoned or at least don't make one come across like a rude spoiled brat. When I said uncalled-for comments I meant just that. Comments like these:

You (generic you) don't like the sculpt? Fine. Just don't be a jerk about it.
It's being brutally honest. When SS expects customers to fork over $400-600 on a statue we expect our money's worth. This isn't the place for political correctness. The message should be loud and clear. Being a jerk would be where we say whoever designed this sculpture sucks balls and should never work again or my turd looks better. Saying a sculpt is hideous and god awful is succinct and to the point. It is ugly. If SS goes ahead and ignores their critics then they do so at their own expense and risk nobody buying it just like the Christopher Reeves statue which had problems selling even though it was limited to 500. There are multiple problems with this statue. The base looks like one giant black turd. She should be floating in white clouds not against a dark rock. The base should be a Superman logo. Even a simple clear acrylic like Gentle Giant is better. The pose with the arm is also awkward. A more dynamic pose which conveys the strength and sexiness of Supergirl should have been chosen rather than her saluting with the wrong hand. The one done by Moonlyte Studios was the best pose and looked like it came directly out of a Michael Turner Supergirl comic. Finally, the head is not attractive. Supergirl is supposed to be one of the most iconic and beautiful DC female character next to Wonder Woman and Catwoman. Nobody finds the portrait aesthetically pleasing. They should have modeled her portrait after Helen Slater or Amber Heard where both look like the classic Supergirl.
doeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #874
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Hideous and God Awful are rather harsh, but it IS their opinion.
"Rather"?

And I never said those were not opinions. Only that I don't care about such 'opinions'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoyoctopus10 View Post
Beauty is in the eye of beholder brother.
PRECISELY. Gah.

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with his comments and I happen to agree with him. It's not like he used profanity or personally attacked anyone.
Nah, he just told the sculptor to start over from scratch because the sculpt wan't good enough for him. That's really constructive.

Quote:
The headsculpt is very visually unappealing and Sideshow will definitely lose sales because of it, mine included.
It's very visually unappealing to you. You (again, generic you) don't like it? Ask for some modifications in a non-jerky way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy View Post
It's being brutally honest.
No, it's being brutally rude. You can say the same thing in other words.

Quote:
When SS expects customers to fork over $400-600 on a statue we expect our money's worth. This isn't the place for political correctness.
What's "political correctness" got to do with this? It's called courtesy. You can say a sculpt displeases you in a more polite manner, even plainly say you're not going to buy this product if you want to push for changes. Sure, you can go ahead and be rude as well if you think that will drive the message home more efficiently, but I'd like to see how many people would openly say that to the sculptor in person.

Quote:
The message should be loud and clear. Being a jerk would be where we say whoever designed this sculpture sucks balls and should never work again or my turd looks better. Saying a sculpt is hideous and god awful is succinct and to the point.
And unnecessarily rude.

Quote:
It is ugly. [...] Finally, the head is not attractive. [...] Nobody finds the portrait aesthetically pleasing.
Says you. See? Opinions are wonderful!

Quote:
If SS goes ahead and ignores their critics then they do so at their own expense and risk nobody buying it just like the Christopher Reeves statue
So be it. It's their business. I didn't like that statue at all. I was hugely disappointed, but I never was so openly rude.

I'll say it again, it's a matter of manners, guys. This is not Sideshow whiteknighting on my part, because I've scratched my head at their decisions many, many times. I just don't like people being... rude. I guess it's just my upbringing.

Anyway, no more from me on this. This just came up when someone wondered if he was the only one liking the sculpt (gee, such people exist?) and I said he wasn't and that I shaked my head at certain uncalled-for comments, and then someone else was "curious about it" but couldn't wait for an answer before proceeding to give me an —ironically— uncalled-for lecture.

- But Shoo, isn't that what you have just done?

- Bah, get off my lawn.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #875
decoyoctopus10
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
sidenote: since your username is decoyoctopus, i imagine you've played the disappointment that is MGS5
I don't wanna talk about it. I was hyped until I beat it. Then I took my rose colored glasses off and became horribly disappointed by the whole thing.
decoyoctopus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #876
decoyoctopus10
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
And I never said those were not opinions. Only that I don't care about such 'opinions'.

Nah, he just told the sculptor to start over from scratch because the sculpt wan't good enough for him. That's really constructive.

It's very visually unappealing to you. You (again, generic you) don't like it? Ask for some modifications in a non-jerky way.

No, it's being brutally rude. You can say the same thing in other words.

What's "political correctness" got to do with this? It's called courtesy. You can say a sculpt displeases you in a more polite manner, even plainly say you're not going to buy this product if you want to push for changes. Sure, you can go ahead and be rude as well if you think that will drive the message home more efficiently, but I'd like to see how many people would openly say that to the sculptor in person.

I'll say it again, it's a matter of manners, guys. This is not Sideshow whiteknighting on my part, because I've scratched my head at their decisions many, many times. I just don't like people being... rude. I guess it's just my upbringing.
There's so much wrong with everything you're saying. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion when talking hundreds of dollars for a luxury product. If you don't care for their 'opinion' it's most likely because yours differs in some way.

See:Tolerance

Starting over on the face/head sculpt would not be a bad a idea as it seems to be poorly received by the majority of people who aren't blindly happy with every piece sideshow puts out. If they improve it, I'm sure sales will reflect it.

How is "visually unappealing," a jerky thing to say? If I said "Damn, this is one ratchet-ass -----," then you can say I'm being a jerk. Also, not sure why you feel the need to call everyone who has a dissenting opinion from you "generic." It makes you look like a child.

It looks like negative comments about an inanimate object really personally offend you. I'm sure that's not anyone's intention to hurt your feelings when talking about a Supergirl statue that is aesthetically well below everyone's exceptions in the facial region.

Also when talking manners, it's not polite to backhandedly call/imply everyone who expressed their opinion, in your eyes 'rudely,' on this statue "rude because they weren't brought up like you."
decoyoctopus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #877
Shoo
Hercules

Oh, my. It all went above your head.

Quote:
There's so much wrong with everything you're saying. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion when talking hundreds of dollars for a luxury product.
Yeah, because Sideshow points a gun to your head so that you buy their luxury product. Speaking of entitlement, that doesn't entitle anyone to be rude. Like I already said, but you seem to miss, I'm all for people voicing their opinions, whether negative or positive. I couldn't care less about that. It's how they do that that I roll my eyes at. (And just that. Not that I go around chasing after everyone who's rude on the forum or anything, this all just went out of hand for reasons already explained.)

Quote:
If you don't care for their 'opinion' it's most likely because yours differs in some way.
Nope. See above. It's about the third time I said so.

Quote:
Funny, tolerance and respect is what I've been talking about all the time.

Quote:
Starting over on the face/head sculpt would not be a bad a idea as it seems to be poorly received by the majority of people who aren't blindly happy with every piece sideshow puts out. If they improve it, I'm sure sales will reflect it.
Again, like I said —do you really read the posts?— I'm far from blindly happy with every piece SSc puts out. And I say "I" because that's what you seem to be implying. But you're missing the point again. You can make it clear you don't like a product and still put it in an elegant way.

Quote:
How is "visually unappealing," a jerky thing to say? If I said "Damn, this is one ratchet-ass -----," then you can say I'm being a jerk. Also, not sure why you feel the need to call everyone who has a dissenting opinion from you "generic." It makes you look like a child.
... You really don't know what "generic you" means, do you? Here, I'll help you out - I wasn't talking about you there, decoyoctopus10. Feeling better now?

Quote:
It looks like negative comments about an inanimate object really personally offend you.
Oh, my. (II) Yeah, I'm an adamant defender of inanimate objects' rights, lol.

Quote:
I'm sure that's not anyone's intention to hurt your feelings when talking about a Supergirl statue that is aesthetically well below everyone's exceptions in the facial region.
Oh, but everyone did. Everyone hurt my poor feelings.

And by "everyone's exceptions" I take it you meant "everyone's expectations". Once again, you're speaking on behalf of everyone. 'Tolerance' to dissent and all that.

Quote:
Also when talking manners, it's not polite to backhandedly call/imply everyone who expressed their opinion, in your eyes 'rudely,' on this statue "rude because they weren't brought up like you."
Er, was I really backhanded? I thought I was very clear on that.

Thanks for the laugh, decoyoctopus10, but I said that was it from me and now it's final. Let's all keep discussing this... peculiar head sculpt.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #878
StatueBandit
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

I was not going to order the Supergirl PF based on what I saw from the 2015 S.D.C.C. pics that where posted. However I saw 1st hand pics of her at this years 2015 N.Y.C.C and had a change of heart. I like what Sideshow his done so far when they tweaked her and will most likely be ordering her to add to the other kryptonian family members.
StatueBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #879
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Exclamation Moderator warning

You guys need to cool it. I didn't read everything because quite frankly it was giving me a headache.

Our more tenured members who weighed in were on point in reinforcing that if you have a critique it has to be RESPECTFUL to the creator and CONSTRUCTIVE as in offering specific advice or observations. If uou are debating a point make yours and move on. Period.

A lot of what I did read was outside of how we do business here and will be addressed accordingly if it persists.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #880
COI

Quote:
There's so much wrong with everything you're saying. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion when talking hundreds of dollars for a luxury product. If you don't care for their 'opinion' it's most likely because yours differs in some way.

See:Tolerance

It looks like negative comments about an inanimate object really personally offend you. I'm sure that's not anyone's intention to hurt your feelings when talking about a Supergirl statue that is aesthetically well below everyone's exceptions in the facial region.

This isn't about misplaced emotion or triviality over inanimate objects; it's about the climate of this place, in the context of a small niche hobby. There aren't many places to go to discuss these things, and different people have different tolerances when it comes to hyperbole, particularly, negative hyperbole.

Also, while these are 'just statues', they are also the work of artists who read these boards. There is a spectrum when it comes to criticism, which ranges from overly apologetic, to constructive, to insulting, and the further comments rest on either side of this spectrum (overly apologetic or insulting) the more people will object. I don't want to speak for Shoo because he does a great job of expressing himself, but it seems like he's simply calling for people to temper their criticisms to fall closer to the center of the spectrum, especially in light of the fact that this is a piece that still hasn't gone up for pre-order, and has clearly undergone some tweaks (the salute). As far as customer entitlement and not finding the piece up to par goes, I'd think that reasoned criticism minus the hyperbole might have a better chance of influencing change, so for those who really are disappointed with what they see, it really would be in their best interests to express their dissatisfaction with a little more tact.

In other words, +1 to everything Shoo said.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote