Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 AM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Honestly, I think many Bowen collectors (myself included) will try to fill in holes and most likely it's going to cost to do it. IMO, the more popular ones will go up (Doc Ock, Mr Sinister, Black Panther, Jean Grey, among others). Bowen collectors, again IMO, are a loyal lot and most won't give up what they have unless 1) they have medical bills 2) getting up in age and kids aren't interested in collecting 3) downsizing homes and need to downsize collections.

I've thought of that. I have no intention of selling my stuff now but when I get into my 70's (assuming my health is holding) I may end up unloading some. We have a pretty good size home for just me and Mrs Hobbit. It's hard to say what I will do but it has started crossing my mind.
Ditto on many fronts, Keith. As you've seen, we have a 5k sq foot house for just the two of us now, my statutes are beautifully displayed across an enormous basement and in my office. But there's a good chance we'll be downsizing soon and I just don't know what I'll be keeping or not when that time comes.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:31 AM   #12
dugabrams
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Down, Down, Down, I have been thinking this all along. Not having fresh products to keep interest will definitely take it's toll on aftermarket values. Other companies will put out new, cool stuff and it can't really go any other direction. Some great/rare statues will go up, but they were under appreciated in the first place. I don't foresee a big crash like Hard Hero though, because BD's won't be replaced as easily and their awesome statue diversity
dugabrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #13
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I'd imagine that characters from incomplete teams will drop. Why would you want a Groot bust knowing that the rest of the team aren't coming?
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #14
chunkster702
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

The value of these pieces will go UP.

I think this because of Bowens quality paints and sculpts and keeping the characters true to their comic book designs.

They've made many timeless pieces like Doc Ock, Black Cat, Sunfire, Jean Grey, classic Punisher and both Ghost Rider museum pieces.

Bowen is KING of the 1/6, 1/7 scale.

Now that Rockys Vault is closed, getting these for low prices are gone now..
chunkster702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #15
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

I pretty much have all the Bowens I want. There may be a couple I swing around to pick up for conversions, but I'm on the fence as to how much longer I want to keep Bowen- and 1:6-scale. But I've got a lot invested, plus some cool customs. And there are still lots of characters you won't find anywhere else as well as some of the best designs and sculpts. Anyway of course I hope they go up in value. That way if I ever do decide to sell the collection in favor of 1:4 I'll make more.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #16
risingstar
Jedi Order

I think the smaller scale, classic interpretations, and low price will always be attractive to some collectors. As for the prices going up, perhaps. However, like most things, there is a heyday and there is a more realistic bottom line, which is where I think most Bowen pieces are now. Speaking for myself, I had a much easier time selling off my Bowen product five to ten years ago. Nowadays, it could take me months to sell a statue at half of what I could have been able to just a few short years ago. There's also something to be said about all the revisits, many of which are improvements on the older ones. Alas, as many new fans do not appear to have as much of a comics background as some older folks, they may not be as inclined to chase after as many of these classic era statues -- or they already have it.

The Bowen catalogue was ideal for fans (though not exclusive to) reading comics from the 60s to the 90s. Nowadays, we see far more artistic license, costume designs which never existed in the comics, and characters who no longer look like the Bowen classic interpretation. There's far much more scrutiny on quality and detail as well. There's also lots more competition, and a lot of it is amazing. It's a different buying base too. Incidentally, you would be amazed at how many collectors have no idea who Jack Kirby is, yet they know everything there is to know about Street Fighter. Again, this isn't to say one is more a real fan than the other. I'm not sure how Bowen fits in line with the modern age of XM and Sideshow fans who appear to have different priorities (not better or worse, just different). I think many have moved on, which is okay.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
xforce
Hydra

I have wondered the same thing. Its tough because if you want Giant man, goliath, yellowjacket, captain marvel 1970 bowen is the only one who made them

But people seem to prefer bigger and better. I like the 1/6 big enough to look good small enough to display.

I think some go up, some go down
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #18
blackjack
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Honestly, I think many Bowen collectors (myself included) will try to fill in holes and most likely it's going to cost to do it. IMO, the more popular ones will go up (Doc Ock, Mr Sinister, Black Panther, Jean Grey, among others). Bowen collectors, again IMO, are a loyal lot and most won't give up what they have unless 1) they have medical bills 2) getting up in age and kids aren't interested in collecting 3) downsizing homes and need to downsize collections.

I've thought of that. I have no intention of selling my stuff now but when I get into my 70's (assuming my health is holding) I may end up unloading some. We have a pretty good size home for just me and Mrs Hobbit. It's hard to say what I will do but it has started crossing my mind.
I agree 100%. I feel the same way.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #19
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

There's a part of me that felt like as long as the vault was open, BD was still a reality. With this closing, it's now a reality. They are done. Tragic yet somehow a fitting end to something great. For all great things must end.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #20
qz33
Rescue

Soon the sales of Bowens will be exclusive to eBay. As many owners move to the next phase of their lives their collections will become a casuality. Without a source of active advertising many pieces will have to be actively sought after. Many Bowens' ES are in the thousands.

I believe the largest interest in Bowens right now are those seeking figures at both a reasonable and affordable cost. I have several but there is no way I would have bought hardly any if they were $250+ a piece. I see Bowens as nice deluxe toys worth $175 or less. Collectors with a reach able to realize their long term mentality like nbr3bagshotrow and some others here are the minority but I'm sure the recent explosion in popularity of statues have helped many more find permanent homes. Make no mistake the Vault was a great advertising venue for all sellers of Bowens even if they cut into their prices.

Part of Bowen's appeal in light of the current scene is the opportunity of quantity and lesser towards quality. XM makes some fine stuff but how many people can sustain spending $1,000 a piece for a collection 50 deep? Current personal sales indicate the reality for that trend despite stated claims.

The rare and best will have higher prices and timing will, as always be everything, but overall I imagine prices will drop.

Some of Bowen's best and most loved pieces were done by many other artists in the industry. If a new player were to begin 1/6 production in a similar style it could be a extend the popularity much longer.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote