Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 11-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #21
Warpath
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
There's a part of me that felt like as long as the vault was open, BD was still a reality. With this closing, it's now a reality. They are done. Tragic yet somehow a fitting end to something great. For all great things must end.
I suspect that the closing of the Vault is the first step toward Bowen Designs coming back. The Vault in its most current incarnation seemed to be a way to liquify assets to better facilitate a split of said assets between Rocky and Randy.

Now that it is closed, the assets of the company seemingly divided, Randy can start fresh. Given his history, it would seem the most likely scenario is for him to pursue a contract with Disney once again.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:02 PM   #22
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath View Post
I suspect that the closing of the Vault is the first step toward Bowen Designs coming back. The Vault in its most current incarnation seemed to be a way to liquify assets to better facilitate a split of said assets between Rocky and Randy.

Now that it is closed, the assets of the company seemingly divided, Randy can start fresh. Given his history, it would seem the most likely scenario is for him to pursue a contract with Disney once again.
I hope you're right.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:21 AM   #23
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
There's a part of me that felt like as long as the vault was open, BD was still a reality. With this closing, it's now a reality. They are done. Tragic yet somehow a fitting end to something great. For all great things must end.
Indeed, we knew this day would come. Glad I got want i wanted before the end. I know the majority of my Bowen's will stand the test of time.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #24
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Indeed, we knew this day would come. Glad I got want i wanted before the end. I know the majority of my Bowen's will stand the test of time.
Agreed. I'm glad I was never a completist and only collected what I liked. I'm pretty happy with my pieces, though there are a few regrets I'm sorry I never collected
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #25
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

As I've said before, I came into this hobby right as the Bowen Mojo was released... so seemingly after Bowen was done. Which has allowed me to track down some great pieces, but kind of crappy I'm not around for new releases, WIP pics, POs etc. I agree with the majority though, I think some statues will increase in value, others will not. And then maybe as certain movies get released there will be a temporary surge in popularity i.e. Apocalypse with the next X-men or Silver Surfer in the next Fantastic Four movie by Disney that I'm trying to will into existence.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #26
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
As I've said before, I came into this hobby right as the Bowen Mojo was released... so seemingly after Bowen was done. Which has allowed me to track down some great pieces, but kind of crappy I'm not around for new releases, WIP pics, POs etc. I agree with the majority though, I think some statues will increase in value, others will not. And then maybe as certain movies get released there will be a temporary surge in popularity i.e. Apocalypse with the next X-men or Silver Surfer in the next Fantastic Four movie by Disney that I'm trying to will into existence.
Well will HARDER.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #27
ambasah
Red Skull

one word: attakus
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #28
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I think the smaller scale, classic interpretations, and low price will always be attractive to some collectors. As for the prices going up, perhaps. However, like most things, there is a heyday and there is a more realistic bottom line, which is where I think most Bowen pieces are now. Speaking for myself, I had a much easier time selling off my Bowen product five to ten years ago. Nowadays, it could take me months to sell a statue at half of what I could have been able to just a few short years ago. There's also something to be said about all the revisits, many of which are improvements on the older ones. Alas, as many new fans do not appear to have as much of a comics background as some older folks, they may not be as inclined to chase after as many of these classic era statues -- or they already have it.

The Bowen catalogue was ideal for fans (though not exclusive to) reading comics from the 60s to the 90s. Nowadays, we see far more artistic license, costume designs which never existed in the comics, and characters who no longer look like the Bowen classic interpretation. There's far much more scrutiny on quality and detail as well. There's also lots more competition, and a lot of it is amazing. It's a different buying base too. Incidentally, you would be amazed at how many collectors have no idea who Jack Kirby is, yet they know everything there is to know about Street Fighter. Again, this isn't to say one is more a real fan than the other. I'm not sure how Bowen fits in line with the modern age of XM and Sideshow fans who appear to have different priorities (not better or worse, just different). I think many have moved on, which is okay.
VERY, very well said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Some of Bowen's best and most loved pieces were done by many other artists in the industry. If a new player were to begin 1/6 production in a similar style it could be a extend the popularity much longer.
Agreed.
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #29
SuperJ300
Zot

I think the value will go up in a couple of years.

The quality is so great, it will stand out amongst the other companies out there that have QC issues.
SuperJ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #30
Mammal
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Some of Bowen's best and most loved pieces were done by many other artists in the industry. If a new player were to begin 1/6 production in a similar style it could be a extend the popularity much longer.
I've been thinking about this quite a bit. Some of my favorite Bowen statues were by the Kucharek Brothers. There was a theory going around that they were really Randy, or Randy and a collaborator. That was heavily refuted by people, but it seems strange that (unless I've missed it) we've seen zero output by them during Bowen's absence.
Mammal is offline   Reply With Quote