Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 02-07-2023, 04:10 AM   #191
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
enabler enables.

In my mind, and being brutally honest with myself, I think the very act of mass production excludes a product from being Art.

That's not to say there's an absence of art in the inception of the product! It's the product itself which is not (imo) - Art.

Maybe the easiest way to explain my thoughts. Let's agree, for this example, that the Mona Lisa is an Art piece. Now, if someone does a print run of 1000 copies - I wouldn't consider any of those prints as Art, even though they are copies of the original art piece.

Of course, as always, it's just my opinion....not trying to change anyone else's mind, or degrade anyone else's regard for their collection.
Out of the many collectors who post here, you’re one of the very few who specifically mention art.

To me, art are those pieces in museums that I don’t care much for, except for the history and/or dollar signs attached to each piece.

I’ve personally never thought of these as an art piece. They’re just representations of media that I enjoy. Heck, even if I were to spend $15-50K on a single custom piece, I still wouldn’t consider it an art piece (even though I know it takes an artist to create). I first became a fanatic of such media, not with the 80/90 movies which I enjoyed, but with the X-Men animated series in the 90’s and I haven’t stopped ever since.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:28 AM   #192
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Out of the many collectors who post here, you?re one of the very few who specifically mention art.

To me, art are those pieces in museums that I don?t care much for, except for the history and/or dollar signs attached to each piece.

I?ve personally never thought of these as an art piece. They?re just representations of media that I enjoy. Heck, even if I were to spend $15-50K on a single custom piece, I still wouldn?t consider it an art piece (even though I know it takes an artist to create). I first became a fanatic of such media, not with the 80/90 movies which I enjoyed, but with the X-Men animated series in the 90?s and I haven?t stopped ever since.
Interesting perspective.

If that's your qualification for Art, that's ok, but I don't see it that way, at all. I'm not saying you're "wrong" - and I'm not belittling that perspective - I simply don't share it.

That said - as I mentioned before (maybe you didn't read it) - I'm questioning my past assertions that these mass produced statues / busts qualify as Art. I'm finding myself more aligned to your second point about these things being "representations of media that I enjoy"

Could a custom piece / one of a kind piece - be considered Art. In my opinion, it depends on the subject matter and even more so, on the intent behind it's creation. If I commissioned an artist to build me a Spider-Man figure - I wouldn't consider it as an Art piece (personal opinion) - if the Artist spontaneously created something original, and it was not intended to be the basis for reproduction.....this would be Art, in my opinion.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:14 AM   #193
Mozziarty
Frackin!

Mine arrived!

Great bust, but too much hair spray on it, hard to style carefully.

Mozziarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:39 PM   #194
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

These ARE art pieces, whether mass produced or not.
Art is not just one of a kind pieces.
When you get a copy of a Mona Lisa and hang that on your wall, do you not call that art since its a reproduction?
Why do they refer to the sculptors who make statues like Kojun, So Young Lee, as ARTISTS?
ARTISTS create...art.

Art is not just oil painting in a museum. It can be whatever medium an artist choose to create art.

EX, JND didnt start hyperreal statues, they were inspired by hyperreal statues in museums.
So they chose to do the same ART direction to create pieces using popular characters.

Not calling these art, is like the same thing some people dont consider comic book artists, as ARTISTS.
Cause they only think the sketches by Michael Angelo that hang in a museum is art, and is not the same as art as a sketch by a popular artist. Its the same.
Only difference is one was pioneer that died many years ago, and that inspired many artists since then.
There are many comicbook artists that has a background in art schools and was inspired by drawing classical pieces.

So, a Prime 1 museum line statue is less ART than the
Banana stuck to a wall by duct tape by artist artist Maurizio Cattelan?
Well, you may be right, that banana duct tape to a wall was sold for over $100,000. lol
I personally would take the Prime 1 though.

The thing with art is that we designate a Value to it. And that value is all subjective.
There's art pieces that you and I wont be even pay a hundred dollars for it, yet someone will pay millions of dollars for it.
painter passes away, his art pieces now sell more since there will no longer be any original art.
Same thing with Edition size of statues. Edition size only 250 and now sold out, more $$$ now if you want it.
Only difference with these art pieces are the value.
The statues we buy are more readily available, therefore, its still affordable.
Until it sells out.
RemydaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:06 PM   #195
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozziarty View Post
Great bust, but too much hair spray on it, hard to style carefully.

Awesome pics and thank you for posting these! Looks great, especially the face sculpt. So that’s what is happening with the hair. It’s like hat hair because of too much product. I’m leaning towards this even more now. Hmm decisions, decisions.
Masa_yodamorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:18 PM   #196
Mozziarty
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
Awesome pics and thank you for posting these! Looks great, especially the face sculpt. So that?s what is happening with the hair. It?s like hat hair because of too much product. I?m leaning towards this even more now. Hmm decisions, decisions.
Thanks!=) For the most part, I have no complaints about hair.
But for maximum results, it is better to wash hair and invite a barber to help.
All I did was try to style hair with warm water and hands only!
Old 03-17-2023, 06:33 PM   #197
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozziarty View Post
Thanks!=) For the most part, I have no complaints about hair.
But for maximum results, it is better to wash hair and invite a barber to help.
All I did was try to style hair with warm water and hands only!
Your bust is definitely one of the best I’ve seen for this so far. Nice subtle job with the hair. If you hire a barber please post pics of the major transformation. Congrats man!
Masa_yodamorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:32 PM   #198
Mozziarty
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
Your bust is definitely one of the best I?ve seen for this so far. Nice subtle job with the hair. If you hire a barber please post pics of the major transformation. Congrats man!
Of course I post new photos when we done with barber!

Thanks for your kind words!=)