Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 02-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #31
dw316
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullMind View Post

As I did not trust the plastic shelf pegs-that Ikea ships with these, I was able to find on Amazon some stronger ones from Hafele (model-SKI6730), they are rated to support up to 150kg for a set of 4, so bought a few bags of them and installed them instead, highly recommend using these ones, they have no comparison to the Ikea pegs !

Here they are installed in place:

I just purchased the metal shelf pegs you suggested from eBay. Are they strong enough to hold 300lbs as advertised? I'm testing it out by putting a prime 1 statue on it but worried it may still break. Do you think getting shelf braces is a must to ensure it won't collapse?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200201134646_IMG_4335.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	128395  
dw316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #32
punisher2000
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

i think also the wood parts can break and I dont think only the pegs are the weakness in the danger of collapsing
punisher2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #33
mars
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw316 View Post
I just purchased the metal shelf pegs you suggested from eBay. Are they strong enough to hold 300lbs as advertised? I'm testing it out by putting a prime 1 statue on it but worried it may still break. Do you think getting shelf braces is a must to ensure it won't collapse?
As the old saying goes "It's only as strong as the weakest link" The weakest part will give way first.

Your item might be rated to support up to 150 kilos or 300lbs but if the walls that you're putting it into are weak it will break around the holes. Also if it's weak particle board and your sides are not secured it may expand out then it will just collapse down, but if you've got solid walls and the material is also solid well then you will get your 150 kilos or 300lbs as rated.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #34
dw316
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
As the old saying goes "It's only as strong as the weakest link" The weakest part will give way first.

Your item might be rated to support up to 150 kilos or 300lbs but if the walls that you're putting it into are weak it will break around the holes. Also if it's weak particle board and your sides are not secured it may expand out then it will just collapse down, but if you've got solid walls and the material is also solid well then you will get your 150 kilos or 300lbs as rated.
The shelf and the unit is all PAX. I just switched out their plastic pegs with the metal ones suggested here, and the original poster said they support up to 150kg (~340lbs). I'm not sure if that is what you mean by the walls, I'm not very familiar with a lot of the terminology, but the shelf I have him in is the largest PAX unit. In a video that has disappeared now, CartelfromHell suggested using 4 shelf braces? (small L-shaped support beam) to help support the shelves, I wanted to see if those were necessary to support a Prime 1 statues in a PAX. It would probably be required to support 2 statues?
Old 02-02-2020, 01:32 AM   #35
mars
The Spirit

Quote:
The shelf and the unit is all PAX. I just switched out their plastic pegs with the metal ones suggested here, and the original poster said they support up to 150kg (~340lbs). I'm not sure if that is what you mean by the walls, I'm not very familiar with a lot of the terminology, but the shelf I have him in is the largest PAX unit. In a video that has disappeared now, CartelfromHell suggested using 4 shelf braces? (small L-shaped support beam) to help support the shelves, I wanted to see if those were necessary to support a Prime 1 statues in a PAX. It would probably be required to support 2 statues?

My post that I put above is not in relation to just IKEA units it's regarding to swapping over the existing lower quality support pegs with stronger ones. That you were concerned about if it would do the job, that is support two heavy statues!

With the side walls that I mentioned, that would be the sides of your cabinet or cabinet carcass as it is called as well. The way I look at it, with this IKEA PAX that you're referring to. If originally it had lower quality support pegs, then chances are the material that they've used would also be of low quality in other words suitable for the general purpose that they sell them for, NOT heavy statues

IMO IKEA have not designed their cabinets to support heavy statues so the material would only be suitable for lighter items.

If you go an upgrade too heavy-duty pegs and not reinforce the structure, chances are that something sooner or later MAY give way and come crashing down. There are different grades of particle board plus MDF, OSB and so on. So, IMO I don't feel that IKEA is using the best that is out there since it was never designed to hold extra heavy items, keep in mind this is a mass-produced item.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #36
Patriot666
Birdman

Check out Ikea Variera cover caps for white Pax's. They take forever to install but after all the extra shelf holes are plugged they disappear from view. Here you can see some holes plugged and others not.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/variera...hite-00226315/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ikea plugs.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	128401  
Patriot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #37
Patriot666
Birdman

I also used #6 screws and washers for the back panel with these steel Ikea Observator cross braces. Now the cabinet cannot bow outwards over time. Solid as a rock! All my pics upload sideways or upside down! Sorry.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/observa...ized-87749600/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ikea Pack Reinforcement.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	128402  
Old 02-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #38
dw316
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
My post that I put above is not in relation to just IKEA units it's regarding to swapping over the existing lower quality support pegs with stronger ones. That you were concerned about if it would do the job, that is support two heavy statues!

With the side walls that I mentioned, that would be the sides of your cabinet or cabinet carcass as it is called as well. The way I look at it, with this IKEA PAX that you're referring to. If originally it had lower quality support pegs, then chances are the material that they've used would also be of low quality in other words suitable for the general purpose that they sell them for, NOT heavy statues

IMO IKEA have not designed their cabinets to support heavy statues so the material would only be suitable for lighter items.

If you go an upgrade too heavy-duty pegs and not reinforce the structure, chances are that something sooner or later MAY give way and come crashing down. There are different grades of particle board plus MDF, OSB and so on. So, IMO I don't feel that IKEA is using the best that is out there since it was never designed to hold extra heavy items, keep in mind this is a mass-produced item.
I see, thanks for the explanation. So that's why the OP has that support beam below the shelf, to hold the walls together for more support?
Old 02-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #39
dw316
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
I also used #6 screws and washers for the back panel with these steel Ikea Observator cross braces. Now the cabinet cannot bow outwards over time. Solid as a rock! All my pics upload sideways or upside down! Sorry.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/observa...ized-87749600/
Thanks for this. Does this also act like the support beam the OP used below the shelf to support the walls? How do you install these? Do they come with instructions? (Sorry, very new to DIY, trying to learn as I go along)
Old 02-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #40
Patriot666
Birdman

Quote:
Thanks for this. Does this also act like the support beam the OP used below the shelf to support the walls? How do you install these? Do they come with instructions? (Sorry, very new to DIY, trying to learn as I go along)
No it prevents the sides from bowing outward, which I've seen happen over years of displaying heavy statues in a Pax. The Observator cross braces aren't meant to be used with a Pax, but they work perfectly. Just screw them in the back along the edges of the cabinet. I use rubbermaid twin track uprights made for hanging wall shelves also. I slip a 25" track over the back of my 30" shelves and they don't bow at all. Great info here from the OP...thanks for posting this thread! Just got back from Ikea and will be building another cabinet today/tomorrow.