Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #101
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM28Cardiff View Post
PS3 has apparently been one of the most successful console launches ever in the UK, based on sales figures. It hasnt sold out because there were quite a lot available in the first place (compared to 360 and Wii launches). Makes me think there will be less pressure on Sony to cut the price, at least in the UK, though if they cut it overseas it would be hard to justify not cutting it here.
You would hope so. Over here there are a number of different retailers offering different bundles depending on your use of the player. I'm hoping it comes down a hundred euro between now and the summer and I'll buy the BR bundle.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #102
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
And why not? Because the $1200 player is $700 more than the $500 player it is automatically better? It sure as hell isn't worth $700 more but if you want to convince yourself it is and throw away $700 I guess you will. The Toshibas are fantastic players, I own two. Your blind support for a format that has yet to prove itself superior and probably never will is, well, puzzling. The sad part is that if it does win the format war it will do so for all the wrong reasons.
Very true Zurby. Sony makes ZERO sense. All they do is pat themselves on the back about how superior BR technology is and how important and awesome the storage space on the disks are. Meanwhile so far the extras on most of the DVD’s are either non-existent or terrible. MI3 is 2 F’n disks???? Why wouldn’t it all be on 1 disk then? HD-DVD had a strong year last year and I read their projected numbers for this year will be even better. Little by little these studios that back BR exclusively will start backing both. They won’t be able to ignore that HD-DVD money they could be making. I could understand if the HD camp wasn’t selling players and DVD sales were horrible but that’s not the case. If you take away the PS3’s HD-DVD is smashing them in stand alone player sales and even if you count all those PS3’s BR only has a lousy 2 -1 lead in DVD sales. I still can’t believe that Sony still has these studios fooled with all this BS talk and the dreaded “PS3” master plan. Once studios start supporting both formats BR will be exposed and HD-DVD will rise to the top.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #103
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I hardly think i am a blind supporter of either format but you sure have nailed your colours to the HD-DVD camp and from the begining because of your perceived views of Sony and Blu-Ray.
Sorry Bulls, but you're wrong here. I am a supporter of HD-DVD because they have proven to ME that they've got what it takes. It has ZERO to do with "perceived" views of Sony and Blu-ray. It's mostly because I have been watching HD DVD movies for over a year now and the technology is every bit as good as Blu-ray as far as I am concerned. Have you checked out the In Movie feature of HD-DVD. At this point Blu-ray can't touch that. I guess you ahven't read my other posts where I said I actually love my PS3. I'm quite happy with it and in fact have been picking up a few Blu-ray DVDs here and there. My big problem, which you seem to overlook is that Sony has been less than truthful in waging the format war and I would hate to see it win because of this. I've made my choices based on what I have actually experienced not on what some guy who may be in Sony's pocket (or even Toshiba's) is saying.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #104
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Thats fair enough Z but there are more companies besides Sony producing Blu Ray equipment. I have found Pioneer to be one of the best if not the best for mass produced DVD players. I am positive their BR player will be the benchmark for all players when it is eventually rolled out over here. I appreciate everything you say about Sony Inc. Believe me i was not happy to hear that we Europeans (2nd biggest market after the US) have had to wait until 24th March 2007 to get our hands on the PS3. At least you were able to get one before Christmas. There was a hell of a alot of disappointed gamers here before Christmas i can tell you.

Maybe I am wrong but i view BR as not only a Sony product but as a general product which the likes of Pioneer, Panasonic etc have decided to produce. I trust that Pioneer is not stupid enough to back a "donkey" technology.

With regard to Sony telling lies that maybe the case but but the HD-DVD camp were up to tricks too so both sides cannot say they are sqeeky clean.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #105
dodiduck
A day without sunshine is like... night.

i'd brought my Sony DVD player since it's lanuched 6 years ago,almost£499 in that time..but it's worth to now..everything seem fine.Now BD and HD-dvd are coming and i seems likes both technology so i made my dicission brought my PS3 last weekend after set up and plug in with my Sony amp ES that i brought with my Sony dvd to enjoyed 5.1 and DTS sound output with PS3 games likes Resistance and Call of duty 3 for 6 hours then back to the menu loaded some Demo game from PS3 site ..wow awesome with quality of graphics,sounds with my 42" plasma with BD ..time to play ..unfortunatelly PS3 not have any onlines games available yet.Sony'll be run after Xbox360 and Wii..hopefully...soon. .

I seems don't mind who'll win this format wars..whoever wins..then we looses..money..of course hahaha
dodiduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #106
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Well so much for waiting for a price drop, I cracked and bought a PS3 after seeing it round my mates house (I did get a 10% discount though). I have Motorstorm, Virtua Fighter 5 and Resistance. I own a 360 too, but my opinion is that graphically, some of these launch titles on the PS3 already outclass the 360.

Ive flicked between 720p (which is closest to my TV's resolution) and 1080i (which is downscaled on my tv) and I cant really tell the difference between the two.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote