Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-15-2006, 12:37 AM   #1
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Marvel subscription question

I'm curious: Do most people here have subscriptions through their LCS, directly through Marvel or through some other outlet? All of my subscriptions are directly through Marvel and all too frequently they arrive a week or so after I see the issue in my LCS. This is frustrating! I received my latest "Spider-Girl" issue last week when it was released, but I have yet to receive my latest "New X-Men," which was also released last week. My "Astonishing X-Men" issues also arrive late too frequently.

Is getting a box at my LCS the better way to go? Any suggestions?
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
whd
Suicide Squad

If you can find a decent LCS, I'd highly recommend getting a hold file there. Most shops offer discount incentives based on the number of titles in your subscription. I actually look forward to my weekly sojourn. Eventually, you realize that you see the same faces every Wednesday and you might actually like a few of them.

Only risk is that, unlike mail order, you can be tempted to pick up something new as you wander through the store. As the habit grows, the wallet becomes empty.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

better to get them at a LCS if there is one you like.

I have been using Midtowncomics.com - 15% off, free bag/board, free shipping if $75, $8 shipping if under $75. I get my comics via UPS every Thursday.

There also are other online comic shops that offer discounts up to 40%. I tried 2 and did not like them.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

I also use MIDTOWNCOMICS and I highly recommend them.
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Though I dont collect the way I used to, I use Midtown Comics myself. When I was buying heavy, I mail ordered and got my titles every Saturday morning. They also pay attention to the quality of the book, and usually try to deliver books with tight corners and good spines. They also have helpful folks over there who are very attentive and support "the comic fan".

These days, I just go in and buy off the shelf. I dont read as often as I used to.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

get a hold slot at your LCS. I get bagged and boarded comics at 20% off and a better discount on items in diamond.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Kirbyfan
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Part of the fun of collecting is going to the LCS every week or so. It's a fun way to talk about your hobby with other like minds. And it's a good way to get suggestions or find things that you wouldn't normally see through mail order. Just be careful of the elitist geeks that run a number of shops. (see Simpsons Comic Book Guy). I've been going for years to my place and don't even have a subscription but still get a 10% discount on everything just out of friendship and loyalty.
Kirbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
Fannymac
I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

Plus, with SO many books running late and skipping months, I think a sub these days would be a MAJOR headache!!!!
Fannymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
Plus, with SO many books running late and skipping months, I think a sub these days would be a MAJOR headache!!!!
My Son brings my comics to me...But I have been wondering how the skipped months play into a yearly subscription deal...
'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote