Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-14-2006, 12:36 AM   #1
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

Is something wrong with me?

Well guys, I've missed two weeks of comics because I've been busy at work. And to be perfectly honest....I'm not all that motivated to go back and pick up what I've missed.....there's just too long of a delay between some titles, and honestly, after collecting LOTS of books over the years, I didn't really miss it all that much.

Maybe it's frustration over the industry with late issues, crappy story lines (face it, there's not much out there anymore that's all that enjoyable). And the thread about artists ripping each other off really got me thinking about how many other titles I've read that are really "recycled" as far as story lines go, and not just artwork either.

I used to be absolutely LIVID when I missed a week, but this time, it was different. Anyone else feel this way? I know I'm not alone....maybe it's just a rant but, whatever.
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
moon_knight1971
Rescue

No, I feel it all the time. I'm rarely satified with any of the books I read nowadays. Loss of innocence, school's over and now we work just to pay the bills. I used to be a back issue fiend but have turned those dollars towards statues and busts, whom I, weirdly enough, appreciate more than comic books most of the time. I mean, we read the books and file them away. How many of those stories do you actually remember that you want to re-read over and over again? I think live action and animated movies are the next level IMO. I think alot of writers currently writing the books really don't get the character(s). Or worse yet, maybe they do and the editors and powers that be want them to be written in a certain way.....
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

I agree. There is very little to read that is worthwhile (at least from the big two IMO). I also have given up collecting and just read what I like.

DD, Cap, Batman (Morrison's run), Detective with Paul Dini are my only must haves.

I'm really close to dropping New Avengers, and once Civil War is over I probably will. Comics are just not what they used to be and probably will not be again (see Tetra's review of the classic Avengers Annual #10).
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Sometimes I feel like that, but then I read a great book like Astonishing X-Men and I remember why I love comics again.
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

THis was one reason why I stopped collecting comics as I got older, I still ask people what they find to be a good read, but I will wait until it is released in a graphic novel or in one collection.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I agree with VM and Loco, with the excpetion of Morison's Batman with this last issue. Loved it up until this very sudden, truncated ending.

I'm also loving The Incredible Hulk and The Lone Ranger!!!!!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
Primal
Batman

Some really good books out there...

the Ultimates
Daredevil
Annihilation
Civil War
Transformers: Stormbringer
Uncanny & Astonishing X-men
Justice
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Lone Ranger is awesome!! I know we are only two issues into it, but I think it is going to be a great series. Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters as well as The Trials of Shazam have both left me pleasantly surprised. I have been disappointed with Civil War, probably due to the fact that I refuse to buy all the tie in books. Annihiliation is another good read, but aspects of it have left me wanting a little more story development. It seems a bit rushed, IMO.

I have just recently, last two or three years, gotten back into collecting comics. I feel that at this point in my life, I really don't want to collect more than 3-5 titles. I guess that is why I seem to be sticking with mini series for now. The Lone Ranger is the only ongoing title I am collecting at the moment. I guess I am holding out for a GOOD Invaders title or any Union Jack title!!!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #9
whd
Suicide Squad

I think there are plenty of good titles out there right now, but a lot of the Marvel mainstays have gone sour as of late. Just because DC did a series of big crossovers didn't mean that it was a particularly good idea for Marvel to start again. House of M and, having only read some tie-ins, Civil War seems to be more of the same.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #10
Crom
Loki

I can go weeks without picking up books. There are actually several titles out there that I like to pick up and read, but after 30 years of reading comics many feel like retreads. Which I understand. It is the same with movies. It is a rare find to come across a movie which truly impresses. When I was younger I could name off dozens of movies in a year which I desperately wanted to see or thought were great entertainment. The same happens for me with comics these days.

I think comic book readers need to understand more about their own wants and entertainment demands. I would prefer to buy statues, collected works and comic art or artwork than comics these days. It feeds my nostalgia and love of comics more than the actual pamphlets these days. And that nostalgia is never going to diminish greatly. In fact, it seems to grow.

Because of the long periods between my trips to the comic shop, when I go I usually end up spending about $60 - $100. I often ask myself would my money be better spent on one or two mini-busts or saving towards a statue?

I don't think I have outgrown comics (superhero comics, specifically). I think they are written at a mature level many times and can be extremely entertaining. I just find that entertainment much more fleeting than it was in the past. I think that is the way with all things. Even great passions have their lulls over time. Sometimes it comes back even stronger with some distance and time apart.
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote