Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #101
hulksmash
The Riddler

Superman is by far my favorite character and knowing Andy B is on the job really makes me feel even more pumped for this one. SUPER EXCITED!!!
hulksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #102
StatueHunter75
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I am so friggin glad that Andy Bergholtz is doing his piece! I loved his wonder woman PF for dc direct and can't wait to get this! Did he do the Batman PF for sideshow also? The two statues from Sideshow that I've been dying for are a Deadpool PF and a Superman PF!!!
StatueHunter75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #103
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I don't know if anyone asked Andy this question, but while I'm here, question for you Andy?

What do you think about mixed media on statues (in general)? As a sculptor, are you disappointed when some type of material is covering part of your sculpt...or do you appreciate it when all of the parts (sculpt, mixed media, paints, etc.) come together?

Inquiring minds might want to know...Thanks!
To be honest, the mixed media thing was definitely an acquired taste for me. I was resistant to it even during the first few years I worked for Sideshow, I always preferred all-sculpted. But, having said that, I have to admit I really love mixed media now and almost always prefer that to fully-sculpted when it comes to character-based collectibles like this. I still love all kinds of mediums in this industry though, including fully-sculpted works of course, but the mixed media art form is one that has definitely grown on me over time. Especially for characters like DC superheroes! I think superhero costumes translate to this medium better than most other characters do, because the 'scale' of spandex, etc, looks more realistic than, say, a 1/4 scale leather jacket. Just my 2 cents!
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #104
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bergholtz View Post
To be honest, the mixed media thing was definitely an acquired taste for me. I was resistant to it even during the first few years I worked for Sideshow, I always preferred all-sculpted. But, having said that, I have to admit I really love mixed media now and almost always prefer that to fully-sculpted when it comes to character-based collectibles like this. I still love all kinds of mediums in this industry though, including fully-sculpted works of course, but the mixed media art form is one that has definitely grown on me over time. Especially for characters like DC superheroes! I think superhero costumes translate to this medium better than most other characters do, because the 'scale' of spandex, etc, looks more realistic than, say, a 1/4 scale leather jacket. Just my 2 cents!
Thanks for the insight. Can you tell us if the cloth has improved since the Wolverine and Sabretooth Premium Formats?
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #105
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
Thanks for the insight. Can you tell us if the cloth has improved since the Wolverine and Sabretooth Premium Formats?
I personally love the Wolverine & Sabertooth PF's, lol, but yes the materials and techniques of the cut & sew department are always improving. This one looks spot on, like it stepped right off the comic pages. There are also some cutting edge fabric coloring techniques being explored on these PF's, the team has found some very clever new ways to portray light/shadow on these miniature costumes that works VERY well for comic book characters like Bats & Supes. I'm sure they will be sharing some behind-the-scenes info on that on the Sideshow Experience website soon.
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #106
JohnMatrix
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
If you guys dig this statue now, just wait till the final reveal... The final figure is a bit more bulky & powerful, with a slightly smaller (and slightly more rugged) head, etc. Suffice to say those are very 'early' photos.

p.s. Thanks derekrodneysim!
Guys! Take Andy's words when he said the Superman piece is going to look awesome at SDCC! Can you guys spot the updated Superman sculpt below? HE LOOKS SO BAD A$$!

JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #107
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
I personally love the Wolverine & Sabertooth PF's, lol, but yes the materials and techniques of the cut & sew department are always improving. This one looks spot on, like it stepped right off the comic pages. There are also some cutting edge fabric coloring techniques being explored on these PF's, the team has found some very clever new ways to portray light/shadow on these miniature costumes that works VERY well for comic book characters like Bats & Supes. I'm sure they will be sharing some behind-the-scenes info on that on the Sideshow Experience website soon.
Wow, can't wait to see this! Thanks again
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #108
wanderlai
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMatrix View Post
Guys! Take Andy's words when he said the Superman piece is going to look awesome at SDCC! Can you guys spot the updated Superman sculpt below? HE LOOKS SO BAD A$$!

What's the big demon head on the wall?
wanderlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #109
floreairfoot
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlai View Post
What's the big demon head on the wall?
You shall not pass!!!
floreairfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #110
joaj99
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I knew you would be dying when you saw this...
Oh you know it bro fell off my seat when I saw this dream come true been waiting a long time !!!
joaj99 is offline   Reply With Quote