VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #5052
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bods View Post
The Midnight Meat Train 8.5/10
Halloween (2007) 8.5/10
a pair of worthwhile modern horror movies revisited on BD.
oh my I don't agree with you on these two.

I liked Halloween when I saw it at the theaters, but found it unwatchable at home.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #5053
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Midnight Meat Train had some originality.

I never bothered with the Halloween remakes; Carpenter's first two Halloweens were utterly brilliant.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #5054
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIMOE27 View Post
oh no. I'm watching the movie tonight. Let's see how it goes
What did you think?
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #5055
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post

I never bothered with the Halloween remakes; Carpenter's first two Halloweens were utterly brilliant.
I agree on both counts. Especially in regards to Carpenter's Halloween I and II. Halloween II is severly underrated IMO.

Midnight Meat Train ended up in a VERY bizarre place by the end of that film. Quite strange but bonus points for it's originality as you said.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #5056
randy_marsh
I am da law!

I agree halloween 1 and 2 rocked, I actually thought 4,5,and 6 were okay. The one where michael was saved at the end and then was controlled by the older man in silver-toed boots was interesting. I could certainly see why people don't like them no Laurie Strode, Semi-annoying neice,those babysitters of said niece.
randy_marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #5057
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I Am Love (2010) Russian wife (Tilda Swinton) in a wealthy Italian family has her passions reignited by the cooking of her son's friend. 10/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #5058
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Descent II 5/10

This is a case where they should have just quit after the first one which was pretty good, IMO. I liked the British ending better than the American ending of the first one.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #5059
Bods
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post

I like all the Halloween movies to varying extents. Zombie's Halloween films didn't go down well with a lot of people, but a lot of people have a strong dislike of remakes (and Zombie) in general. I just take them case by case. They do no harm to the work that inspired them and as a horror fan I find it helps to have an accepting view of all the remakes, sequels, prequels, and more remakes that are popular now otherwise I wouldn't have much to watch from modern America.

I think Zombie showed promise in House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects and finally made his first couple of really good films with Halloween 1&2. In terms of recent remakes they're up there with The Hills Have Eyes (just the first one) as opposed to down wherever with Friday The 13th.

Midnight Meat Train is very cool - a faithful adaptation (albeit padded, but what can you do with such a short story? Maybe if Tales from The Crypt was still on...) directed by someone who loves Barker (and happens to be a very slick director). Their disappointment in how the film was handled by the distributor is justified.

----

From Hell 9.5/10
An incredible a/v package - here we have some of the finest work of dp Peter Deming's career and a wonderfully brooding score by Trevor Jones. This was quite a feast in the cinema and the BD is a splendid representation of the film. Neither historical fact or the source material are terribly well-served here, but in terms of the the directing brother's artistic intent, they succeed with flying colours.
Bods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #5060
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bods View Post
I think Zombie showed promise in House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects and finally made his first couple of really good films with Halloween 1&2. In terms of recent remakes they're up there with The Hills Have Eyes (just the first one) as opposed to down wherever with Friday The 13th.
I have the exact opposite opinion. I felt the Halloween remakes were a HUGE step backwards when compared to HO1C and The Devil's Rejects. And I'm not opposed to remakes either, just poorly conceived films made to simply cash in on a franchise that had been milked to death long ago.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote