Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 11-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Chargersfan57
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Important decision on PCS collecting.

Hey guys. Just looking for an opinion here even though I'm sure it will be somewhat biased. (Which is okay)

I came back into the world of collecting recently from retirement for Sideshow's court of the dead line. I have the Queen and Red Death on order and plan/planned to order them all.

But I LOVE what Jerry is doing with the SF and MK characters, his fantastic sculpts, and actual collectors mentality. I think it would be too much of a strain to collect his awesome pieces + the entire CotD line.

My question would be: Should I focus on CotD line or focus on PCS releases.

I got Scorpion and he's mine forever, but what is better to focus on for the future?

I want to be in for one or the other completely.

I guess I could collect a little of both, but if I get a few CotD pieces than I'd want them all, and CotD pieces can get in the way of funds for PCS pieces plus other important life things. (bills etc...)
Chargersfan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Do whatever makes you happy. I'm collecting both because I like choice/variance. Never had any interest in dedicating myself to one line.

I have Bison, Sagat with Balrog and Honda on order. Meanwhile I only have Gallevarbe on order and will wait for Xiall.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

^^ Good advise.

One thing to take into consideration is the hot PCS pieces seem to be hard to get because of low ES and if you miss you probably will pay a premium if you decide you want them later. Don't know what the ES for COTD line is but I can not see them being as hard to acquire as PCS pieces for retail if you miss them.
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Focus on PCS,you will be getting more for your money.Also you wont have to play Russian roulette with what your gonna receive from PCS unlike Sideshow.With the prices and edition sizes that company is churning out for the COTD line (a non licensed product) it wont be difficult to find most of them on the aftermarket for retail or maybe even less down the road.The thing that makes the COTD line so beautiful is the incredible paint jobs Sideshow have done,but we all know the chances of you getting something of that quality is low,unlike PCS where there standards are much higher.SF has a proven record of success,and MK is going along the same way...but Sideshow COTD line is just a giant risk if you ask me whether its the money part,high edition sizes or the quality part.I have nothing on preorder from Sideshow,not because of there es's,or products,but simply because they work speaks for itself.Good luck with your decision
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
Indridcold99
The Avengers

My opinion, stay away from PO anything from SSC Cotd dead line because the prices are very high as well as the ES. Somewhere down the line you can get some the statues for less from EBay or a private seller. Makes no sense to PO a expensive statue that hasnent been released with a huge ES.

You def get more for you're money with PCS

However, asking for advice can be a very dangerous thing depending on who you get it from. Just go with your gut broski
Indridcold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #6
Jeepindude
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I'm not choosing sides I collect statues, 1/6th scale figures, action figures, artwork, whatever! So when I see something I like I pre order it I don't care who it's from or what the ES is as long as it looks awesome and it's something I'm into I'm all about it! This is supposed to be fun don't get so caught up in branding, just collect I'm a huge pcs fan though lemme just say that
Jeepindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
Chargersfan57

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
Do whatever makes you happy. I'm collecting both because I like choice/variance. Never had any interest in dedicating myself to one line.

I have Bison, Sagat with Balrog and Honda on order. Meanwhile I only have Gallevarbe on order and will wait for Xiall.
Well with PCS it wouldn't exactly be collecting an entire line. I would pick and choose.

I want some of the 1:3 pieces, some MK pieces and some SF pieces. I feel I can just go for what I like.

But the 1:3 pieces are more expensive and the EX pieces are WAY harder to get than Sideshow's.

So when a PO comes up there's no time to wait.

With Sideshow I could collect the entire court but I'd probably have my hands full considering there are already 10+ PF's revealed with I'm sure more to come. There will always be an order or two on my account.

I guess if I collect SS or PCS I look forward to the down time where I don't have money going out all the time where I probably wont get that with orders from both companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf-brother View Post
^^ Good advise.

One thing to take into consideration is the hot PCS pieces seem to be hard to get because of low ES and if you miss you probably will pay a premium if you decide you want them later. Don't know what the ES for COTD line is but I can not see them being as hard to acquire as PCS pieces for retail if you miss them.
That's a stellar point. I guess I could always pursue a SS piece if I want when there's downtime on the PCS front.

But again, I kinda feel like 1 Cotd piece= all CotD pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Focus on PCS,you will be getting more for your money.Also you wont have to play Russian roulette with what your gonna receive from PCS unlike Sideshow.With the prices and edition sizes that company is churning out for the COTD line (a non licensed product) it wont be difficult to find most of them on the aftermarket for retail or maybe even less down the road.The thing that makes the COTD line so beautiful is the incredible paint jobs Sideshow have done,but we all know the chances of you getting something of that quality is low,unlike PCS where there standards are much higher.SF has a proven record of success,and MK is going along the same way...but Sideshow COTD line is just a giant risk if you ask me whether its the money part,high edition sizes or the quality part.I have nothing on preorder from Sideshow,not because of there es's,or products,but simply because they work speaks for itself.Good luck with your decision
These are the things that have been circling in my mind as of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indridcold99 View Post
My opinion, stay away from PO anything from SSC Cotd dead line because the prices are very high as well as the ES. Somewhere down the line you can get some the statues for less from EBay or a private seller. Makes no sense to PO a expensive statue that hasnent been released with a huge ES.

You def get more for you're money with PCS

However, asking for advice can be a very dangerous thing depending on who you get it from. Just go with your gut broski
Thanks man. Yeah I'll go with my gut but I just want to hear some collectors side of this story. Fuel to feed my brain so to speak.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
Chargersfan57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepindude View Post
I'm not choosing sides I collect statues, 1/6th scale figures, action figures, artwork, whatever! So when I see something I like I pre order it I don't care who it's from or what the ES is as long as it looks awesome and it's something I'm into I'm all about it! This is supposed to be fun don't get so caught up in branding, just collect I'm a huge pcs fan though lemme just say that
Agree on you point but it's not so much branding as its seeing pieces on both sides of the fence that I want, and thinking it's best not to swing for both.

If I can talk myself out of the whole CotD line, then maybe I can talk myself into just getting a couple. Maybe...

I want to have a simple PO list always. WHen I first got into the game I was ordering EVERYTHING from SS and I'd have 20 Po's with them at a time.

Now I'm super selective and don't want to blow all my money and be responsible.

Preordering from both companies can become a slippery slope for me.

So I'm working on some restraint.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
Chargersfan57

Forgot to mention I currently also have a Gentle Giant piece on PO. I could see PCS being my main go to place for collectibles and GG being my place for the odd PO here and there.

IMO, these 2 companies are at the top of their game and that's where I want to get my collectibles from.

Back when I was collecting, from the end of 2008 up until a few years ago, I was collecting SS and SS only. I thought it would make collecting more enjoyable to limit myself to 1 company so things wouldn't get hectic. I would collect anythin I wanted as long as it was from SS. (And at the time I did own a few PCS SF pieces because they were distributed by SS)

Because if I collect a statue from this company and one from that company and one from another company then where do I draw the line? I could have 20 POs going from different companies just because I like the statue.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #10
Chargersfan57

stupid double post