Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #731
WolverineFan
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
I’m not talking about Sideshow’s Joker because my point was on how a lot (not all) XM fans pile on Sideshow while praising the most mediocre of sculpts from XM. This Joker is one of those mediocre even poor sculpts in my opinion. The portrait is poor as is the pose. Don’t see how it fits the Joker’s persona...he’s never struck me as an engineering genius. Giant Joker robot? Is this from Ninja Batman? What is he holding? Does it spray Joker gas or is it something he bites you with? Or is it a two in one? And I don’t like Sudeshow’s version that much either (yes I think it is a bit too busy) but at least the sculpt and pose are leaps and bounds better. I much prefer the classic first Joker PF.

And if your argument is it’s because it’s a smaller scale look no further than Teeeterhead’s 1/6 version which is awesome in my book.

Go take a look in the XM threads and tell me that they are held to the same standards as Sideshow by collectors. It’s not even close. Yet we have XM fans over here constantly proclaiming that the competition isn’t even close.
We just have way different tastes which is fine. That’s why companies make the same character in different poses. If I had to chose new or old sideshow Joker, I would choose new and it’s not even close for me. For 1/6 XM and Tweeterhead Joker, I would choose XM. Tweeterhead is very good though. Can’t go wrong with either.

Here’s where I think you don’t actually go into XM threads, because if you look, you will see that in the Cyclops thread, people are criticizing his belt color choice and wanting a change. Gambit has been criticized for his leg being raised, etc. There is a ton of criticism. XM listens to their fans.

I own more sideshow statues but yes I do think XM consistently puts out statue of the year candidates more than Sideshow over the past few years. XM is the better company currently in my opinion.
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:39 PM   #732
prototypy
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Sideshow is obviously better than XM in any aspect.
Maybe only except art direction sometimes.
prototypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #733
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
I’m not talking about Sideshow’s Joker because my point was on how a lot (not all) XM fans pile on Sideshow while praising the most mediocre of sculpts from XM. This Joker is one of those mediocre even poor sculpts in my opinion. The portrait is poor as is the pose. Don’t see how it fits the Joker’s persona...he’s never struck me as an engineering genius. Giant Joker robot? Is this from Ninja Batman? What is he holding? Does it spray Joker gas or is it something he bites you with? Or is it a two in one? And I don’t like Sudeshow’s version that much either (yes I think it is a bit too busy) but at least the sculpt and pose are leaps and bounds better. I much prefer the classic first Joker PF.

And if your argument is it’s because it’s a smaller scale look no further than Teeeterhead’s 1/6 version which is awesome in my book.

Go take a look in the XM threads and tell me that they are held to the same standards as Sideshow by collectors. It’s not even close. Yet we have XM fans over here constantly proclaiming that the competition isn’t even close.
A lot of people are saying it's too cartoony and prefer Tweeterhead's joker... I personally don't find it all that bad but I did comment in the XM forums I wouldn't be opposed if XM took it back to the drawing board to make changes....

As for the reference to the mechanic mouths, well if you don't get that then you are not a joker fan... It's been a running gag of his forever, hell Jack Nicholson's Joker even used it in the Batman movie...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #734
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototypy View Post
Sideshow is obviously better than XM in any aspect.
Maybe only except art direction sometimes.
I would agree but only in using SS prototypes... Very few production statues measure up to the prototype... I remember when their First Red Sonja production statue came out and a few of us called it out for it's really bad skin paint application and SS fanboys were defending it and calling us all sorts of names, then a year or so later most of them agree it was bad...

SS biggest issue is their factories, there very inconsistent.... Until they fix that they will also be 2nd to XM and Prime 1 when it comes to overall quality... Probably doesn't help that SS hires the best of the best to paint their prototypes, it sets very high expectations from people spending $500+ on a statue.. They should have the factory who's going to build the statues paint the prototype to give a realistic expectation of what the buyer will get.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #735
slickrick
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I would agree but only in using SS prototypes... Very few production statues measure up to the prototype... I remember when their First Red Sonja production statue came out and a few of us called it out for it's really bad skin paint application and SS fanboys were defending it and calling us all sorts of names, then a year or so later most of them agree it was bad...

SS biggest issue is their factories, there very inconsistent.... Until they fix that they will also be 2nd to XM and Prime 1 when it comes to overall quality... Probably doesn't help that SS hires the best of the best to paint their prototypes, it sets very high expectations from people spending $500+ on a statue.. They should have the factory who's going to build the statues paint it to give a realistic expectation of what the buyer will get.
I always wondered how they hire the factory painters? SS aims to save money right? So Are the factory people painters themselves? or do they hire regular people and teach them how to mask and spray?
slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:17 PM   #736
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrick View Post
I always wondered how they hire the factory painters? SS aims to save money right? So Are the factory people painters themselves? or do they hire regular people and teach them how to mask and spray?
They hire the factory and the factory already has it's workers, skill varies from person to person I imagine, have to remember these are factories in China and these workers are not being paid top dollar..

I know some companies have posted how they work with just one factory and have sent their master painters to that factory to teach the workers techniques to improve their painting skills and to get the look they want on their production statues... these companies have also said they pay a premium over what other companies pay to get the best skilled workers on their project...
Old 06-19-2018, 01:47 AM   #737
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismhk View Post
We need more people like you on XM section lol. I feel like people are more careful with what they say there.
I’d rather not. I don’t see the point. I don’t like the statue at all, what is the point of going over and stirring things up.
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:21 AM   #738
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
A lot of people are saying it's too cartoony and prefer Tweeterhead's joker... I personally don't find it all that bad but I did comment in the XM forums I wouldn't be opposed if XM took it back to the drawing board to make changes....

As for the reference to the mechanic mouths, well if you don't get that then you are not a joker fan... It's been a running gag of his forever, hell Jack Nicholson's Joker even used it in the Batman movie...
So if Joker built a giant chattering mouth super mecha robot I’m suppose to get it otherwise I’m not a fan?

Just because Joker is associated with it doesn’t mean you can stick it on a gun or a robot and still have it in character. Maybe you are not a “Joker fan” because you dont get what the Joker is about. Im sure if XM comes up with a armored up Joker with Joker mobile with chattering teeth you’ll accept it because you are a true Joker fan right?

And sure there are a few critiques (a few more popped up after I posted yesterday) but you seriously think the level of criticism and is on par with how Sideshow is scrutinized? If this Joker had been a Sideshow product it would’ve gotten killed...with XM critics it looks cartoony but still great.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:43 AM   #739
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
We just have way different tastes which is fine. That’s why companies make the same character in different poses. If I had to chose new or old sideshow Joker, I would choose new and it’s not even close for me. For 1/6 XM and Tweeterhead Joker, I would choose XM. Tweeterhead is very good though. Can’t go wrong with either.

Here’s where I think you don’t actually go into XM threads, because if you look, you will see that in the Cyclops thread, people are criticizing his belt color choice and wanting a change. Gambit has been criticized for his leg being raised, etc. There is a ton of criticism. XM listens to their fans.

I own more sideshow statues but yes I do think XM consistently puts out statue of the year candidates more than Sideshow over the past few years. XM is the better company currently in my opinion.
No I go into the threads. I just don’t see comments like “Gambit’s pose is super feminine...Sideshow’s version from nearly a decade ago ----s all over this one.” “Boba Fetts’s smoke effects looks horrible...wtf is that coming out of his jet packs?”

I think you get the point. I do agree that XM listens to its fans and that is a great thing. Possibly why people don’t react so harshly when critiquing a piece. You also don’t have as many SS fanboys stirring things up over there either.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:57 AM   #740
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
No I go into the threads. I just don’t see comments like “Gambit’s pose is super feminine...Sideshow’s version from nearly a decade ago ----s all over this one.” “Boba Fetts’s smoke effects looks horrible...wtf is that coming out of his jet packs?”

I think you get the point. I do agree that XM listens to its fans and that is a great thing. Possibly why people don’t react so harshly when critiquing a piece. You also don’t have as many SS fanboys stirring things up over there either.
And yet you see alot of XM fanatics stirring things up over Sideshow Threads stating how much they will choose XM over sideshow anytime of the day..
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote