Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Home Repair

Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #31
Babytoxie
Ghost

Friggin' sewer lines... it seemed like all the houses in our old neighborhood were having problems with them: backing up, collapsing, whatever. Luckily, we were able to sell our house and get out without encountering any problems, and I think we may have dodged a bullet there.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #32
protector2814
Phoenix

Day four w/o any power. No phone (land-line's out too), heat, fridge, stove, anything. Just threw out the last of the food I purchased the day before the snow. Our energy company (PEPCO) is just killin' us. I'm on my sister's computer for a few minutes. Bed at 7:30 every night w/ the kids now in some sort of fight with each other hourly. I'm betting Sunday night to early next week for the power back on. Not even a truck anywhere near us w/ lines down everywhere. Oh well........
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #33
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

WOW, hope things get better.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #34
protector2814
Phoenix

"F" it...I don't even care. This is the new normal, as far as I'm concerned.

Just gonna assume that w/ every storm above a 4, we're gonna loose power for days. It's been like this almost for the past 10 years. The infrastructure of the country is decaying w/ no $ nor incentive to fix it.
My neighborhood is just ahead of the curve. If I sound grumpy, it's because I am.

But thanks, Warhead. I do appreciate the thought. : - )
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #35
risingstar
Jedi Order

In 2010, we had to replace the hot water tank and the heat pump. Don't even get me started on the maintennance of the house grounds and pool. Yeesh. There are times when I miss the days when it was just Cecilia and myself in our 2 bedroom apartment in the city. It's now ten years and two kids later and we have more expenses than we ever dreamed. Holy moley. Retirement should be lots of fun... lol.

However, truth be told, when I'm playing hockey outside with my daughter Selina or watching her name all the statues around the house or just simply hearing her laughter, I forget all about it.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #36
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
"F" it...I don't even care. This is the new normal, as far as I'm concerned.

Just gonna assume that w/ every storm above a 4, we're gonna loose power for days. It's been like this almost for the past 10 years. The infrastructure of the country is decaying w/ no $ nor incentive to fix it.
My neighborhood is just ahead of the curve. If I sound grumpy, it's because I am.

But thanks, Warhead. I do appreciate the thought. : - )
I think it's just Silver Spring, man. My boy who lives out there had the promise of electricity returning late Sunday night. Did it happen for you yet?

You guys really need to raise hell with the powers that be in Montgomery County. That is unacceptable to let Pepco write their own ticket at the expense of 200,000 homes.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #37
cblakey1
Cyclops

I've always bought new and never stayed in a home long enough to realize any real problems.

'Course the first week I was in my latest "new" home we had to have the basement torn out. Turns out the guys who pour the foundation for the house also filled one of the outgoing sewage pipes with concrete (pretty common with these idiots), so the first week in my new crib found us washing dishes in bathroom sinks and bathtubs on the side of the house where the other sewage pipe was.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #38
C. Bormann
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I bought my house 3 1/2 years ago. I am in the process of gutting and remodeling it room by room.

Some days I think I got a bargain, and some days I think I got screwed.
C. Bormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #39
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

My brother's just about to loose his . . . built his dream house in Cairns (far north Queensland) and they are expecting a massive cyclone in the next 24 hours. They are all safe, but he is expecting major damage (best case) or total destruction.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #40
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
My brother's just about to loose his . . . built his dream house in Cairns (far north Queensland) and they are expecting a massive cyclone in the next 24 hours. They are all safe, but he is expecting major damage (best case) or total destruction.

Holy! Let's hope everything turns out okay!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote