Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #431
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovirfo View Post
I think that with a more dynamic cape, the statue would be much better.
Well, and the hair also needs a paint overhaul.
Quite possible. The cape is, IMO, by far the worst part of the statue. It has 0 flow and 0 movement.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #432
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
This is about the Koto DRS Storm, not the custom.
I don't want to drive this thread into the dirt, but I do need to defend the mentions of the custom by the users here who want to mention it for the sake of any moderators who want to delete posts or ban/suspend accounts.

Talking about the official release versus the custom release, which are both sculpted by the same guy, is no different than comparing a Sideshow X-Men piece versus an XM X-Men piece - like when both Jean Grey Phoenix statues were coming out. Fans owe it to Koto, and Koto owes it back to fans, to be able to hear and express issues of why one is better than the other. And no one's posted links, no one's posted photo's, and no one has campaigned for customers to abandon the official release for the custom. So there shouldn't be negativity seen by anyone (Koto devotees or moderators) for the simple fact that there's another statue out there that people are comparing this one to.

And honestly, we need to open up some much needed discussion about this Koto Storm:

-Why does Koto treat the X-Men DRS brand so poorly?
-Why are the paint apps done so shoddy for the final production release?
-Why do major sculpt changes happen from preview to the final production piece?
-Why are prior sculpt decisions continually dropped from one release to the next (details to the base, for example)?
-Why was the official Koto Storm created with poor attention to costume detail?

And it's not like we're even asking how did a custom commissioned Storm receive a better all around sculpt, from hair to cape to X-symbols to facial expression. We're simply comparing a clearly inferior official release to a superior custom release, and wondering how Koto screwed this up.

So, I hope I don't get banned or this post gets deleted. But we're simply talking, we're not promoting, and we're asking questions. And isn't that what a posting forum supposed to be all about?
DiscoCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #433
chunkster702
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Valid discussion.

I still haven't seen this custom and can't seem to locate pics.

I say it's fair to compare since both are done by Sosa.
chunkster702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #434
qz33
Doctor Doom

I was going to stay out of this but...
I'm not really sure what anyone is hoping to accomplish with this discussion.
You're just putting uncomfortable pressure on Sosa, Koto, Gonk, and the person that commissioned the custom.
The difference is the legality and the working relationship.
I'm sure pointing out how a illegal production is much preferred to a result of a long standing contract really helps them all get along.

I mean there is the added obstacle Koto has of getting approvals from someone in Marvel that instead of knowing the source material just decides to go with how they feel things should look.

Then there's the production difference of a few handfuls versus several thousand.
Custom is nearly double Fine Art's usual retail price.

Also there's several layers of Kotobukiya management and we don't know the whole story nor are we really entitled to.

So yeah you don't like this one have at it. If you do like it have at it.

But bringing so much attention to something trying to stay low key isn't helping anything.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #435
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Thank you QZ.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #436
ovirfo
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
I don't want to drive this thread into the dirt, but I do need to defend the mentions of the custom by the users here who want to mention it for the sake of any moderators who want to delete posts or ban/suspend accounts.

Talking about the official release versus the custom release, which are both sculpted by the same guy, is no different than comparing a Sideshow X-Men piece versus an XM X-Men piece - like when both Jean Grey Phoenix statues were coming out. Fans owe it to Koto, and Koto owes it back to fans, to be able to hear and express issues of why one is better than the other. And no one's posted links, no one's posted photo's, and no one has campaigned for customers to abandon the official release for the custom. So there shouldn't be negativity seen by anyone (Koto devotees or moderators) for the simple fact that there's another statue out there that people are comparing this one to.

And honestly, we need to open up some much needed discussion about this Koto Storm:

-Why does Koto treat the X-Men DRS brand so poorly?
-Why are the paint apps done so shoddy for the final production release?
-Why do major sculpt changes happen from preview to the final production piece?
-Why are prior sculpt decisions continually dropped from one release to the next (details to the base, for example)?
-Why was the official Koto Storm created with poor attention to costume detail?

And it's not like we're even asking how did a custom commissioned Storm receive a better all around sculpt, from hair to cape to X-symbols to facial expression. We're simply comparing a clearly inferior official release to a superior custom release, and wondering how Koto screwed this up.

So, I hope I don't get banned or this post gets deleted. But we're simply talking, we're not promoting, and we're asking questions. And isn't that what a posting forum supposed to be all about?
Impossible to say it better.
I believe that it is not an absurd discussion. I hope that the people of Kotobukiya can improve the dynamism of the statue thanks to this discussion.
It would be sad if this were the final product, with hardly any feedback from his fans.
ovirfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #437
TheLastMan
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Punisher should be stateside around August. Does that mean to expect Storm early 2019? Assuming this Fine Art series doesn't go away. Comic Con feels key than ever in reading this line's future. I want to see multiple new characters like the ArtFX+ reveals.
TheLastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #438
Dark Knight.
Birdman

If she becomes available in 2019 it will be 2 years from announcement to delivery. I don't think this line has legs and it doesn't seem that too much effort is going into it anymore which I don't understand. I hope SDCC blows me away because I love this line.
Dark Knight. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #439
L Deimos
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight. View Post
If she becomes available in 2019 it will be 2 years from announcement to delivery. I don't think this line has legs and it doesn't seem that too much effort is going into it anymore which I don't understand. I hope SDCC blows me away because I love this line.
Well one of the biggest problems is that Its too hard to get the older pieces. They would need to remake key characters to pump juice unto this line. Why get Storm if you can't get Cyclops, Gambit, or Colossus. They can mix new characters in for collector's that already have the classics.
L Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:24 PM   #440
GrabberOrange
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Deimos View Post
Well one of the biggest problems is that Its too hard to get the older pieces. They would need to remake key characters to pump juice unto this line. Why get Storm if you can't get Cyclops, Gambit, or Colossus. They can mix new characters in for collector's that already have the classics.
GrabberOrange is offline   Reply With Quote