Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-17-2017, 12:42 AM   #1
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

What's a reasonable offer for a J Scott Campbell prelim page with 5-7 figures on it?

A dear friend of mine is having his first kid in February, and I really want to get him a gift that's a JSC piece that has a specific character on it that he obsesses over, as well as it book ending a great moment we experienced years ago over the artist and said character.

My issue is that even though this is a close friend where money is never a factor between us, money IS still a factor of affordability for me. The owner of the piece has an NFS tag, but was willing to sell it to me for $2250, which is going a bit over the funds I have to afford this. And on top of that price, my next fear is that he won't ship it to me first, even if I sent half the payment up front, so I'll need to send some or all of the money as a goods and services payment, which means I'll need to add on more cash to cover the fee, which will probably make the final cost of everything to me around $2500 for a JSC prelim (let alone me framing it professionally).

So, can I morally low ball his offer for a JSC prelim/multiple character piece that's about 11.5 x 8 inches in size, or is that the going rate I should expect these days?

(and for the sake of the seller somehow seeing this post, or anyone else possibly attempting to get it for themselves, I'm gonna keep the image a secret for now)

Thanks!
DiscoCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Just saw this post. I am not at all familiar with the JSC market so I won't be much help. Though 2250 for a prelim seems excessive. Most prelims from modern artists are usually much lower than that. I'm just impressed that you're willing to spend this kind of cash on a friend.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Just saw this post. I am not at all familiar with the JSC market so I won't be much help. Though 2250 for a prelim seems excessive. Most prelims from modern artists are usually much lower than that. I'm just impressed that you're willing to spend this kind of cash on a friend.
I have to echo MONSTER'S comments. Both on that seeming very high for a prelim and you dropping that kinda dough on a friend. Lucky friend indeed.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Unfortunately for me (and my friend) the guy backed out. I guess JSC isn't doing commissions anymore, and this guy wants to hold on to the piece. Which is a shame, cuz it would have been a great gift for my friend who's absolutely in love with the character drawn.

My hesitations in buying it right away was that it was so expensive AND for $2250 I was feeling like I could have just outright purchased a published JSC art piece.

Oh well, maybe I'll try the guy again next year.

Thanks for the replies! =)
DiscoCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Given Killing Joke prelims are 1000-1500, 2250 is absurd.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Yep...2250 for a prelim is nuts. U can get alex ross high quality prelims for less
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote