Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 AM   #1581
built2shred
Phoenix

Put a little putty on the end of her broken arm and call it the "Jaws special Edition Whisper"
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #1582
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
That bites.... It does seem GG has a boxing issue... I hope at this rate TJ doesn't run out of replacements
Indeed. I don't think GG stress tested the styrofoam well enough. These breakages are proof of that imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Fiction View Post
Yea it's definitely a boxing issue. I'll most likely modifying the styro for all future shipments. It's such a bummer. Three so far with the same exact break as gary and john
Quote:
In inspected yours Jason and it was all good. I'll be packaging these with extra care to insure against breakage, but sometimes it can't be helped. There is definitely a packaging issue with whisper. Such a bummer
Thank you, sir. Your extra effort is most appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Put a little putty on the end of her broken arm and call it the "Jaws special Edition Whisper"
Indeed
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #1583
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My Whisper arrived unbroken. Review still coming. Just waiting for a good day to take pics.

But I am concerned about the arm breaking issue and the box becoming a death trap during transport. Maybe people who have the variant can check their box. The normal box just has a slight indentation for where the arm sits. I guess if the box drops or takes a hard bump it could put pressure on the arm joint and snap it.

I remember starting a thread somewhere asking how people were storing undisplayed statues when the box doesn't say which side should be up. I don't think it received any responses. Many statues to me seem better sitting flat, that is with the statue character on their back. Whisper could be the opposite even though everything in the box is setup for her to be back down.

Quote:
Yea it's definitely a boxing issue. I'll most likely modifying the styro for all future shipments. It's such a bummer. Three so far with the same exact break as gary and john
I would like to see your inner box mod to protect Whisper during shipping or if Gentle Giant gave you any instructions on the box issue.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #1584
zadmax
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Well, my order from Amazon was delivered today, and as I feared from seeing the beat up shipping box, it was damaged. The actual Gentle Giant box had very very minor damage on one corner, but the spear was broken in two and the lower spear tip was chipped off/missing. The knife & dog tags were rattling around loose inside the Styrofoam but were not damaged. One of her flippers had the foot retainer piece broken off, but looked like it just needed to be glued back on. It didn't have any actual broken pieces.

It was fairly obvious that the horrible packing job Amazon did (a few crumpled up sheets of paper tucked on one side of the inner box) caused the inner box to slide & bang around inside the outer shipping box.

It's a shame because besides a few very minor non-damage related flaws that I could have lived with, she looked great. Mine was #210/600. She will be going back to Amazon this week.
zadmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:09 AM   #1585
cpluse2
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

After waiting all this time. It suck now others are having shipping issues. I hope GT fixes this issue before they send out the next batch or statue. It took this long to get the statue now its packing nightmares.
cpluse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #1586
dechirico7
The Flash

They had box/foam issues with Amber too. I think quite a few of those arrived decitated.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #1587
TechnoDestructo
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
I received mine but it arrived damaged. The arm that holds the spear gun broke off from the body same as built2shred. I think the styrofoam is putting too much pressure on that arm. It should have been a separate piece that attached by a magnet.

The good news is I already got confirmation from spec fiction that I'll be getting a replacement. I can't recommend this seller enough. Great customer service.
Had spoken with my local guy about this and he said it's probably the same issue they had with the Sucker Punch Amber. They come packed two to a case and of course everything is packaged with the boxes standing upright. Unfortunately it doesn't take into account that these often get placed sideways during shipping and in a lot of cases have other boxes stacked on top of them. This causes a ton of stress on certain points of the packing which causes the breaks, always in the same spots. It's why they get in a bunch and a few will have the breakage issues in the same spots and others, that weren't under a ton of stuff during delivery, tend to arrive without the same breakages.
TechnoDestructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #1588
zadmax
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Just wondering, but has anyone ever tried contacting GG about replacement parts?

Because Amazon won't be able to replace my Whisper statue, my only option would be to purchase one from somewhere else at a much higher price than I secured from Amazon back in 2013, or simply take the refund and forget about the statue.

I would be perfectly happy with my statue if I was just able to get the right hand part holding the spear gun replaced as that was the only major issue mine had.

I guess I will try contacting them about this, but was curious if anyone has ever tried something like this before with Gentle Giant? I figure they must have extras of this piece if they are getting back statues broken for other reasons, and it would (should) be a fairly easy part to ship.
zadmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #1589
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoDestructo View Post
Had spoken with my local guy about this and he said it's probably the same issue they had with the Sucker Punch Amber. They come packed two to a case and of course everything is packaged with the boxes standing upright. Unfortunately it doesn't take into account that these often get placed sideways during shipping and in a lot of cases have other boxes stacked on top of them. This causes a ton of stress on certain points of the packing which causes the breaks, always in the same spots. It's why they get in a bunch and a few will have the breakage issues in the same spots and others, that weren't under a ton of stuff during delivery, tend to arrive without the same breakages.
Yup, it's probably a combination of packaging that isn't providing adequate protection for the statue and rough handling by the shipping company.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #1590
FROBAY
Phoenix

Got mine from Amazon. Amazons famous sh!tty packaging of course. They put mine in an oversized box with a 8" piece of tissue paper (probly included to wipe your tears from their packaging). The color box was banged to hell the Styro shows battle damage but the statue was in one piece. Luck of the draw I guess.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote