Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #11
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
How many "sky is falling" threads do we need?
1 every month till something changes.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #12
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
1 every month till something changes.
It'd be easier / faster if every chicken little simply stopped buying and let the sky fall already, then.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #13
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
It's been said plenty here but if you're in this for resale value, then inevitably you're going to be disappointed. This isn't a hobby to retire off of, it just isn't. I get people hoping to be able to recoup what they spent on an item like this (perhaps even make money) but if it's that big of a thing to you then I just don't see how you could be happy over the long term. For how much people like to act like this is a more recent "problem" I can go on eBay and see A LOT of older P1/SS statues that sell right around, if not below their original price. And besides at the end of the day it's not up to these companies to make you money, they're trying to make themselves money. They're going to balance collectible "value" and ability to maximize revenue as much as possible, as well they should. Having said that, some of Sideshow's ES's are a bit silly.

While I do think there is some risk of over saturation (I think P1, while making the best stuff, overextends themselves,) overall I think things are ok. I think something that people who have been in it for a while may have a hard time acknowledging is that there are always going to be new people entering the hobby, and MOST of those people are not going to be the obsessive collectors that many in a place like this are. They want a Captain America statue because, well.....they like Captain America. And that's it. The thought of "Maybe I could sell this for a profit in a few years" doesn't even enter their mind. And I sure as hell know there isn't 1 purchase I've ever made where I cared about that in any way whatsoever. The DKR Master Race Batman is awesome and I'd happily buy it whether they made 1,000 or 10,000.
100% agree that a hobby should not be a retirement plan however rarity in every collection always holds some value, why do u think we even have edition sizes otherwise? There are all kinds of collectors collecting for different reasons but there are some universal truths about any hobby that can't be ignored.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #14
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

No last year i got my first statue and loved it this hobby just isn't for people who want to resell.
Zombiez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #15
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
It'd be easier / faster if every chicken little simply stopped buying and let the sky fall already, then.
Not sure what a forum is for if not for these kinds of discussions? You know u can just ignore these threads right?
Old 01-02-2019, 06:13 PM   #16
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Not sure what a forum is for if not for these kinds of discussions? You know u can just ignore these threads right?
The point is that there needs to be only one thread, not one thread started by every forum member.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #17
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
The point is that there needs to be only one thread, not one thread started by every forum member.
No there is no point mate , these threads will keep popping from time to time , just deal with it.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:18 PM   #18
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiez View Post
No last year i got my first statue and loved it this hobby just isn't for people who want to resell.
The hobby is great when u just start out , I have been collecting statues since 2005 and have sold my entire collection down to just one piece and have built it back again, it might not affect you now but trust me it will eventually will.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #19
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
sold my entire collection down to just one piece
You should've just stopped right there.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #20
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
100% agree that a hobby should not be a retirement plan however rarity in every collection always holds some value, why do u think we even have edition sizes otherwise? There are all kinds of collectors collecting for different reasons but there are some universal truths about any hobby that can't be ignored.
I think it's just that, inevitably, that bubble bursts. The time in which a company is trying to establish a foothold is always going to be an overall better time for the consumer. Once that foothold is established, the company can then start focusing more on revenue maximizing tactics rather.

Sure there are always going to be outlier statues (I imagine Thanos on Throne will be in high demand for a long time) but in general you just can't have the same feeling of value/demand/whatever today for a Captain America statue that you did 5+ years ago when you consider how many more are now in the market as compared to then. The demand/interest was nowhere near then what it is now, so it's a lot easier for things made in those days to have this crazy resale value for people who are big into that because there are so, so fewer of them in circulation. That "Classic" Captain America PF from Sideshow for example that tends to sell for a lot online, it sold for what like $300 and they made less than 1,000 of them? And the reality is people aren't paying $1,000 (or whatever) for that now because it's some kind of "Oh my God this is the most amazing Captain America statue ever made" type product, the people who are paying that are primarily hardcore collectors who want it because it's now older and hard to find.

I understand your frustrations, I do. But I personally would rather see it the way it is now then have the market be really struggling and not churning out much in terms of choice. I still find it remarkable that these companies can even do as well as they are considering these are ~$700 or whatever statues of comic book characters. They're really not that important. At all.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote