Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #1121
Rav
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Fascinating, I never imagined anyone would consider it strange to own a statue with no supporting media. For me, the statue itself has always been the objective.

Having said that, Marvel and D.C. are always retconning their characters, potentially redacting whole story lines. So getting emotionally attached to a character, under such circumstances, seems like a futile exercise.

Case in point would be the very discussion we're having about X23......
I find this characteristically untrue. Many fans do have sentiment for Marvel characters (I will stick to Marvel since this is an X-23 thread). and most of the marvel mainstream characters have retained the essence of their histories throughout the years.

Take Peter Parker for instance.

As a longtime Marvel and comic fan, I find emotional attachment to characters such as Spider-Man neither futile, nor unrewarding. Just the same response you would get from many Star Wars, Star Trek, Transformer etc fans.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #1122
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_apprentice View Post
Isn't it weird to have a collection of statue-based comics but no comics? "
Well, you can collect stamps without having to stick yourself on an envelope and sneak into a mailbox.
I am fascinated by the graphics and aesthetics that the universe of Gotham can offer me, the town and some of its most famous inhabitants. But I'm not really interested by the stories, more by the characters. Probably because I didn't grow up with them, I can imagine my own stories. So, no, it doesn't sound weird to me to collect comics statues without reading comics...
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #1123
Tarksis
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
Well, you can collect stamps without having to stick yourself on an envelope and sneak into a mailbox. So, no, it doesn't sound weird to me to collect comics statues without reading comics...
I pre-ordered the Gladiator Hulk Maquette without ever reading any Hulk comics or knowing the storyline that inspired the statue. It just blew me away and I had to have it. Likewise, I ordered Odium without knowing anything about Court of the Dead, still don't, and I'm not interested in any other character in the line....Odium is just an awesome statue.
Tarksis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #1124
Peedi
The Secret Six

1. Peter Parker is my best friend. No shame, lol. Even my mama knows. And I have real life friends. Believe not if you’d like. But yeah, you read these characters for years (childhood for me) and you “know” them even though they’re fictional, you do gain some sentimentality over them.

2. I used to think it weird people bought these things with little to no knowledge of who they’re buying...as a long time comic reader it grounded my gears when I saw fellow collectors making inaccurate statements about characters I continue to follow. But then I realized, their money is theirs to do as they please, and why can’t we all enjoy cool art? Everybody likes what is personally pleasing to the eye.

3. Still, one of the best things I learned (that applies to anything in life) is if you don’t know something don’t assume, either find out or be ok with admitting not knowing.

4. X-23 is still a teen, she’s still short, but I forgot she’s no longer a clone of Wolverine, she was retconned to be his biological doctor since his DNA was mixed with X-23’s mother’s DNA, not her being used a surrogate as originally written. Which brings us to the fact that...

5. Silas Loki is still correct, comics change things ALL the time. Try to follow how the Phoenix is explained from the original UXM appearances to current. Explain Psylocke. Where do Rogue’s powers come from now? How many clones are running around? How much of it will matter when the next creative team takes over? I read Jubilee go from 15, to 13 to 17, all printed in actual panels. Anything goes.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:31 PM   #1125
Rav
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
1. Peter Parker is my best friend. No shame, lol. Even my mama knows. And I have real life friends. Believe not if you’d like. But yeah, you read these characters for years (childhood for me) and you “know” them even though they’re fictional, you do gain some sentimentality over them.

2. I used to think it weird people bought these things with little to no knowledge of who they’re buying...as a long time comic reader it grounded my gears when I saw fellow collectors making inaccurate statements about characters I continue to follow. But then I realized, their money is theirs to do as they please, and why can’t we all enjoy cool art? Everybody likes what is personally pleasing to the eye.

3. Still, one of the best things I learned (that applies to anything in life) is if you don’t know something don’t assume, either find out or be ok with admitting not knowing.

4. X-23 is still a teen, she’s still short, but I forgot she’s no longer a clone of Wolverine, she was retconned to be his biological doctor since his DNA was mixed with X-23’s mother’s DNA, not her being used a surrogate as originally written. Which brings us to the fact that...

5. Silas Loki is still correct, comics change things ALL the time. Try to follow how the Phoenix is explained from the original UXM appearances to current. Explain Psylocke. Where do Rogue’s powers come from now? How many clones are running around? How much of it will matter when the next creative team takes over? I read Jubilee go from 15, to 13 to 17, all printed in actual panels. Anything goes.

QFT.

Yeah, and the recent rebirth of the X-men in House of X / Powers of X is pretty awesome so far.

You may like the upcoming X-men #1 Russell Dauterman variant cover with all the incarnations of Jean Grey.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #1126
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_apprentice View Post
Isn't it weird to have a collection of statue-based comics but no comics? People come over and see your X-23 and are like, "Hey let me see what issues you have!" and it's like, "Do who to the what now?"
Hmm... I invite a lot of different types of people over and this has literally never happened... after all the compliments on the statues I usually get a "did you like the movie?" or "I played that game" or "I used to watch that"

I'm going to go ahead and say that X-23 isn't a comics statue only because she's in TV series, movies, games, steaming, books and other mediums and someone could be wanting her based on what they know from that.

A true "comics" statue IMO would be one that really has only been in comics and not much else. I'm thinking perhaps like Aspen from Aspen comics. I don't believe they have any TV, movies or games (if you know of one feel free to share). When SS revealed it I thought the statue was awesome so researched her online a bit to see if I vibed with her story and ended up getting an art book from Michael Turner since it was a comic-con exclusive and that's about it.

Personally I stopped collecting comics a long time ago after I got old enough to realize there could be value in them if it's kept crisp in the sleeve. Which then lead me to be torn between keeping them "safe" or throwing in a bag and reading them on a flight. Currently just don't have the time with other priorities to be hunting down issues and keeping up to date with all the different side stories... its just exhausting

So yea... no comics for me, just digital media and some art books here and there usually from movies or games... and Harley Quinn...
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #1127
Demona
Martian Manhunter

You know what I love about X-Men comics, Storm is still pretty much the same Ororo she has always been. If they go jacking with her history, I'm going to be hot.

And a lot of the recent retconning came at the hands of Disney. They gutted Scarlet Witch/Magneto/Quicksilver. Which is sad because that family tree was a great link. Now we can't even put Scarlet Witch and mutants in the same breath.

Though as I type this, did anybody else see how they mentioned Wanda as a "traitor" in PoX when describing House of M events and her eradication of mutants? refreshing it was mentioned again.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #1128
Rav
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
You know what I love about X-Men comics, Storm is still pretty much the same Ororo she has always been. If they go jacking with her history, I'm going to be hot.

And a lot of the recent retconning came at the hands of Disney. They gutted Scarlet Witch/Magneto/Quicksilver. Which is sad because that family tree was a great link. Now we can't even put Scarlet Witch and mutants in the same breath.

Though as I type this, did anybody else see how they mentioned Wanda as a "traitor" in PoX when describing House of M events and her eradication of mutants? refreshing it was mentioned again.
Yeah I hope they somehow reverse that tragic effect now that Mutants are back in the MCU.

I noticed that too about Wanda, they actually even refuse to classify her as a mutant, instead they call her ‘The Pretender’.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #1129
Thundercats-NO
Shadowhawk

Fun fact for those that actually follow Storm's comic book history.

Storm is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character was created by writer Len Wein and artist Dave Cockrum, first appearing in Giant-Size X-Men #1 (May 1975).

Cockrum's original concept for a character with the power of weather control was of a male.

This changed after he realized that multiple females with cat-related abilities, his first idea for a black female hero, had been created and were in development. Descended from a long line of African witch-priestesses, Storm is a member of a fictional subspecies of humans born with superhuman abilities known as mutants. She is able to control the weather and atmosphere and is considered to be one of the most powerful mutants on the planet.

----

Her backstory was later retconned to insinuate she was an American citizen born in NYC.

I think the character story arc suffered considerably after Jim Lee left Marvel.

Her best issues were from the Australian outback all the way upto when she became leader of the X-Men Gold Team.

Even her Mohawk look was derived from an offensive Mr T "joke".

Storm was an amalgam of two characters Cockrum created: The Black Cat and Typhoon. The Black Cat had Storm's costume, minus the cape, and was submitted for the new X-Men's original lineup.

Since the creative team did not want the X-Men to have an all-male lineup, editor Roy Thomas suggested that Cockrum make his character Typhoon, originally designed as a male, into the woman of the group. Cockrum liked the idea, and outfitted Typhoon with The Black Cat's costume, a cape, and a new haircut with white hair. His collaborators feared that Storm's white hair would make her look like a grandmother, but Cockrum, confident that he could consistently draw the character so that she would appear young, insisted on this aspect of her appearance.
Thundercats-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:32 AM   #1130
DLMEsquire44
The Spirit

How long has the X-23 Exclusive been Sold Out??? <GASP>
I planned to pick up one of these!
I never even noticed it go to Low Stock Remaining.
DLMEsquire44 is offline   Reply With Quote