Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 12-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Allison View Post
It's Apoxie, not Epoxy.

I bake my super sculpey in an electric oven that I use just for that.
But will baking it in a regular oven used for food every once have a negative effect on a person?
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #12
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

Well, I can't say either way, but it's not recommended. I've known people who got ill after a time of using their regular oven, but then again, they probably had other issues.

I don't do it because of the smell.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:04 AM   #13
thx3188
Doh!

When you say an electric oven that you use specifically for firing Sculpey, do you mean a full size electric oven or like a toasterish thing?
thx3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
smoked
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Hi, I am by far no expert on super sculpey, but I had the same concerns as you for using my cooking oven for curing the clay. I asked around, but no one really had any info so I contacted polyform the company that makes sculpey and this is the reply I got....

"Thank you for contacting Polyform Products. All of our products are non-toxic and do not contain any wheat, nut, dairy, animal by-products, sulfur or any other typical allergens. Essentially, our polymer clay is comprised of PVC resin, plasticizer, calcium carbonate and color pigments.

It is perfectly safe to bake your clay in the oven in which you prepare your food. Polymer clays do not give off toxic chemicals in the curing process. There is a slight odor, which is not harmful. If possible, have an oven hood fan in operation. It is a good policy to do this anyway when curing polymer clays, just in case it would scorch. We always recommend using an oven thermometer (available at most grocery or hardware stores). Many times, ovens are not calibrated accurately, and are actually hotter than the temperature set on the dial. Just pre-heat your oven for 15-20 minutes which should be long enough to reach the temperature on the oven thermometer needed to cure your project. If you would feel better doing so, just wipe the oven down with soap and water and rinse with clear water."
smoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #15
HELLION
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Very intersting! I also tend to agree with the company opnion. I have used this new oven since the beginning and I find that there is no residue left on the surface. Between cleanings I bake several times and the cloth/sponge has no other filth then normal.
The smell/fumes are horrible and I find hard to believe it's not toxic. I open all window in kitchen and the door out to garage. In one window I place a fan for good air flow in conjuction with the oven fan. This keeps the fumes from collecting in the house, still I send the kids out side for big bakes.
Does this mean I think it toxic, no, but it smells toxic so that's enough to keep me from inhaling freely.
I guess I thought if it had such a aweful smell it must be leaving something aweful behind. I thinks it's just a vapor that disappears with a good venting leaving behind no residue or flavor in my food.
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #16
Veritas
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I use sculpey...When I'm completing a statue, I'll toss in a pizza with it...

okok I'm kidding... I do only have one oven though....
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #17
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

I use a toaster oven. I like having a separation between my conventional cooking oven, and my industrial sculpting.

Cookies just don't taste the same if you're working and cooking on the same day.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #18
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Fast question on the sculpty.

I just bought some for the first time, and sorta building a box like structure. So i rolled out my sculpty and cut pieces out. Now i baked them and going to sand them down and have them piece together.

Can i piece them together with sculpty and bake it again, or is it better to use aves and not over bake the pieces i cut and sand up? Sorta new to it and want to make sure i dont blow the piece up.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #19
adee
Green Arrow

I have a similar question as V.V.

Can you use Aves on top of Sulpty to fix a crack then rebake? I also read about Fixit on the Aves site, would that be better to use?
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #20
HELLION
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Fast question on the sculpty.

I just bought some for the first time, and sorta building a box like structure. So i rolled out my sculpty and cut pieces out. Now i baked them and going to sand them down and have them piece together.

Can i piece them together with sculpty and bake it again, or is it better to use aves and not over bake the pieces i cut and sand up? Sorta new to it and want to make sure i dont blow the piece up.
not a easy question imo but I'll try. in both case the attaching of sections sounds like the hard part. the sculpty route could work and you can add sculpty to baked sculpty using Petroleum Jelly to make the fresh sculpey stick to baked. However the thinner the sculpty is over the baked or if there is not enough area to hold on to it could break free or chip off in connection areas.
the Aves sound like the better choice but I would still make the walls out of sculpty.
Also if you could use wire to connect the walls or sections like you would an armature for added strength. I would just drill out holes in baked section( if not to thin), add L shaped wire filling hole with aves, line up with hole in other section and finish connection seam with aves.
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote