Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 09-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #21
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Awesome dawg, just awesome. I like watching this piece progress and getting your commentary along the way. Put me down for one.

Just be careful and don't let nbr3 anywhere near it. The horny hobbit will maul it and you'll be back to square one.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:44 AM   #22
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
Put me down for one.

Just be careful and don't let nbr3 anywhere near it. The horny hobbit will maul it and you'll be back to square one.

Zurb... when I learn how to mast a cast or have someone do it for me, I would be happy to send one to ya. (course that's assuming that it won't suck when it's done)

I am showing at lot more pics than you normally see on a WIP, but I am doing that to kinda document the whole thing and get inside what a sculptor goes through. I am still new at this so I am discovering a great many things, so it's fun to share...

Speaking on the Horny Hobbit... haven't seen much of him on the board this week. I know he's out there though...
Old 09-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #23
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Well I am off to carve some more y'all. I am thinking I am still not convinced with the chest yet so there will be more revisions to show hopefully after the long weekend. Gotta not let it get me down that I am learning... want it to be perfect on the first try.

More to come.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:28 PM   #24
bat_collector
Galactus

Great job Kdawg

I'm impressed. Illustrator, graphic artist, impending sociopath with a hatred for quarterbacks. What can't you do?

Seriously, I don't have an artistic bone in my body. Four year olds make fun of my drawings (not kidding). I wish I could draw.

My re-introduction in the world of comics, though, has gotten me to want to write one, even if for myself. My dream is to write. I have an idea in my head right now I want to get down on paper.

Look forward to more of your shots.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:49 PM   #25
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

You are too kind Bat, you too Yoda (Zurb the Great)... I am just trying it out to see if there is anything there at all. I am an artist, make no mistake, I just have never tried sculpting in this medium before. I have spent years collecting these statues, and I thought... hmm I wonder if I could do that?

The answer is I don't completely know yet but I got a fire in me to find out.

If you find yourself wanting to write something man, I say go for it. Submit it to Marvel, DC, Top Cow, Image, do it... keep doing it if you love to, you won't regret it for a second. In fact write something and post it here for our entertainment. Why not???

I think I just had a breakthrough on the torso of this sucker. Tony Cipriano, and Zkulptor had a couple of tips for me and sure enough thanks to their experience they were right. It was about the coolest thing being on the Bowen forum seeing Villafane's Wolvie. Because of that I hounded Ray and made him let me design his website. In turn he introduced me to Tony Cipriano (who has a buttload of awesome stuff... including his incredible BATMAN black and white) and the Z saw I did Ray's site too and then we hooked up. Because of these guys and their advice and help I figured I would try this. It's a fever and being a creative person, It is a new outlet.

No digital cam, but I will post more shots asap.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:00 PM   #26
bat_collector
Galactus

I saw your website

I really liked the design of it. Great job, especially with all the lightning going on.

I'm really going to write down some things this weekend. A few months ago I was going to play some GURPS with some friends of mine and we all designed characters, but nothing became of it. I had figured out an interesting scenario for all our characters and thought it would be a good introduction story for a comic book or like medium.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to write it, just to see what I could do.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:02 PM   #27
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

looking good kdawg. keep it up
Old 09-03-2004, 06:19 PM   #28
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Thanks CK
Old 09-03-2004, 06:59 PM   #29
giro
The Riddler

this is why this site is great , getting to see work by so many other talented people and learning the process it takes to take on this kind of work , keep up the good work dawg i'll be watching , great stuff
giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 01:52 AM   #30
Ray Villafane
Sculptor
Sculptor

Hey Keith,
That is coming out very nice. Keep at it no matter how many "redos" of an area you encounter....that is just as normal as a 2-D artist using an eraser once in awhile.

I still need to send you those female anatomy pictures. They may help as it shows and explains what is underneath the form of the drawing you are going off of, plus allows you to indicate the subtle contours that may be absent from the original 2-D artwork but may look good if applied to the 3-D version.

Here are a couple of pics of what I mean. It helps to build the character up at times muscle by muscle this way limbs and stuff connect correctly. You can exaggerate and adjust the size of the muscle groups to match the 2-D's artist style. After you build it you then can smooth out the muscle groups so that they blend....sort of like smearing a layer of skin across it. I'll e-mail you more soon. I meant to yesterday but been busy. Busy is good though, school starts next week so I can put as big of a dent in this sculpture before work starts up.
Good luck. This is a GREAT START , especially considering it is your first attempt.

I'll send more pictures if you find these useful.

more pictures at
http://www.myspace.com/villafanestudios
Ray Villafane is offline   Reply With Quote