Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-10-2019, 03:52 AM   #51
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
Remember how Dr. Manhattans experiences time. He knows what is to occur, but he is powerless to make any changes.
again see above, he directly set into motion the entire show by asking her grandfather the question about why he did what he did. so he clearly can alter time as he sees fit.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:07 AM   #52
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

He is powerless to make any changes to the timeline. He asks the question because he always asks the question. He has no more control over his actions in the past, present or future than an actor reading lines written by someone else. Knowing the lines in advance does not permit him the free will to do or say anything any differently.

It's a variation on the Time is immutable theory of time travel except in his case he isn't traveling simply experiencing it all at once.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #53
adee
Green Arrow

Yep I interpreted it like Tetragrammaton, while he knows everything that will happen he can not change what is meant to be. He isn't influencing the future, to him the future already happened and he is powerless to change it.

What I want to know is what the hell is Veidt doing with that horseshoe? Is he pulling a shawshank redemption?
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #54
MrYac
Hercules

I do disagree with you guys, he could change it if he wanted. he's just too apathetic to care. he clearly changed the future with that conversation, the show 100% said it flat out.

as for Adrian I half expected there to be an egg hidden in the cake with Jon's power in it (after the dinner talk I think him giving somebody his powers has to at least appear to happen at some point)
Old 12-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #55
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
I do disagree with you guys, he could change it if he wanted. he's just too apathetic to care. he clearly changed the future with that conversation, the show 100% said it flat out.

as for Adrian I half expected there to be an egg hidden in the cake with Jon's power in it (after the dinner talk I think him giving somebody his powers has to at least appear to happen at some point)
I guess we'll see about Jon. I do totally get what you're saying Yac.

As for him passing his powers on I think it's Angelia, that's why he said it was important for her to see him walking on the pool.

This show has really kept you guessing and I’ve enjoyed it. Can’t wait to see the finale.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #56
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:

When did the show say that?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #57
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
When did the show say that?
when he directly changed the entire flow of the future in front of our eyes and she said "I just caused all this to happen"
Old 12-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #58
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
when he directly changed the entire flow of the future in front of our eyes and she said "I just caused all this to happen"
I figured that's what you were referring to but wanted to be sure. So what about the whole "which came first, the chicken or the egg" comment? Even Manhattan was intrigued by what just happened. Which still suggests he isn't willingly affecting the timeline and is only experiencing it.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #59
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I figured that's what you were referring to but wanted to be sure. So what about the whole "which came first, the chicken or the egg" comment? Even Manhattan was intrigued by what just happened. Which still suggests he isn't willingly affecting the timeline and is only experiencing it.
I guess, but I again default to his detachment from life for that attitude. there's really no reason he can't change things if he wanted to. there is no reason he couldn't have just teleported both of them far away at the end, or incinerated all the guys at once or turned the truck into a pile of jello other than he didn't want to do it.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #60
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
I guess, but I again default to his detachment from life for that attitude. there's really no reason he can't change things if he wanted to. there is no reason he couldn't have just teleported both of them far away at the end, or incinerated all the guys at once or turned the truck into a pile of jello other than he didn't want to do it.
I had the instinct to think the same thing. It seems like he could have done any number of things to prevent the tragic outcome. However, that is us assuming he can just do those things either because we think he has the choice to do so or all of those other options don't result in even worse outcomes. We haven't seen the last episode or where the writers are planning on taking this beyond this season. It could very well be that Manhattan understands this has to happen in order to bring about other events.