Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Auto Shop

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

question on starters

My daughter's 2003 Escape died last night when she was leaving work. I tried to jump it with my mid size truck and it wouldn't turn over. Ended up calling the service place we signed her up for when we got the car. The tow truck came and used the portal charger and after a couple tries, we got it to turn over. Next morning it was dead again. I tried jumping it with the Suburban and couldn't get it to turn over. I took the battery out and took it to an auto parts place and they said the battery was fully charged. I figured it was the starter so I came back with the battery and put it back in. On a lark, I tried it again and it turned over this time with no problem. I turned it off and on again a few times and it seemed fine. I am not all that familiar with every single car part but can a starter go bad on and off or does it just die? Not sure if there was just something lose with the connection to the battery or if it could really be the starter.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
ComputerFly
The Phantom

It may not be the starter. Was there corrosion on the cable, around the inner circumference where it connects to the terminals? This just happened with my wife's work van, Ford Windstar. A trick if this ever happens is to pour a soft drink on it. That eats away the insulating corossion, and allows the vehicle to start. Be sure to use a wire brush along the inside of the cable, and on the battery terminals when you reconnect the battery.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

thanks, it still seems to be starting up with no problems. I used a wire brush on one of the leads that looked a little rusty.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Frankierock
Omega Red

Also might want to check the Starter Relay fuse..Had this with my Jeep a while back...Wound up being the fuse that was going. $20 fix.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
dhtiffy
Doh!

Sounds like an earth problem, usually the mounting bolts create the earth path (return to negative) sometimes a bare braid connecting the motor to the car chassis somewhere.

Keep em clean and protect them with petroleum jelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I used a wire brush on one of the leads that looked a little rusty.
dhtiffy is offline   Reply With Quote