Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

View Poll Results: Captain America vs Batman
Batman 17 26.15%
Captain America 48 73.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Captain America vs Batman: I Change my Mind

I was reading the OHOTMU last night and read up on Cap. I dont have it in front of me but allow me to paraphrase:

"He is stronger, faster, and more agile than any Olympic athlete that has ever competed. His reaction time is 10 times that of a normal man. The supersolider serum doesnt allow him to tire or experience muscle fatigue. he can bench press 800 pounds."

Also, they discuss Cap's shield as being "a blend of Vibranium and Adamantium and that it's virtually indestructible."

This is much different from the wikipedia version...

Powers and abilities
Captain America has no superhuman powers, although as a result of the Super-Soldier serum and vita-ray treatment, he is transformed from a frail young man into a "perfect" specimen of human development and conditioning. Captain America's strength, endurance, agility, speed, reflexes, and durability are at the highest limits of natural human potential. It has been established that Rogers' body regularly creates the super-soldier serum; it does not wear off.

The formula enhances all of his metabolic functions and prevents the build-up of fatigue poisons in his muscles, giving him endurance far in excess of an ordinary human being. This accounts for many of his extraordinary feats, including bench pressing 1100 pounds (500kg) and running a mile (1.6 km) in little more than a minute.[61] Furthermore, his enhancements are the reason why he was able to survive being frozen in suspended animation for decades. Rogers is also unable to become intoxicated by alcohol and is immune to many diseases, as he also heals faster than normal.

Mentally, Rogers' battle experience and training make him an expert tactician and an excellent field commander, with his teammates frequently deferring to his orders in battle. Rogers' reflexes and senses are also extraordinarily keen. He is a master of multiple martial arts. Years of practice with his indestructible shield make him able to aim and throw it with almost unerring accuracy. His skill with his shield is such that he can attack multiple targets in succession with a single throw or even cause a boomerang-like return from a throw to attack an enemy from behind. In the comics, he is regarded by other skilled fighters as one of the best hand-to-hand combatants in the Marvel Universe.

Weapons and equipment
Captain America uses several shields throughout his history, the most recognizable of which is a nigh-indestructible discus-shaped shield made from a fusion of vibranium with an experimental steel alloy. This alloy was created by accident and never duplicated, although efforts to reverse-engineer it results in the creation of adamantium. Cable reveals to Captain America that this shield still exists in one of the possible futures; Cable carries it into battle and brandishes it as a symbol.Captain America often uses his shield as an offensive throwing weapon.

I dont know who writes the wiki articles, but I'll side with the original Marvel Handbook.

Anyway, I change my vote. I don't think Batman could beat Cap. I just think Cap may be the ultimate human weapon, and he's just to strong, too fast, and too tough.

I know this is kind of opening up an old VS, but what say you...
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
rychehitman
Galactus

Batman wins because after hours of a standstill battle he would fight dirty to score the win before Steve would ever think to do that.

In a fair fight Cap could take him....that is why Bruce would not fight fair...he'd fight to win.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Captain America. Again. I just don't think Batman, even fighting dirty, can come out on top in this battle.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
hawkeyethearcher

anyone writes the wiki thats why it is never a good reference. also you can go in and change what anyone else writes in there. wiki is awful.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Alex655321

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
Captain America. Again. I just don't think Batman, even fighting dirty, can come out on top in this battle.
Ditto !
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Big fan of the Bat but, whether by the numbers or any other measure, it's Cap.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Makkari1
Cyclops

Batman is a Detective of the first order very few can match his detective ability. batman is also a expert hand to hand combant and only a select few can match him but with that said Cap is a step up from Bats and in any fight Cap will beat Batman.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
twoferflinchin
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Another vote for Cap. Depending upon the circumstances, Cap will fight dirty too. In a drawn out fight (which it would be), Batman would tire long before Cap would.
twoferflinchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I don't see much difference between the original MU and wiki entries.

As for strength, the handbook have always used the " lift (press) under ideal conditions " phrase. This implies a military or standing press, lifting the weight above one's head while standing. It doesn't suprise me that Cap can bench press more weight than he can standing press.

As for beating Batman, really depends on the location and weapons they have available to them. In a ring, bare fisted, I'd almost always favor Cap.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

Cap is dead
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote