Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #11
Vracula
Jedi Order

I think diorama's need to be visceral to sell,they need to have destruction on display,lot of drama like a paused action scene.That's why hulk dioramas ar so popular,the david vs goliath scenario is what sells dioramas.Flying kicks get boring real quick,sorry.They do not incite the same kind of emotional response.

I am suprised SS hasnt done an avengers Diorama.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #12
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theokan View Post
One major reason why the X-men vs Sentinel dio 1 sells is because it's in scale with Bowen/Koto, a lot of people can add a Rogue or Wolverine etc to expand their diorama, it lets you be a little creative and create your own display.

The collectible industry as a whole has been around long enough that there are now industry standards, namely 1:4 and 1:6 (1:7) scale, it makes sense that those scales are more sought after, and imo companies need to respect that. After SSC switch the diorama line to a smaller scale they just don't sell the same anymore.

----
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

I personally love dios own a few myself

Wolverine vs sabretooth
Iron man Vs Namor
Magneto vs Sentinel
Dr octopus vs Spiderman

I love the way it brings to life the characters . They may not be big sellers but look at new trend XM started first with Hulkbuster . It's a diorama in every sense : get two characters to display side by side or one inside the other essentially making iron mans armour the diorama. It's groundbreaking

Next the Hulk Transformation again it's two figure display with options to remove Bruce banner from lab setting. Both are stunning examples of what thinking outside box can do but.... there is major cost involved in 1/4 master pieces like these. Hence if you do see dios it's smaller scale because let's face it you need 5K US plus for those two behemoths alone without shipping. Ouch!!!

Be careful what you guys wish for . 1/4 scale dios would be a nightmare
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #14
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I don't think Colosus is a cash cow but the diorama is amazing. Arguably the best diorama ever. It has such a strong presence. The characters are probably at their best poses ever with how Cylops shooting his eye beam and how the Colosus lifting the defeated sentinel's head over his head... Very powerful.

I wish i had the piece but it was long sold out when i started to collect... well... If we look at this from the bright side, i don't need to get the rest of the line which are medicore statues to complete the line. That would be a drag...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #15
WolverineFan
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post

Wolverine vs sabretooth
Iron man Vs Namor
Magneto vs Sentinel
Dr octopus vs Spiderman

I love the way it brings to life the characters . They may not be big sellers but look at new trend XM started first with Hulkbuster . It's a diorama in every sense : get two characters to display side by side or one inside the other essentially making iron mans armour the diorama. It's groundbreaking

Next the Hulk Transformation again it's two figure display with options to remove Bruce banner from lab setting. Both are stunning examples of what thinking outside box can do but.... there is major cost involved in 1/4 master pieces like these. Hence if you do see dios it's smaller scale because let's face it you need 5K US plus for those two behemoths alone without shipping. Ouch!!!

I love dioramas myself. I have all the ones you mentioned except spider man vs dr octopus? Who made that? Custom? Iron studios is taking over the diorama role and doing an excellent job. The latest Batman vs Bane was well done and was even up for best medium statue of the year. Wolverine vs Juggernaut is being released in February and I seen a Lobo diorama preview that has massive potential. They are perfect size of 1/6, and I think Superman vs Doomsday is 1/5. But to agree with you, XM is doing 1/4 dioriomas and most people don’t have the space or can’t afford it. The X-MEN Sentinel diorioma is very ambitious with six X-Men and the sentinel. Hulkbuster is certainly like a diorama. I ordered it myself. That’s a more reasonable one due to it now have a total of 7 characters in all like the X-Men one.
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #16
Bernie21
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstgamerever View Post
Hm. Not many releases so far support your thesis mate. The only diorama that's a home run has been X-Men v Sentinel, and specifically the first part of the diorama. Parts two and three struggle to sell lower than retail. Virtually every other comic diorama has been poor. I saw Hulk v Silver Surfer today at less than RRP and didn't even look twice. X-Force, the X-men one with Mimic, Draken and the others (can't remember what the name is now), Daredevil v Punisher, all the Spider-Man dios, Iron-man vs Namor, Captain America v Red Skull, Psylocke v Spiral, Fantastic Four, list goes on. No other diorama was successful. The exception is maybe the Spidey vs Hulk with Traffic Light and Wolverine v Sabertooth. Both those are just OK IMO.

I'm probably wrong though...
I disagree, there's a few diorama's that escape me and they are must adds including the Colusses Sentinel Diorama;The Hulk Spiderman, and the Wolverine Sabertooth one are great and hard tyo hunt down. Some of the pieces you mentioned there I own and they are vastly underated. Additionally, the Hulk v Wolrverine Maquette they just released is phenomenal. So I think the issue w some is design. Not that Im down on Museum poses or anything, but the diorama takes my 2d characters from the pages and makes them 3d and almost brings them to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Good ones do sell pretty good, you mentioned them.
Hulk vs Spidey goes for some big bucks, Wolverine vs Sabretooth is very good imho, Thanos and Mistress death is just average to me but it's held in high regard from many out there.
But not just that, look at the recent Iron Studios Magneto vs Sentinel and Spidey vs Venom (I think it was Spidey and Venom, not sure). And expectations around the XM Sentinel diorama were huge.
They only need to pick the right characters and make the right artistic choices, things like Superman vs Lex in power armor would sell without doubt, I honestly see why things like Iron Man vs Namor or Devil vs Punisher are not really that much appealing (most of them are very dated, too).
I think Prime1 mentioned their DC comics license will be 1:5 and very dynamic, we'll see if the demand is there.
I agree with you here. I look forward to more being made, even if it's just one at a time. It's a shame they really dont do more, because they are so great, but along with good characters, dynamic poses along with one piece scults help it be more desirable.

Quote:

Wolverine vs sabretooth
Iron man Vs Namor
Magneto vs Sentinel
Dr octopus vs Spiderman

I currently own
Hulk V Wolverine
Ironman v Namor
Spiderman v Venom
Daredevil v Punisher
and Psylocke v Spiral

Let me tell you that Ironman v Namor piece is PHENOMENAL!!! Though Hulk v Wolverine is my favorite, the Namor piece though might be right behind it and not by much. Also though the Spiderman v Venom one is great, the only drawback is that Venom is a bust, but that piece is so Dynamic in the way that they depict Spiderman tusseling w venom, grabbing fingers, tongue, whatever he can to keep the upper hand, I love it, very impressive. Psylocke v Spiral is to me the least impressive and I'm not a fan of all the several pieces it took to put it together, but it still loks good as does the Daredevil piece. My point is that, great and original poses and A & B list characters go a long way to making a must have and some of the pieces that people didn't quite care for are in fact really undervalued.

While they don't release new ones, I'll look to track down those missing ones like Colosses & Cyclops or Wolverine v Saberthooth, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I love dioramas myself. I have all the ones you mentioned except spider man vs dr octopus? Who made that? Custom? Iron studios is taking over the diorama role and doing an excellent job. The latest Batman vs Bane was well done and was even up for best medium statue of the year. Wolverine vs Juggernaut is being released in February and I seen a Lobo diorama preview that has massive potential. They are perfect size of 1/6, and I think Superman vs Doomsday is 1/5. But to agree with you, XM is doing 1/4 dioriomas and most people don’t have the space or can’t afford it. The X-MEN Sentinel diorioma is very ambitious with six X-Men and the sentinel. Hulkbuster is certainly like a diorama. I ordered it myself. That’s a more reasonable one due to it now have a total of 7 characters in all like the X-Men one.
Same here. I'm a big dio fan like you and I'm very happy w what Iron Studios is doing, but I was also happy w what SS was doing before. XM is truely not relastic for me at those prices or sizes. There's potentially 3 -4 pieces I'd be interested in but atlast, I can't responsibly do that. I really would like to see SS rev it up w their dioramas like they did last year.Even just a piece here or there, they donlt lose much by dropping one or two per year; Specially w all the other characters they drop in a year.

I think thatr Spiderman Dr Octupus he's refering to is the Hamilton Pieces. I have that one and the Spiderman vs Green Golblin. Nice pieces, though small and older. I like them, though not all. There's 4 or 5.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #17
WolverineFan
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie21 View Post
I disagree, there's a few diorama's that escape me and they are must adds including the Colusses Sentinel Diorama;The Hulk Spiderman, and the Wolverine Sabertooth one are great and hard tyo hunt down. Some of the pieces you mentioned there I own and they are vastly underated. Additionally, the Hulk v Wolrverine Maquette they just released is phenomenal. So I think the issue w some is design. Not that Im down on Museum poses or anything, but the diorama takes my 2d characters from the pages and makes them 3d and almost brings them to life.

I agree with you here. I look forward to more being made, even if it's just one at a time. It's a shame they really dont do more, because they are so great, but along with good characters, dynamic poses along with one piece scults help it be more desirable.

I currently own
Hulk V Wolverine
Ironman v Namor
Spiderman v Venom
Daredevil v Punisher
and Psylocke v Spiral

Let me tell you that Ironman v Namor piece is PHENOMENAL!!! Though Hulk v Wolverine is my favorite, the Namor piece though might be right behind it and not by much. Also though the Spiderman v Venom one is great, the only drawback is that Venom is a bust, but that piece is so Dynamic in the way that they depict Spiderman tusseling w venom, grabbing fingers, tongue, whatever he can to keep the upper hand, I love it, very impressive. Psylocke v Spiral is to me the least impressive and I'm not a fan of all the several pieces it took to put it together, but it still loks good as does the Daredevil piece. My point is that, great and original poses and A & B list characters go a long way to making a must have and some of the pieces that people didn't quite care for are in fact really undervalued.

While they don't release new ones, I'll look to track down those missing ones like Colosses & Cyclops or Wolverine v Saberthooth, etc

Same here. I'm a big dio fan like you and I'm very happy w what Iron Studios is doing, but I was also happy w what SS was doing before. XM is truely not relastic for me at those prices or sizes. There's potentially 3 -4 pieces I'd be interested in but atlast, I can't responsibly do that. I really would like to see SS rev it up w their dioramas like they did last year.Even just a piece here or there, they donlt lose much by dropping one or two per year; Specially w all the other characters they drop in a year.

I think thatr Spiderman Dr Octupus he's refering to is the Hamilton Pieces. I have that one and the Spiderman vs Green Golblin. Nice pieces, though small and older. I like them, though not all. There's 4 or 5.
I don’t understand why sideshow isn’t doing another diorama. Wolverine vs Hulk has been a very good seller thus far. The exclusive sold out very quickly and there was a lot of them made. I’m sure the regular is selling well also. It seems like almost every member on this forum has that piece and loves it. They need to take two other popular characters and do another. It doesn’t look like it’s happening for 2018 unfortunately.
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #18
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

The Dr. Octopus vs Spiderman I'm referring to had ES of 600 made by diamond select and it was from Ultimate comics run. It's htf and even harder to find where tentacles on doc ock are not broken. Extremely fragile . It's not big and not very detailed but such a cool
Piece because Doc Ock looks to have handed spidey his ass!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #19
Bernie21
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I don’t understand why sideshow isn’t doing another diorama. Wolverine vs Hulk has been a very good seller thus far. The exclusive sold out very quickly and there was a lot of them made. I’m sure the regular is selling well also. It seems like almost every member on this forum has that piece and loves it. They need to take two other popular characters and do another. It doesn’t look like it’s happening for 2018 unfortunately.
I'm w you, I don't get it. Plus, they are carrying the the IS Batman v Bane that sold out, so I'm sure they are aware that it can move. I'm hopeful something can still come out later, but we'll see...
With so many one on one vs pieces, I'd like to see something different like that custom wolverine vs the hand dio that he's up against a few or a couple smaller profile characters vs a higher profile villain, etc...

Quote:
The Dr. Octopus vs Spiderman I'm referring to had ES of 600 made by diamond select and it was from Ultimate comics run. It's htf and even harder to find where tentacles on doc ock are not broken. Extremely fragile . It's not big and not very detailed but such a cool
Piece because Doc Ock looks to have handed spidey his ass!

Not going to lie... That's pretty siick! I hadn't seen that before, what scale is it?
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #20
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

It's small 1/10 I'm thinking so no issues finding display space for it lol