Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Thor57
Teen Titans

Photography

We have some great photographers here, so I was hoping to get some advice. Keep in mind, I'm very ignorant on the subject, and have done no research as I thought I'd get some first hand advice before searching google.

I have a Fujifilm S4530 camera. It takes average pictures really. I was told to get a lens to get really great pictures. Would a lens from a different company work? I found a used Nikon 100-300mm f/5.6 AIS manual focus lens.

1. Will the two work together? Or is more equipment needed?

2. What is considered a good option to take quality pictures that are the norm here? Namely, Bmutha, Risingstar, Orangecrush, even the ones Sarah took are great. Not sure what mm is needed or even what the f/5.6 AIS even means.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Here in the next 7 to 8 months, I'll start finally designing my display room, and would really like to have the camera equipment to do it justice.

Thanks guys and gals!
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Old 11-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Typically lenses will not fit another company's camera body. Sometimes there are adapters, but I do not know how well that would work. Companies like Sigma and Tamron make lenses for the "big boy" camera companies like Canon and Nikon. They are generally a cheaper alternative, but can still take great pictures.

The "f" number indicates the maximum aperature size (i.e. the maximum lens opening). A smaller number equates to a larger max opening. Generally you want a lens capable of taking in more light, so look for a lens marked with a smaller "f" number (most of my lenses are f2.8). When taking pictures, adjusting to a larger f number will give a greater depth of field (i.e. the background will be more in focus)...smaller f numbers will give a more blurred background.

The "mm" range is essentially the zoom range. A smaller number means more of a wide angle shot (i.e. 15 mm) vs a larger number is more of a telephoto shot (i.e. 100 mm).

I actually find that fixed "prime" lenses (i.e. a fixed 50mm lens) take the most crisp photos.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
BGMchocolate
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Haha, Kodak Flash! That does bring up the eternal argument of artist being the deciding factor or equipment being the deciding factor. But that is different subject.

Well as for the questions.

1. Unfortunately you cannot mount that Nikon lens to your Fuji S4530. It looks like the lens on the camera is fixed on and cannot be removed. So that leads to you continuing to use that camera, or buy a camera body to use with your lens. That is if you really want to use that lens.

2. You really don't need anything spectacular to take decent photos of your statues. You can do quite a lot with an entry level digital SLR camera and a 18-55mm lens found in most retail kits. If you can/want to, buy a 35mm prime lens for your new camera. A 50mm prime lens is also versatile. You can't lose with either. Their 2.0- apertures will help blur out the background into a nice colorful texture and really make your focus point pop out.

What makes a picture really stand out is to utilize great lighting. If you can, take your pictures outdoors on a sunny day.

Since statues have such small details, stabilizing your camera is important too. Set it on a tripod. If you don't have a tripod, a table would do too. Taking pictures of statues is infinitely easier when your camera is sitting still.
BGMchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMchocolate View Post
What makes a picture really stand out is to utilize great lighting. If you can, take your pictures outdoors on a sunny day.

Since statues have such small details, stabilizing your camera is important too. Set it on a tripod. If you don't have a tripod, a table would do too. Taking pictures of statues is infinitely easier when your camera is sitting still.
Two very important points. Unless you have a very steady hand, a tripod is almost a must.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
Two very important points. Unless you have a very steady hand, a tripod is almost a must.
Sorry, but nobody, and I mean nobody, has a steady enough hand to negate the benefits of a tripod. Even at 1/500 sec exposure, the simple click of the shutter mechanism will impart some movement to even the steadiest hand and therefore some blur to a photo. If you have a tripod, use it. You may think you can keep the camera still, but you really just can't.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
ONEYE
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzn6yKTVcfs

Understand the three elements discussed in that video.

A tripod and set your camera on a 2-5 second delay. You don't want to touch the camera after you fully depressed the button.

I've improved a lot over the years by watching how to videos and asking good photographers for advice. Just make sure when you ask them, that you provide a picture of their work. Then ask how they set up for the photograph.

https://www.facebook.com/RJKisielka
ONEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEYE View Post
[url]
A tripod and set your camera on a 2-5 second delay. You don't want to touch the camera after you fully depressed the button.
That's a good idea!