Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 04-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #11
grphyx1
Kingpin

Not bad for $539
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:57 AM   #12
Gokanma
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Sorry if this question is stupid but how do we know if a statue is licensed or not?
Gokanma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:37 AM   #13
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokanma View Post
Sorry if this question is stupid but how do we know if a statue is licensed or not?
It's not always clear - especially when you start getting to the more "obscure" Intellectual Properties.

From a purely artistic - rule of cool - perspective, licensed or unlicensed is pretty irrelevant to the average collector.

The only caveat being, companies specializing in unlicensed products tend to be, well, let's say "less orgsnised" - in that, if you encounter a problem with your purchase, in most cases, you're sh*t out of luck.

And there in lies a way to determine if a product is likely to be licensed or unlicensed, the company selling it. If it's a well known I.P. (e.g Star Wars or Marvel) coming from Sideshow, it's guaranteed to be licensed, if it's coming from a more or less, unknown company - the chances of the product being unlicensed, grow exponentially.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:06 AM   #14
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Apparently not licenced, although I'm not sure how they're getting away with it. I know ghibli closed but they have a park opening in November so they surely wouldn't allow these pieces
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:54 PM   #15
zzz
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokanma View Post
Usually for promo pics if there is copyright text, then it is licensed. Unlicensed typically don't do that, otherwise they can be sued for defamation and other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
Apparently not licenced, although I'm not sure how they're getting away with it. I know ghibli closed but they have a park opening in November so they surely wouldn't allow these pieces
They can get away with stuff depending on laws where they are based from. Whether it's worth going to mainland China, trying to find who is running the unlicensed studio, and suing along with putting in funds, is another question.
zzz is offline   Reply With Quote